Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
GretchenStar

Regional Dance America/Pacific

sgmca

SFB2b

my school, in northern california, joined RDA pacific last year. we just had our adjudication on monday. this will be the first time i go and i'm very excited! there are very few schools involved in RDA around here...

AmaG520

We just had adjudication last night...(RDA/Pacific)...We showed two pieces, and he said he will have a hard time decided...in our region, I don't think they are having a gala night....*tear*....i liked it...it showcased the best...

GretchenStar

Our adjudication was last Friday (also Pacific region). The adjudicator, Alun Jones, was very positive (some are more critical). He had nice things to say about our class (even though he self-proclaims that he hates watching class). Does anyone know when the Pacific region's adjudication tour is over? We're supposed to find out which piece(s) is/are chosen by no later than 2 weeks after the last adjudication.

And yes, we don't have a Gala night anymore, like we used to. The performances on each night are mixed. And the "gala night", the one where you dress up, is going to be Wednesday night (when everyone arrives). I think there's going to be a mini-performance by some RDA alumni. Then the emerging performance will be on Thursday late afternoon before the 1st performance.

I don't mind not having a Gala night anymore- our company (in Southern California) has been on gala night several times and we rarely got to see the other Gala pieces because we were either warming up or getting changed for the dinner. This way, we can see a variety of pieces.

mini cooper

sgmca,

The piece that was chosen for Gala night includes all of our corps and principal dancers. That was a nice thing for us because it really is a tight-knit group. I will look for your daughter, and her group.

For those of you in the Pacific region....our Festival is running on different days this year than our group is used to. (This is only my second year so I don't have a "tradition" about this). There is a major week of standardized school testing in Texas the week of our Festival. Normally, our's runs Thursday through Saturday with the Gala on Saturday night. However, this year tests for some run through Thursday and others through Friday. So, our company is jumping on a bus Friday afternoon, and checks in Friday night. The whole event really begins on Saturday, and runs through Monday night. Tuesday is the long bus ride home. We have just found out that the Monday is a school holiday so dd only has to miss only one day of school. For us this ends up being an excused abscence.

I hope things go well for all.

mc

:wink:

dmcclure

YIKES! It is coming up fast!!!

Okay, here are some teasers for the RDA Southwest Festival.....

These are mainly for the chaperones, faculty and directors, because that is the committee I'm on:

Chocolate fountains, Texas Wine and Cheese reception, Coffee and decadent dessert party after performances.....

For dancers, I know that they are having a really fun DJ for the dancer's party and I think extra boys are being vetted to attend and dance with all the girls. I'm also getting food for the dancer's refreshment area....so we will have fresh fruit, yogurt, granola bars, water bottles, etc. set up around the studios for after class quick snacks. Two of the studios being used are especially beautiful in historic hotel ballrooms.

I'll post the faculty later...have to find the folder from that meeting.

Mainly, I'm raising money and raising more money and trying to raise a little money!!!!!! :yes:

mini cooper

Thanks for the teasers. I need something to get me through tax season!

I know you have worked hard, and we appreciate it already. The dk's are really looking forward to this Festival. They loved the person who did the adjudication. She was very down to earth, and approachable.

DD found a dress for Gala night this weekend. I know I am coming but I'm not quite sure in what capacity - probably a chaperone.

mc

:)

GretchenStar

The programs for the Pacific region have been released. The emerging concert is about 1 hour- there's maybe 15 pieces but they are (I think) all under 5 minutes long. Our two emerging pieces were both chosen.

Our company is performing on Saturday night, but as I mentioned before- our region moved away from separating the performances based on what "ranking" the piece received (no specific "Gala" night anymore). I'm not in the piece this year (which is a first for me) so I'll get to watch all of the pieces. I'm kind of excited about that because you always hear people talking about how great such-and-such piece was and it just happens to be the one that I didn't get to see. I'm in both emerging pieces so I will get to perform...

tendu0228

Congratulations to all who have had pieces selected. We are in the Southeastern region and DD's school had their adjudication last weekend. Daughter said that the adjudicator, Leslie Jane Pessemier, gave very detailed comments regarding technique, choreography, music and costumes.

AmaG520

We got our information yesterday too. One of our pieces is going to performed on Friday night. (We didn't have any emerging this year.) It was amazing because the piece was from our choreographer who won the Montecello award last year in Emerging! She was so excited to get her piece chosen on her first year with "the big ones." I look forward to seeing everyone in teh Pacific region this year!

DaNcErKeL86

Hello!! I am a member of the Southwest region. After four years in the region this will be our companies first time to perform on Gala. I am very excited! Also we will be performing two pieces on emerging...one of which I choreographed! It sounds like festival will be nice this year and I am looking forward to it.

AmaG520

Wow DancerKel, Congratuations!!

Guest Soccerbeamgurl

My company is a part of the SouthEastern one SERBA and our ajudication is coming up this Tuesday. But it is gonna be really hard for me because I was the lead in one of these pieces and they just now pulled me out because they said this other girl captured the part. So it shall be tuff for me because I have put so much of me into the piece and now I will not get to do it but the other piece we are doing should be fun. Can't wait for Mrs. Pessemier because she did a choreography work shop with us! should be fun goodluck to all!

Momof3darlings

Soccerbeamgirl--sorry to hear you've been pulled. Everything that happens is something to learn from. I hope you'll use this as a time to dig deep and find the positive as well as re-focus your energy into fixing any reasons they might have had to pull you. Tough lessons, but lessons none the less.

vj

Guest Soccerbeamgurl

Yes I think I am doing well but not my mom :grinning:

Leslie Jane Pessemier really liked us tonight and gave us lots of good input. The only major thing she said was a couple people force turn out and I have been doing it just a little so i will stop right away because I know it is bad for me. Can't wait for SERBa though because we will either be doing a really cool piece "Caught in the Breath" or "Valse Fantasy" both great pieces so have fun at your festivals everyone!