Ballet Talk for Dancers

Mobadt   
Mobadt

My DD auditioned last year, and we were told in the meeting during that audition the video was for all interested in scholarship money. They said that it also helped for anyone on 'the bubble', but were pretty clear if you did not send in a video, they would not consider you for a dance scholarship. The audition she went to was pretty crowded - about 80 or so, but the room is huge! so it wasn't an issue. She did like the audition class a lot. [. . . .] My daughter was not accepted into the program. She could have auditioned again in January, but chose not to as she decided she didn't want a big school life. 

I want to wish everyone's dancer luck this weekend! Hope they all do great! :-)

Edited by dancemaven
Removed hearsay information per BT4D Rules and Polices.

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

This year, the video is mandatory for all auditioners.  The kids can attend the live audition and then get the video submitted by 11/1 (I think 11/1 is correct but make sure you check the website on that).  Even if you're accepted prior to the video cut off date, I think they want that video submitted.

My dd had a lot of fun at the audition.  She felt better about the dance program after this audition.  We asked a lot of questions about the amount of ballet technique classes and pointe available and she made it clear that the students could take daily ballet and pointe classes if they wanted. They also implied that there was a lot of partnering available.  What I did not get a very clear answer on was the rep that the students have a chance to learn.  I know that they don't perform very much clasical rep and they do not do any full length ballets.  It's just not that type of program.  

While it's not my dd's first choice, if she got a sweet scholarship and if we could not afford her other top choice schools, I think she would feel good about this program.

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

Oh, and there were 98 auditioners this weekend ! 😳

cmalltheway   
cmalltheway

Great meeting LadyElle & her DD at audition! Out of 98 auditioned, only 5 were young men with various background and training. Like what Lady Elle said, my DS also walked away with more positive impression of the program. Here's what he sent to a family friend:

"I think the dance program definitely has more pros than cons. They have tap, they seem to be teaching, not telling, and they have a lot of guys. The cons are that tap only happens once or twice every semester and it is hot there." LOL! DS is obviously a tapper but well trained in ballet.

Overall a great experience and now we wait for the 3-6 wks while they collate all 6 faculty members' audition notes to determine the acceptance outcome.

sheahuang   
sheahuang

Lady Elle- 98! Yikes- that's huge for the first audition. Yes you can have Ballet 5 days a week if you want. The Ballet 200 aka Ballet 1 (100 is for nonmajors) meets MWF and Ballet 300 aka Ballet 2 meet T and TH and 400 aka Ballet 3 meets MWF. To get ballet 5 days a week, you would take 2 different technique classes. Placement depends on Audition results and when you come for Orientation on campus, Ms Lowe will let you know what you can take. The double major issue is the main reason my son chose UA. Though just navigating those waters now and finding it challenging,  it is definitely doable but you must be proactive with talking to the various advisors and staying VERY organized. 

sheahuang   
sheahuang

cmallthway - Sorry I didn't see your Wed post asking for prep suggestions. Hope the audition went well. If you have any other questions I will try to help. We just went through this whole process last year.

cmalltheway   
cmalltheway

sheahuang, thank you so much! We will be sure to ask when something comes up!

kiwiwdancer   
kiwiwdancer

cmalltheway...It is hot now , but beautiful during the winter, so beautiful there while I'm freezing in the Midwest!  A dancer can build the classes and training they want at UA. DD, a senior has taken ballet 5x a week all four years, pointe work can be 4-5 days a week , too. DD loves the variety in rep they perform and the reperteurs (sp?) that come in. She's been in some very different modern pieces, some fun jazz things and a lot of ballet. In DD 3 years , UA has performed choreography by Balanchine, Ben Stevenson, Christopher Wheeldon, Jerome Robbins, James Clouser, Melissa Lowe (from my memory there may have been more)and even the ballet focused dancers can be cast in jazz or modern pieces . I was impressed by faculty pieces as well. Melissa Lowe and Jory Hancock (the Fine Arts dean) danced with NYCB, Houston, PNB, and were on faculty at Indiana U before growing UA Dance into the exceptional training ground it is. The faculty is very supportive of dancers looking to double major or add a minor degree. Autumn Eckman is a new professor this year, teaching ballet classes and DD loves her teaching method, reminds her of the Vaganova training she got at pre-pro school.DD wanted a large university experience along with a program that she could explore her love of contemporary ballet and one that provided choreographing opportunities. DD wanted the chance to explore jazz and modern to a high level, as well. This is why she is happy she chose UA dance. They also have huge support from the community.There is a board of Tucson community members that fund raise and make sure the program is supported so they can provide dancers with these opportunities to perform important repertoire in a beautiful and modern facility and provide scholarship opportunities. Board members attend performances,I've met quite a few and their enthusiasm for this program is impressive.

kiwiwdancer   
kiwiwdancer

DD uses Ballet 300 and Ballet 400 to get her 5x a week ballet classes. She gets the same rigor from both levels, in her opinion.

hauke3211   
hauke3211

Great summary kiwiwdancer! My daughter chose UofA for many of the same reasons.  The primary reason being  because she wanted a program that was equally strong in ballet, jazz and modern. She is a very well rounded dancer and last year was fortunate enough to be cast in a ballet, modern, tap and jazz piece. Although I wouldn't call her a ballerina, she still chooses to have ballet 5x a week with the Ballet 300/400 levels. She has grown tremendously in technique during the last 12 months and continues to do so.  Autumn and Liz are fabulous ballet teachers. 

Kiwidancer  - I believe My daughter is good friends with your daughter.........so funny as I remember how helpful you were during the audition process last year and in answering my many questions. There is nothing as valuable as getting first hand information. The program may not be a good fit for everyone but we have found it to be everything that we were looking for and more. So pleased. 

Edited by hauke3211
Removed potentially identifying information of third-parties

dancemaven   
dancemaven

Members, please remember that it is BT4D policy NOT to ask other members for identifying information on the open Board.  Many people would like to retain as much anonymity as possible so that, if needed or wanted, they can ask sometimes difficult questions.   :thumbsup:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/topic/33432-posting-expectations-important-social-netiquette-for-bt4d/