Ballet Talk for Dancers
sarsdad

Ballet Schools in New York - Westchester County

sarsdad

This post is intended for those of you who live near New York. We live in Westchester county just outside of New York. There are a few schools with some fine teaching, but opportunities seem quite limited. My daughter who is 14 has danced seriously at one school for years, but we would like to investigate some other opportunities. I had hoped to PM BW as she lists her address as just outside of NY, but I have posted very infrequently. Those more involved can PM me and I'll given them my email address. These discussions are better held in private.

LRS

sarsdad-You could always set up a temporary email address and post it online while you are waiting for your PM feature. Later you can go back and remove the email address with the edit button.

2thepointe

sarsdad:

We share your pain. We live in Bergen County, NJ but travel to Rockland County for dance training. We, too, are in search of better and more serious training in our area, but keep coming up empty-handed. Even our current studio seems to be turning toward a more jazz-focused curriculum and away from ballet training which they were always known for. I fear our studio is headed for Dinkledom (footnote M. Johnson).

I will put my e-mail address in my profile. I will share what I've found.

BW

"Paucity" is a good word, sarsdad. :rolleyes: I've just sent you an email via the board (you will see it in your regular email "in box" under my personal email address but I've put "Ballet Talk for Dancers" in the subject line). I'd be happy to share my daughter's past experiences and my knowledge about schools outside of NYC. We can exchange more particulars about location, etc., then. :thumbsup:

In the mean time, you can certainly do as LRS has sagely suggested...or you can become involved in other discussions of interest and **voila** you'll have 30 substantive and, I'm sure, well worth reading posts to share and have PM privileges, too. :lol:

I generally do tend to prefer email to PMing but it is a great way to make initial quick contact or get in touch with someone you see is online right away. :)

NEB

2thepointe:

Where do you dance in Rockland? Have you tried NJ Ballet?

dancelyssa

Sarsdad,

I am a teen so sorry for coming in here, but I used to live in Westchester County (yorktown/mt. kisco/somers area) and a great ballet school is the Logrea School in Ossining.

sarsdad

Please don't apologise - I'm grateful to you for the information. It would be quite a hike to get there (we are in southern westchester), but perhaps worth it at least part time.

dancelyssa

Oh, then that may not help much. And the other school- N.Westchster Arts Center...is also clearly out of the question. Oh well. Where in S. Westchester? Would Stamford be a feasible drive?

dancindaughter

There is a pre-professional program at Ballet Etudes in Norwalk CT. The Director is Christina Fagundes, former solist at ABT, and a gifted teacher. You may want to consider it. They have a 2 week intensive in August that you could try.

crzctldt

2thepointe-

I know it's a hike, but you might want to look into Princeton Dance and Theater Studio. It's a wonderful school and several students commute over 70 miles each way to attend.

2thepointe

Dear crzctldt:

Thanks for the info. That would be a hike for us! I admire the parents that are doing that driving each day.

:pinch:

2thepointe

stefanie

thanks!

Victoria Leigh

Stefanie, I don't know if we have anyone on the board who attends that school or not. It is not on the radar of well-known schools. I looked at the website, and my concern was the schedule. I did not see any Ballet level that had even close to daily classes. Maybe I didn't read it right, but it looked to me like a large number of levels had one hour classes two or three days a week, and then the "A, B, C" levels moved to hour and a half classes, but still only three days a week. I don't get that at all. :(

Victoria Leigh

Stefanie, your post only contained the quote of my post. Please try again, as I removed it.

stefanie

Thanks for looking.

what is a good class size for that age?