Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
toedancer

Ballet schools in California - Modesto

toedancer

Okay, my trouble is this. I recently moved to a new town, and started going to the best dance school we could find. (There are several more but they are definitely dolly dinkles.) When my mom and I started reading the threads on how to tell if your school is a dolly dinkle, we began to look at my studio with increasing concern. :rolleyes: For example, some of the younger students have a combined ballet and tap class. The youth company associated with the school recently got a new director and ballet mistress, who also teach. I know they are good teachers so the upper levels might not be dolly dinklish. My question is this, if I want to be a professional dancer someday should I switch to a different school? Another option would be to drive two hours to San Francisco everyday, or to Sacramento... :blushing: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :huh:

Redstorm

Parent here...delete if necessary....

toedancer: What area of Northern CA are you? Depending on your location, you might find a good pre pro school closer to you.

toedancer

Thank you for the quick reply! :rolleyes: I am in Modesto, California. Its in Stanislaus county.

cassy

go for the best you can get - dont settle for less, even if it is closer/cheaper!!

it will be well worth it and im sure it will pay off :blink:

beware the dolly dinkle!!! :D

BW

toedancer, thank you for telling us more about where you live in California. I'm sure Redstorm will come back on to your thread to give you the information about the studio she was suggesting if it's in the right part of the state.

I'm going to edit your title a bit so that if others in your area might have suggestions, it will catch their eye and they'll post, too. :blink:

I'll admit that a ballet class combined with a tap class is a bad sign. Although you seem to think the older levels have good teachers, it does still really bother me that younger dancers have combined tap and ballet. :D

How many years have you been taking ballet, how ballet classes a week are you taking now, toedancer and how long are they? Are you en pointe? Do they have seperate pointe classes - I'm guessing the answer is no...

Driving two hours one way to a ballet program seems a bit extreme! I certainly hope you can find something within a reasonable distance. :D

Edited by BW

Victoria Leigh

Another question to ask about this school is whether they have trained any dancers now working professionally, and also, do their upper level students regularly get accepted to good SI programs for the summer?

toedancer

Hi again. Okay, I have been taking ballet for about nine years, I am taking five ballet classes a week and they are an hour and a half. I am en pointe. One of my classes is a seperate pointe class for an hour. I don't think that any of the dancers have gone on to be professional but I am not completely sure. I know that at least a couple of dancers are going away to good intensives( One of the best dancers is going away to boston) but most of everyone is staying here. We will have guest teachers at the intensive.

Thank you so much for your advice. :D

topazio

Hi,Toedancer's mother here, :D

I just wanted to add that our school does distinguish between basic dance classes and pre-pro classes. There is a youth company associated with the school. They have professional male dancers come in to partner the older girls in their productions. The ballet mistress and the artistic director are professional dancers and choreoographers. On the one hand I feel that my dd is getting some good training,( she is going to Salt Lake for some private lessons with a ballet teacher recommended by the AD), but no one goes on to dance professionally. They all quit or take dance in college. :blink: What I feel in my gut is that they want to be a really a good school and are revamping the curriculum. Maybe we'll be the first to go pro who knows.

Redstorm

We are a bit north from you and we travel almost an hour each way to our studio, farther north.

Unfortunetely I am not familiar with the Modesto area and any schools in that area. I do know of some good schools up my way....in the Walnut Creek area and a bit north from there.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

GretchenStar

There was a pre-pro company in Modesto that seemed to have good training (not dolly dinkle). It was a member of Regional Dance Amercia (RDA), but after they changed artistic directors, they dropped out. You might look into that studio, though, maybe they still have quality training.

The pre-pro company's name is Central West Ballet (formerly Bravo Repertory Dance Theatre). I did a search on Yahoo and found its website, but it is a bit outdated. You might want to call the phone number listed and see if it's still in operation.

topazio

That is the company/school we are with. As I wrote, they are really working hard to upgrade their program. They decided to not do RDA this year and focused more on the company. My dd has had tons of dance experience this year and will participate in the school's SI this summer. They are bringing in some good teachers. For a medium sized town in the middle of farm country, I guess this is the best school available. I respect the directors and applaud their efforts.

balletdad

Sounds like your alternative would be to drive to hours to San Francisco and SF Ballet's school. Though it would be quite a drive (you would not be the only one making it, perhaps you could get a car pool together). And it sounds like the present school may not bee all that bad. One thought, depending on your age, would be to try out for SFB School's SI next year and see what you think. You could also audition for their program and see if you are accepted and what level you placed. I believe auditions for the school year program are in June.

Guest lurry

The new directors of the centeral west ballet are Rene Deveule (sp), he was trained at the NBC, and Leslie Anne Larsen, she was trained at Joffery. They both have danced for companies and he has choreographed pieces for the University of Utah, Ballet West and many others.

This years rep included the Nutcracker and The Red Shoes.

Their summer intensive will include guest teachers as Zack Caroll, a student of George Zoritch (Ballet Russe De Monte Carlo) and he danced for places like OBT and ballet West. And, Frank Augustyn, Canada's most famous Male dancer. He also trained at the NBC.

The new AD has had much success with the CWB and it would be a great school attend.

topazio

Lurry, you sound very familar with the school. We are attending the SI this summer. Are you? Leslie and Renee are beautiful dancers.

Guest lurry

Topazio-

Leslie invited my DD to attend the week when Frank is the guest teacher. Other than that, she will be taking class with George Zoritch.

Are you going to be there? I understand it is going to be wonderful. Along with the great guest teachers, the classes are going to be small as well. It should be an awesome experience. :)