Ballet Talk for Dancers
Michelle_r

Boston Ballet School

PointeDriver

Just wondering if anyone here has any current thoughts on Boston Ballet's Year Round program (Clarendon Studio). I had heard there were some major changes and am curious how the program is faring these days. I had read a few months back about a merger with Mass Youth Ballet as well. Their SI always ranks in the top ten, just wondering how the year round school is.

fendrock

Mass Youth Ballet was the performing body associated with a school, Ballet Workshop New England.

This was a small school (less than 100 students), so I believe the impact of the "merger" will be limited. Specifically, Jacqueline Cronsberg, who founded the school, will head the Boston Ballet Ensemble at the Boston Ballet School.

The Boston Ballet Ensemble is new this year, and provides the more advanced students (levels 5i, 6i, 7i and 7 main) a chance to learn and perform repertory.

balletbeauty05

Well, there are also changes to how the levels are set up if that is what you mean. If it is, I would be happy to let you know about the changes! :grinning:

biners6

I went to Ballet Workshop of New England (unfortunately just for one year before it closed)! It was a great school, very small classes and a lot of personal attention, and Mrs. Cronsberg is a great teacher. Fortunately for us, the Associate Director is starting her own school, called Metrowest Ballet, that I will be going to...and since it's new, there will only be 7 people in my class, which I think is great!

lampwick

I just attended an open house at Jose Mateo's Ballet Theatre of Boston in Cambridge (Harvard Square) and watched a demonstation by the students. I feel obligated to also state that I am associated with the organization (I'm an apprentice in the professional company attached to the school---though I didn't receive my training there---a few of the company members did).

I grew up in Southern NH and have seen several very well trained students come out of that school throughout the years. The students I saw today looked good, and there are a decent number of boys. I believe there's a separate boy's division, actually.

It's an open enrollment program, so you get a variety in the talent of the students, but there's sufficient training so that the more *clears throat* "gifted" or "motivated" kids get what they need to be competitive. Similar phiosphy as CPYB...that everyone deserves good training. There's a dancer in New York City Ballet right now who trained there. It's a very pretty facility too...a historic church that's been renovated into ballet studios and theatre.

There are a couple of satellite schools too and a lot of community outreach. It's a nice place.

Worth checking out.

http://www.ballettheatre.org/

Allegrodancer

How often do students from Boston Ballet School's Trainee Division get chosen for BBII? Is it unheard of for a student to be accepted into the Trainee Division mid-year?

jmh4

The trainee division at Boston Ballet is relatively new. It was started last year & was called pre-pro. I believe 2 (?) students from this class were accepted into BBII this year. I'm not sure about mid year acceptances, although it is my understanding that upper level students do seem to come & go. Perhaps you might call the school & ask about class space & auditions. Christopher Hird is the Assistant Principal of Boston Ballet School at this time.

flyingdancer100

I have some questions about the Boston Ballet trainee program if anyone can help me out. I am currently a high school junior at the north carolina school of the arts. I would eventually like to dance for Boston Ballet, and was wondering whether going to their trainee program next year, rather than staying at the school of the arts would improve my chances. If anyone knows about the program I would love to know more.

zowithabow

I would also like to know more about BB's trainee program. Does anyone know about performance oppurtunities, tuition, housing, etc? Are most of the trainees from out of town? Any information would be great!!

Redstorm

I just read the information on the website. Wow...this will be a big move for BBS. The announcement was small and there wasn't a lot of details. Does anyone know if they are providing housing? All that was mentioned was academics.

cheetah

One of the letters mentions that the program is also a "residential" program and that the new director is currently searching for housing within close proximity to the studios. I guess that can be interpreted to mean housing for the scholastic portion, but I'm reading it as meaning a "housing" program as well. I know that something was mentioned several months ago about their interest in trying this type of program. We sent an email and will post when we find out something more.

hPijsdancer

Boston Ballet, in the Boston Studio, would be a very good place for an aspiring male dancer to train. They have a number of male faculty, which should help alot. Also, the school is taking a number of positive changes. I attend, in the Metrowest Studio however, the intensive division. However, I am very familiar with everything, as I have been taking classes here since I was about five. I'm very much at home, and my training is excellent and very professional, and I don't even go to the Boston Studio! I would encourage your son to audition for Boston Ballet School, since he seems to have a good background (CPYB, I believe?)

Edited by hPijsdancer

fendrock

More information is available here on the year-round residential program.

Academic portion is $10K, residential is an additional $18K.

its the mom

I can give you a little more specifics on the trainee program. This year the trainees took class in the morning, then went to rehearsals when called. They then had class in the afternoon, along with pointe or men's or partnering. Many of the trainees perform with the company in big productions. They are also asked to fill in with BBII when necessary. There are sometimes events throughout the year in which the trainees will perform, and there is an end of the year program. The trainees perform rather extensively in the end of the year program. For the 2007-2008 year, there have been several hires from the trainee class for BBII. This will all be officially announced very soon, I'm sure. Moderators, I hope this is okay. My son was in the trainee class this year and is one of the hires, so I know first-hand. It really is the company's goal to make the trainee program even more intensive next year and to feed the company with those dancers.

The residential program, as you can see, is brand new. In the past, many of the trainees have been from out of town, many coming from the summer program. They have typically found apartments together in very close proximity to the ballet. Also, it is not unheard of to have someone come mid-year, although I am told that the program will be much more competitive next year.

I hope this helps.