Ballet Talk for Dancers
bannanafeet90

Washington Ballet School

smgdo

Called the school they don't have any information at this time due the program be restructured with the new staff :/

That's what I was told.....wanting information for our DD as she is looking at attending the PTPA program. Would like to know if they will be chapperoned she is 16 and not ready to live alone!

Edited by smgdo

javamama

smgdo- I would call Donna Glover, the Director of School Operations. There is no supervised housing (dorm) for the PTP A program and this is the same as what other posters have said in previous years even though there are some other changes in the program. Most students will share apartments which Donna can give detailed information about and which are in close proximity to the studios.

balletgem

I am interested in finding out more about the Professional Training Program. As it seems that this program is changing, I would love to hear from someone there now regarding the class schedule, performance opportunities and any information about the support for career planning.

joditeach8

My daughter is currently in her second year of the Professional Training Program. She is in PTP A and dances from about 9:30-4:30 each day. PTP B dances about 3:00-8:00 each day. During Nutcracker this schedule changes to accommodate rehearsals. My daughter has had several opportunities to dance with the school during the year. They have a fall and spring in-studio showcase and an end of year performance. All PTPs are in Nutcracker and some are asked to perform corps roles in other company performances.  There are also occasions that the students are asked to perform in events throughout the DC area during the school year. There are no dorms but students typically live in apartments close to the studios. My daughter lives within a five minute walk and in a building with many other dancers. She loves TWSB and the teachers. She is challenged and getting great training. They take technique classes, pointe, pas de deux, contemporay, flamenco, and musical theater. The school offers classes in injury prevention, nutrition, career planning and are always willing to conference with students who have questions. There is a PT room and an outside Physical Therapist that comes in during the week to treat students. This is an extra charge if you choose to use them. The management is very helpful and accessible and returns calls and emails in a timely fashion. Management of student information is all done through the parent portal. Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

dancerdancer

Thanks for the information! It sounds like a very interesting program. I’d be curious to know about how many students are in the classes? They combine with the trainees sometimes, correct? (Based on what I’d read before in trainee thread.) 

Thanks again for for sharing your perspective. It is very helpful!

macameli

Can anyone provide any updated info/opinions on their PTP A/B programs, especially if you DD is still in high school....living arrangements, managing academics, ages of other attendees? How many are local? Thanks in advance!!!!

javamama

macameli- PTP A and PTP B are different levels with different schedules. PTP B is designed for students who attend school during the day, so it is evening. It is considered the level for students who intend to study dance in college or who want to be considered for promotion to PTP A. PTP A is day, higher hours, and is considered the upper level of the two below trainee. The primary teachers for PTP A are Xiomara Reyes and Rinat Imaev. 

https://www.washingtonballet.org/school-year-programs

Both levels have school shows and do Nutcracker as well as other community performances. PTP A students also have the opportunity to be selected for corps roles for other company productions. Many PTP A students are recruited from competitions and are new to Washington Ballet School, and many are international. PTP B seems to generally have more local area students who came up through the school but I don't have numbers on that. Both require an audition. All PTP A students who are in high school are finishing online or home schooled. PTP A is sometimes combined with the trainees for class and can be in corps parts with trainees. DD has had class with Julie Kent multiple times.  There are no host families and no dorms, although many of the students live in shared apartments in the same building within a few blocks of the studio. The apartment building has a close relationship to the ballet and has for years and most of DD's classmates live there.  I don't have the type of statistics you're looking for but I'm sure she would- generally PTP A is 16-19 years old with some younger and possibly a couple of older (?) students in the mix. I believe most students in PTP A are not local. The environment of the school is great and you can't go wrong with the training there in either level :D

macameli

javamama, Thank you for the info! Sounds similar to the program she is doing now - only she has the benefit of being "local." She's ready to branch out though.

danceimatter

The school website mentions help finding housing and apartments offer 9 month leases for students attending. Does anyone know an approximate rental cost for the academic year? Trying to compare with programs that offer dorms with meal plans. 

joditeach8

My daughter lives locally at the Lencshire House, which is about a five to seven minute walk to both studios. Many dancers live there or in other apartments close by. The Lencshire offers a month to month lease so you are not locked in. The current rent is $1335. She is in a studio apartment with one roommate so we pay half. There are also one bedroom apartments and the rent is slightly higher. Typically three people share those.  There is a doorman there Monday through Saturday. When no one is at the desk the front door is locked and they have a fob to get in. Laundry is provided on the premises as well.  There is a grocery store, pharmacy, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance and she either takes the bus, Metro, or Uber to get anywhere not within walking distance. Also, see my response above for additional information. (As an added bonus, we typically like to stay at the Kimpton Glover Park right down the street when visiting. They typically offer "last minute deals". It's a very nice hotel where we can stay rather inexpensively.) Good luck! Let me know if I can answer any other questions. :)