Ballet Talk for Dancers
bannanafeet90

Washington Ballet School

Guest katherine2345

it sounds like a wonderful program :wink:

Victoria Leigh
:wink: We think so!

drives2much

Do levels 7 & 8 regularly combine for any classes during the week?

Victoria Leigh

There is one combined pointe class right now. The modern and jazz classes have "clusters", so that 2/3 of the combined group are there each week. No technique or other classes are combined except rehearsals, and those are sometimes separate, sometimes combined, depending on whether everyone is learning the same work or not.

drives2much

A few last questions (for now :) ). How many dancers are in each level of RT? How many men? Are these numbers typical for WSB's year round program?

Victoria Leigh

drives2much, the numbers change every year. I have no idea what the average, or typical, is. The classes are reasonable in size and there are male dancers for pas de deux.

mylildancer

So your program is open to post grads? The web site says that there are programs for ages 6 - 18. Does that means there are no students over the age of 18?

Victoria Leigh

Yes, we have a number of post graduate students in the RTA class. We do not have a limit of 18 in the school. That should be changed. Thank you for pointing it out.

mylildancer

I have heard that there will be some changes in the staff next year. Can you tell us more about it? How will this affect the quality of the school? Also, how will the new union contracts for the company affect the performing opportunities for the release time students and the Young Dancers?

Victoria Leigh

The quality of the school has been pretty consistent for over 60 years, so I don't think the changes are anything to be concerned about at all. :ermm: As for the company and the RT dancers, I don't think there will be much change there either. The rep of the co. for this year does not require extra dancers, except for Nuts, of course.

Latecat

Several people have described themselves as WSB "trainees" when posting. Is this different from Release Time A? If so, could someone tell me a little about the trainee program?

Also, I wondered if it's known who the Director or "acting" Director will be in the fall?

Thanks.

Latecat

Victoria Leigh

WB has a Studio Company, and WSB has Release Time. The Studio Co. are like trainees, in that they work primarily with the company, but they are not on the WB union contract. They receive a stipend and pointe shoes, training, and performance opportunities. Release Time is comprised of high school students on track for professional status, and some post graduate students who are not quite ready for a company or Studio Co. yet. The Studio Co. works the basically the same hours as the company, meaning all day. Release Time students go to school and start classes at 2:00.

Latecat

Ms. Leigh,

Thank you so much for answering my question about trainees.

Latecat

mom1

Do all of your upper level students participate in early release, or is it possible to train in WBs top levels without early release?

On that same note, if the students begin at 2:00, does that mean an extra classes or do they just finish earlier in the evening?

Victoria Leigh

The two top levels in the school are Release Time levels. They are equivalent to levels 7 and 8. They both start at 2:00, so, all of the students at that level have to be Release Time. The normally have technique, pointe or pas, and either rehearsal or a modern or jazz class. They finish at 6:00.