Ballet Talk for Dancers
AnneT

Ballet Schools in Arizona - Phoenix area

AnneT

Please help! I posted on the Adult Ballet board but have not received a response. I'll be in the Phoenix/Chandler area end of May, first of June. Any recommendations for ballet classes in the area?

Thanks.

dancetaxi

I am originally from that area and can only recommend two places. One is Ballet Arizona and the other is Adams Ballet Academy in Tempe. Feel free to PM me if you need more infomation. :)

Good Luck! :D

AnneT

Thanks for the info!

I've sent a pm to you.

Pearl

Another excellent ballet program in the Phoenix area is Ballet Etudes. They are a pre-professional company for dancers 9 and older based in Mesa, Arizona. Ballet classes are taught at Jeanne Wright's Mesa studio and you do not have to be a company member to take classes. The studio accepts ballet students 6 and older.

freespirit

I live in Phoenix, and my dd attends The School of Ballet Arizona currently. If you have questions you can ask or PM me. The school is small, but every year several of our advanced dancers receive scholarships to SAB, SFB, ABT etc... We have a surprisingly good track record as to dancers going on to professional careers and getting accepted into "big name" SIs.

Several of her friends attend Mary Adams school as well. In Chandler (I think) a former principal dancer from Ballet Arizona, Yen-li, opened a school too.

freespirit

Okay, I just re-read your post, and are you looking for adult classes? If so, Ballet Arizona has adult classes for beginning, intermediate, and advanced dancers. I believe the schedule is posted on the website:

http://balletaz.org

(go to the ballet school-- there's a page about adult classes)

I hope that helps.

Pearl

Yes these 2 schools are excellent schools in the Phoenix area. I was just trying to list another alternative. Ballet Etudes also has a high admission rate to summer programs including, in recent years, 2 National Training Scholars for ABT. Ballet Etudes' home school at Jeanne Wright's Mesa studio also welcomes adults who are allowed to drop in for classes and pay by the class.

Edited by Pearl

kikiswede

Ballet Arizona on Indian School Rd. was a very positive experience for both DD's. They taught a Vagovova program when we were there.

Amy'sMom

I don't believe that they are Vagonova any more. Kee-Juan Han (former School Director) left in 2003, and now Nancy Crowley is the School Director--her bio suggests a Balanchine background. Freespirit--is there a particular style AZ Ballet School teaches now?

freespirit

No, they do have a syllabus for all the levels developed by Ms. Crowley, Ib Anderson, and the teaching staff. However the teachers currently have a diverse background. We have some strong Vaganova teachers, Ms. Crowley, and one RAD teacher. The school is now under the direction of Mr. Anderson and Ballet Arizona, and they've become quite involved in choosing the school staff etc... In fact, the ballet mistress for Ballet Arizona teaches one of my daughter's classes.

glissade_jete

There is also the Arizona School of Classical Ballet. www.azclassicalballet.com. It is directed by Nadya Zubkov, the former director of the School of Ballet Arizona. I just graduated from there, and am now on scholarship at University of Oklahoma as a ballet performance major. One student was accepted to Royal Winnipeg Ballet School last summer. While I was there, I was accepted into The Rock in the highest level and Milwaukee Ballet on scholarship, among others. Students have also been accepted on scholarship to SAB. Look into it. Good luck!

salongs2005

We live in the far west valley and I have only seen mention of some schools in the east valley. Are there any recommendations for schools out west?

emz123

Does anyone have any updated info about Arizona School of Classical Ballet? Do they have a Vaganova program? DD currently attends what I guess would be called a competition dance studio with a pretty decent ballet program. She is 11 and is content to remain there, but I always wonder at what point I should consider trying a proper ballet school instead. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Arizona Native

Strong recommendation for Scottsdale School of Ballet, if it is geographically convenient. Serious ballet from excellent teachers. No drama. Sybille Acatos was hand-selected by Balanchine for what became the Zurich Ballet, and trained as a teacher under Kee Juan Han. Mr. Han is now head of Washington Ballet School and has received "Dance Magazine Teacher of the Year" twice. They continue a close association. Other teachers are also highly qualified as teachers, including a Russian woman who has degrees and certification for teaching ballet and charecter. Training is Vaganova with some French influence.

http://www.scottsdaledance.com/

A program with experienced teachers but which is just getting started as a program is Jeanne's Mesa studio, on the east side of the Valley, Gilbert Road and SR 60. Teachers include the fabulous Christina Hampton Houle, who is also permanant summer faculty (x12 years) at Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. There is no relationship with the competition studio aspects of the various Jeanne's programs. The Jeanne's website hasn't been updated to reflect the more serious program.

480-497-4646

Best wishes!

emz123

Thanks for the rec for SSB, AZ Native. It actually is geographically convenient. From their website, it looks like they only have 2 pointe classes/wk for levels 4-5 (which is their first "pre-professional level"), which seems to be fewer than what I have seen on some posts re. suggested class hours. Should this be an area of concern?