Ballet Talk for Dancers
EmilyPdancer

Who do you think was the most influential dancer?

Danzatriz

The Guernica or the Mona Lisa? Monet's Water Lilies or VanGoghs SunFlowers? :P

Luckly, art is rarely matter of choosing one over the other and we are often able to see beyond comparisons of better or worse.

I for one find there are far too few Picassos in the ballet world to dicriminate amongst them.

Anna or Alicia, Nijinsky or Balanchine... all major art-works if you ask me :D

Hamorah

Well I think I agree with the Pavlova votes - she really brought ballet to the masses and I doubt that there is one person in the dance world who has never heard of her and she's probably one of the few dancers that lay people have heard of too! I also agree that Markova and Fonteyn were the most famous British dancers, but I'm not sure that they had the same world-wide influence as Pavlova.

I think that Nureyev had an enormous effect on the male dancers in England when he defected. I was a student at the Royal Ballet School then and I know that even the girls style that was being taught changed considerably with the arrival of Nureyev.

As far as I'm concerned my personal favourite is still Baryshnikov, although I don't believe that he was the most influential dancer of all time. However, I'm pretty sure that he greatly improved the image of male ballet dancers in the West, when he defected!

Edited by Hamorah

xlilnysweetix

Suzanna Farell , he quality of movement is unlike any dancer I have ever seen

balletboyrhys

catherine de medeci, without which none of this would have been possible.

Victoria Leigh

Well, she was certainly influential, by bringing ballet into the courts, however, I don't believe that she herself was really a dancer. However, I could be wrong...and if so, Mr. Johnson will set us straight I'm sure! :rolleyes:

Mel Johnson

She personally enjoyed dancing very much, but for Le Ballet Comique de la Reine, she was sort of the mega-producer. After all, it's tough to get "special effects by Leonardo da Vinci"!

ToThePointe

My vote goes to Marie Taglioni.

While she may or may not have been the first to rise up, she really pioneered pointe work. :clapping:

Skye90

Hey 'To The Pointe'.....I agree with you on Marie Taglioni. She made ballet etherial (sp?) about bought about pointe. There would be no such thing as the 'romantic' style with out! Pointe is a huge part of ballet today :thumbsup:

Guest Bryan Lawrence
Who do ya'll think was (or is) the most influental dancer?

personally, i think Anna Povlova was. she basically brought and introduced ballet to america. she introduced wonderful dances to us (like the Dying Swan), and many others. i feel that with outh her, we may not have developed as great a dance variaty here in america.....what do ya'll think?

I think it's an impossible question. Fun to ask but really is there such a thing? There are so many dancers who have influenced other dancers and also influenced the progress of dance. How is it possible to pinpoint one individual? I think you get different things from different dancers. I worked with Rufolph Nureyev a lot and in spite of what I think of him as a person, I know he influenced many dancers. The same applies to Erik Bruhn but Erik was a more reasonable person. I know that I even influenced people myself which is what keeps me going in my old age!

danceintheblood

knock, knock

I think Sylvie Guillem has had an influence in recent times - we can see it in the push for young dancers extensions to be higher, higher, higher!!

I actually think she is beautiful to watch.

Guest dancing<><piper

I agree with Brian Lawrence that there can't really be such a thing, but I think Anna Pavlova and Mikhail Barishnikov did a lot, to metion a few. Also George Balanchine.

Guest carjorud74

Pavlova, Nijinsky, Nureyev & Fonteyn, and Barishnikov. For me the 4 most influential BALLET dancers of the 20th century!

Edited by carjorud74

Marga
.... Madame DeBoise(founder-the Royal Ballet) ..... Lincoln Kirksen-helped to form NYCB with Balachine.

I think you mean Ninette de Valois, not DeBoise, and Lincoln Kirstein, not Kirksen! :wub:

Although you identified them, with others, as "non-ballet dancers", the topic of this thread being "Who do think was the most influential dancer?" disqualifies both de Valois and Kirstein, and most choreographers, as choices.

Neither one was known as a dancer, although de Valois (born Edris Stannus) did dance for a couple of years with the Ballets Russes. Kirstein never was a dancer. He attempted a few ballet classes as an adult, but soon found that he was not cut out for it at all.

The lifelong dedication and work on behalf of ballet, however, in both cases, was extraordinary.