Ballet Talk for Dancers
sarsdad

Ballet Schools in New York - Westchester County

Victoria Leigh

No, I don't consider daily classes necessary for a 10 year old. I just question the idea of it being a pre-pro school when the upper levels do not have daily technique classes. For the 10 year old the two or three classes a week are acceptable, but I would like to see them be longer than one hour classes by the time they reach Ballet 3.

Class size depends a lot on age and level, as well as studio size and the teacher's ability to handle a group of students. As an average, I would say that about 15 is good at that age.

By the way, quoting the previous post is not necessary. Just go down below where it says " REPLY and you will see FastREPLY and AddReply. Those will not put the quote in. I would also like to remind you that we try hard to write with correct usage of upper case letters and not encourage text message typing on this board. Thank you! :(

doublejoy

Stephanie, if you are only looking in northern Westchester you will probably have to combine classes from different schools. If you're willing to drive to mid-Westchester then you could find what you're looking for. As an example, check out scarsdaleballetstudio.com - click on the "classes" tab at the top to see their schedule. Girls your daughter's age are either in Conservatory I or Conservatory II (if turning 11 soon and advanced for their age) if they are serious students. They do need to be on pointe to be in Conservatory II. Either level offers daily class, although not all classes are compulsory - the number of compulsory classes increases with age. Generally 10 year olds there are not taking daily class, but the serious students are taking around 4 classes a week at 10. The daily class schedule gives you flexibility in choosing what works best for your family. I would recommend a studio such as this rather than Logrea. I have no first hand knowledge of Logrea, but I know of students who have switched from Logrea to more serious studios that have a good track record of dancer placement.

djeowmom

Stephanie: Earlier this year, on a pointe shoe hunt, DD and I made a trek to the Scarsdale area ... where there is a terrific ballet store, "Repertoire Dance Shop" (link below). The owner and staff seem very knowledgeable and the younger staff were actively dancing at various studios. If you're close enough to this area, it's worth a look and general conversation. Usually the shops are quite aware of the best studios in the area. Good luck!

www.repertoiredance.com/

dancemaven

Stephanie, I have moved your posts about the Longrea Dance Academy to the existing thread concerning pre-pro schools in the Westchester County, NY thread. There was some mention of this school up-thread, but not much. However, there are additional schools mentioned in your area that might also interest you.

stefanie

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond thus far.

Doublejoy we know of Scarsdale. Actually took a class there recently. It would be probably over an hour drive for us so not that convenient & if i was going to drive that far I would probably just go to the city. Although you said you had no first hand experience w/Logrea, it does sound as if you know of them. I am curious as to your definition of "serious" ballet school & why others you know left that school. Do you know of others who may have had bad experiences w/them? What is your definition of "serious"? There is a school in Dutchess County NYAB that claims to be a conservatory level school & the director says that there is no need to take your children to the city to receive quality training because she offers it at her school, yet they only offer 3 classes a week for an 1 1/2 each for their advanced high school students. How can a serious school only offer 3 classes a week for 14 & up? Can you see my confusion over the word serious?

Dance Cavise in Mamaroneck is another school we looked at. I would not consider that a "serious" school for ballet at all but they do have a very good ballet teacher Olga Dvorovenko who also teaches at Ballet Academy East & ABT. Isn't it more about the teacher & the quality & technique they are teaching rather then anything else?

What makes any of these schools better or worse then say ABT's program for younger dancers?

We are looking for qualified teachers who are teaching correct technique & are not just sticking 10 year olds on pointe because it is the thing to do.

doublejoy

Stefanie, I only have knowledge of Logrea that is not first hand - my dancers have never been there. Posting that information would be hearsay.

What I look for in a school is to check if the slightly older students (the 13,14 year olds) have an excellent and recent track record of being accepted into selective SI's and year-round porgrams. By selective, I mean those that don't take a majority of students who audition. This is not to say that schools that are not selective about admission are not excellent - many of them are truly great and consistently turn out wonderful dancers, but as an indication of the level of training at a particular school I wouldn't look at their students' acceptance at say, the ABT year round program for younger dancers (again that's not to say it isn't a wonderful place), but would certainly pay attention to acceptance at the the intermediate levels of the school, which are selective in our experience. Acceptance to programs at very young ages is often more an indication of the potential of the student than the quality of the student's training - this why I would look more at acceptances of slightly older students.

I do not know of any Westchester or other Hudson Valley area school that trains dancers to the stage where they are employable as dancers. Those studios I know of that are serious generally have students leave to train in NYC once they reach the high intermediate level. I could easily be wrong though - I am certainly not a ballet expert. I would be suspicious of a school that calls a level of students "advanced" unless they're taking daily technique and pointe classes and are older than 15. Again, this is only my opinion and observations and I have no ballet expertise at all.

With respect to training with a good teacher at a studio where no other dancers are striving for a potential ballet career, I can say that my dancers would find it discouraging and harder to focus at the intensity that they like to without classmates who are also serious. If I would be commuting anyway, I would select a studio that had other students with a similar outlook to mine. A teacher would be able to give you an informed opinion on this, and you know your child. I'm only speaking about the preferences of my children.

Would Connecticut be closer for you? There are some good schools there.

stefanie

probably the same distance to CT

pasdedeuxmama

Does anyone have personal experience of Scarsdale Ballet School? We live in Rockland County, a few minutes from the Tappan Zee bridge and this seems like the closest ballet program. My daughter attends a school in New City that we do love, but the more I observe, the more I think it is geared to Jazz/Musical Theater and my daughter just wants to dance ballet. Specifically, we are looking for a more 'level' approach versus 'class' approach, more time dedicated to technique versus recital, and progression based on skill versus grade level. The first item just means that they consider a level a cohesive unit (which encourages kids to take more classes, versus the class (Monday night ballet 3) as the unit, which seems to encourage kids taking one class a week and thinking that's adequate.

Also, do they have a boys' program or any boys enrolled?

buzzandmoo

Scarsdale Ballet is great studio. The instruction is on par with more famous pre-pro schools in the area. I know many girls who have gone and continue to go. I know one of the instructors personally. You should go check it out. As to a boys program I am not sure, did you check their website? Not to bring up a commute to NYC, but many of the famous pre-pros offer boys classes for free in the lower levels.

Good Luck!

pasdedeuxmama

Thank you! We are going to go visit so that she can take a trial class. It's reassuring to hear that it is a good place. I'll let you know what she and I think afterwards! I think she is nervous that she's going to be behind the other students. On the other hand, she's so excited to take class at a ballet school (vs her 'dance school') that she's nearly jumping out of her skin.

Guest chappiedancemom

My DD has trained at Logrea Dance Academy, has taken some classes at Scarsdale Ballet and is now at Greenwich Ballet Academy, in their Port Chester studios. I would say that overall GBA has the consistency as they all teach the same method, Vaganova. Very serious pre-pro school with excellent training. In some studios just be aware that the ballet teachers may teach different methods or styles.

ZsaZsa

Hello! My daughter (age 8) has been dancing at Westchester Ballet Center in Yorktown, NY. Dance is quickly shaping up to be "her thing" and I'm trying to educate myself about studios so I can be sure she's in a good place for the long run.. Anyone have any insights about this school? Thanks in advance!

stefanie

Greenwich Ballet Academy has teachers leaving and is run by a parent board which I would avoid.

gasguzzler

I know nothing about it so I'm wondering, why do you say that stefanie?