Ballet Talk for Dancers
AnneT

Ballet Schools in Arizona - Phoenix area

Mom2kaipar   
Mom2kaipar

There are 2 levels of PPP, my daughter is in PPP2 right now, but in her last conference she was told she has a great chance at moving to PP1 in the fall. The feedback during the twice per year conferences are very helpful (although just the student attends). Summer may be a great time for your daughter to try it out, that's what we did and ended up staying. I think their SI is one of the best kept secrets, lots of dancing and the classes are a very manageable size.

Hi there Azelizabeth,

Thank you for your info on BAZ. My daughter was accepted to the PP division (do not know what level) with consideration of her moving into the studio company mid-year. I'd love any more info you may have, finding info on Ballet Arizona is hard to come by. She is making her final decision this weekend and has an email to Mr. Valcarcel, so we shall see what she decides. We are really hoping that this will be a good, positive transition from where she was last year. (No help with future direction, no real interest in her as a dancer, and crushed self-esteem.) So any other helpful comments would be much appreciated!

Honoria   
Honoria

Do you have any specific questions? :)

Mom2kaipar   
Mom2kaipar

Ummm... LOL! Let's see.... Just would love to hear how "realistic" it is for the oppurtunities to perform with the company. What are the typical roles for Nutcracker? How involved in guidance is the staff with goal setting, future planning, and mentoring for the students? Do they offer Pilates or PT to students? Are they expanding their studio company this year?

I'd love to hear any of the answers to the above questions and even just general feedback. My DD went away for her senior year after recovering from 2 major surgeries. The program wasn't at all what we have been told. No access to things that would've brought her back up to her previous self, plus no guidance or encouragement at all. So she came away feeling very mediocre and lost a lot of self esteem. So we are really hoping that this next move will be the opposite for her.

Our initial meeting with Mr. Valcarcel was very positive. He spent over 25 minutes just chatting with my daughter and offering guidance that she didn't have the entire year at the other program. He also honed in right to where her weakness still exists (results of surgeries) and was truthfully, very sweet about it and was more then encouraging about it. Therefore placed her in the pre pro level with his hope of helping to strengthen that area and then moving her to studio company mid-year.

So in general, I'm just looking for a little bit of maybe reassurance that it is a positive place for her. I know that not every place is the "perfect" place for everyone. And everyone has their own experience. I'd just love to hear others experience with the program and perhaps Mr. Valcarcel.

Thanks!

Honoria   
Honoria

Ok, I can answer a few of your questions! :)

PT is offered through a team that works with several BAZ dancers and SBAZ students. Outside conditioning classes through the PT office are offered for free this Summer for PPP and Studio Co, but individual PT visits are handled through private insurance. We have had good experiences with the therapists and they are very knowledgeable about the needs of dancers. Conditioning classes run by a therapist from the office are offered to the PPP and Studio Co at the studio during the year at least once a week.

Both PPP1 and Studio Co members have been asked to perform with the company in various productions, but only Studio Co members were in Nutcracker last year. I am not sure if they are expanding Studio Co or if there is a set number of spots they are looking to fill. Last year Studio Co women were snow, flowers and maids in Nutcracker. Some Studio Co women also worked in the lobby taking Sugar Plum photos with audience members. Even if PPP students do not perform with the company, there are numerous performance opportunities. There is a Fall Showcase, an early Spring Showcase, a year end Spring Performance, and several smaller performances throughout the year at local schools.

Students in both the PPP and Studio Co have conferences with Mr. Valcárcel and other staff at mid year and end of year, and teachers are open to meet sooner if issues arise. I'm not sure about mentoring per se, but I know students have received assistance in making audition videos and also competition coaching.

Best of luck to your daughter as she makes her decision!

Mom2kaipar   
Mom2kaipar

Thank you Honoria! I really appreciate all your info!!

dancergirl2001   
dancergirl2001

So I've been doing ballet since I was 4 (I'm 14 now). I love my current studio, but I'm not getting enough push in my training. The studio I go to is more of a recreational studio, and I've been in the top level since I was 10. I recently visited Arizona and I stopped by Master Ballet Academy for a tour. I loved the studios and the friendly environment. From what I've seen, they produce AMAZING dancers, and a lot of amazing dancers have been relocating there recently (Sophia Lucia, Juliet Doherty, etc.). The classes and pre professional schedule looks really good too. My mom says we could easily relocate to the Phoenix-Scottsdale area, since her new job is based there and cost of living is so much cheaper than California. I just have a few questions that I hope you can answer...

- How do pre-professional dancers get an good education? I know online high school is the most common option, and I think it would be the best option, but how is the transition from traditional to online? I've gone to expensive private schools most of my life, and take pride in how I do in my academics, especially math and science. So any suggestions of private online high schools with focus on math and science and a good reputation?

- Is MBA's year round program really good in your opinion?

- I've only had a little partnering and pas de deux training, and I know their partnering is amazing. So how does their partnering classes work?

- Are their contemporary classes very good? If not, I know club dance is also fairly close...

- What to do during your free time in Arizona? Other than sew pointe shoes and wash tights?

And if you would like to add anything else that you think would help me :) Thanks!

Edited by dancergirl2001

sita33   
sita33

Hi dancergirl2001: My 16 yo daughter is also interested in MBA. Did you get your answers to your questions? How is the contemporary training?

Thanks!

lorimac13   
lorimac13

Hi dancergirl2001 and sita33 - dd went to MBA from age 12-18 (with one year at a residential program that wasn't nearly as good). The majority of the kids do online school. Mine used Univ. of Nebraska Distance Learning. It's not free but very flexible and is a diploma program. My dd didn't have much free time - she was always at the studio.

I think the training at MBA is the best you can find. Partnering starts at age 10 I believe and you need permission to take partnering. There is an upper level and a lower level partnering class. The contemporary training is also good and they have a contemporary company (I think it's called Limitless). One 16 year old won a free SI for being the best overall dancer at Lines last year. They also do regular competitions in addition to YAGP and other international competitions. The SI this year is by video audition only or if you live in the Phoenix area, I'm sure you can probably audition in person. I think the info is on their website. They had too many kids last year so they have changed it this year. There is no housing, but they have limited host families. I hope this info helps.