Ballet Talk for Dancers
  • Announcements

• Helene

2018 Joint Fundraiser for Ballet Talk for Dancers and Ballet Alert!   02/03/2018

We have launched our 2018 Fundraiser.  To donate, please see the instructions on our home page for checks (US dollars only) and credit card donations via PayPal.  We close the fundraiser as soon as we raise enough to sustain us for the next year, and we thank you for your support!
hippiechicken

Ballet Schools in Texas - Dallas/Ft. Worth

Gracegirlz
On 11/11/2015 at 9:32 AM, Ballet1999 said:

I'm trying to learn about the companies around here, and I was wondering, does getting into the Professional Division at Texas Ballet Theater give you a better chance to get a job with the company?

Just an update: The Professional Division at Texas Ballet Theater seems to be in the infant stages yet, after they phased out TBT II.  Last year (2016) the company did offer positions to a few of the PD dancers, but not all were asked back for the upcoming season. This year none of the 8 PD dancers were offered company positions except to return to the program. There seems to be some adjustments going on in the trainee/apprenticeship levels for next season.

Fouronlychildren

I’m interested in hearing more about Mejia Ballet in Arlington TX. Another member mentioned it upthread, which sent me down a rabbit hole! From their website and my email contact with them, I’m very interested in it as a school for my DD. We happen to live in an area of the country with no schools that teach in the Balanchine style. Yet it is exactly what my DD loves. She has one teacher who danced with MCB who gave her a taste of it, then DD spent last summer at PNB and fell in love with the style. This summer she will go to SAB. I suspect returning to her home studio after this summer will be frustrating for her. Since she’ll still be 13 at the start of the school year (2018-19), I don’t think she’ll be asked to stay year-round at SAB.

I would love to find a year-round Balanchine school where she can continue to grow. We have close family who live within 15 minutes of Mejia, so she would have housing, virtual school supervision, and transportation. Any additional information about Mejia would be helpful. What is the ‘climate’ at the school? Are the dancers treated with respect and kindness? I’m looking for rigorous training in an emotionally safe and supportive environment. Are the dancers close with one another or cut-throat competitive? Is there space at the school to stay and complete schoolwork during the day, or do most dancers go home between the morning and evening dance classes? So many other questions, but I’ll leave it at that for now. DD may attend Mejia’s June intensive to get a taste  for the school, but I’d appreciate some more information before we commit to that.

Dreamingofdance

I'll be happy to provide any information about dance schools in DFW if needed! 

Edited by Dreamingofdance

labrador

Sure! Dreamingofdance, I would love information on dance schools in the Metroplex.

Dreamingofdance

Is there a particular school?

Fouronlychildren

Dreamingofdance: Do you know anything about Mejia?

labrador

All three, if possible.

balletmomdfw

I think that Mejia is the only school in the area that is strictly Balanchine. 

macameli

Under other DFW schools (not specifically Balanchine) Texas Ballet Theater under the direction of Ben Stevenson has a school. There are two campuses-Fort Worth and Dallas.  They have all levels including a Professional Division where students have the opportunity to work with TBT Artistic Staff and perform in company productions.