Ballet Talk for Dancers
Marenetha

Increasing hip flexibility?

Marenetha

Dear Mods et al,

I thought that this would be a popular topic, so I searched it, but surprisingly enough, it wasn't there! Thus, I'd like to ask a few questions. :yes:

I have decent turnout (170ish?), with easy enough rotation, but I have to work to actually use it, because if I don't focus, my hips will naturally roll inward. I've been thinking that some of the problems I've been having lately with my turnout may be due to what seems like my utter lack of hip flexibility - oh, I can slide through a straddle split without the slightest difficulty, but when I sit in butterfly, I cannot keep my knees down! If I push them, they'll move painlessly, but they'll pop up again the moment I let go.

I think that this is also proving to be a problem with my developpes, so understandably, I'd like to fix it. :shrug: What causes hip inflexibility, and what steps can you take to remedy it?

Thank you.

Victoria Leigh

Marenetha, are you having problems with rotation in développés, or with extension? Or both?

Marenetha

Both, really. My muscles are very stretched out, so I know that that can't be the problem ... My rotation is improving, and has improved tremendously, but it's still fairly hard for me to stay fully turned out, especially devant.

Victoria Leigh

Is it possible that you are pushing the rotation on the standing leg beyond what your body can handle? Or slightly sitting into the hip on the standing leg? The only way that your full amount of rotation and extension works is if you are placed correctly and your weight is not back in your heels. Keep in mind that front is more difficult for most people and sometimes takes a bit longer to fully realize the maximum of your extension and rotation.

Marenetha

I might be pushing my standing rotation too far, but it feels comfortable that way. I'm not sure how to figure out if I am or not; my knees go fully over my toes, and it feels fine, but I can't hold it, say, if we're doing floor barre. Could I be relying too much on the floor to hold my turnout, and not working enough simply on the strength of legs? If that's the case, I suppose that trying to increase the strength of the inner thighs would help?

I don't think I'm sitting in my hips; I used to have that problem, as well as a lot of other postural ones, but I've almost completely cleaned them up.

fouette809

the same thing happened to me too :P I really don't know what happened but all of a sudden I lost much of my flexibitily of my right hip. It turns out that I was using my my hip muscles to developpe and i had to go to physical therapy. Ironically, my left hip was unaffected. :o

daintydancer

Marenetha,

When you say "my hips will naturally roll inward," do you mean your hips tip forward forming a swayback? Or you you mean that the bone structure of your hips rotates inward? I have both problems, but my turnout is roughly 130-140 and my natural swayback has improved with practice. I'm trying to figure out if my lack of turnout has to with my closed hips or something else. 

Edited by Alex En Pointe
anonymity

Victoria Leigh

Alex En Pointe, if you have a lack of rotation in your hips, then that would appear as a lack of turnout, since that is where the rotation (turnout) starts.