Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mel Johnson

Welcome to the New Forum

Mel Johnson
:) Here is a brand new forum to address a continuing interest in information for students who are too young to post for themselves, but have parents to speak for them. Ask about class questions, performance issues, interpersonal relations, and crisis management, even care and feeding. We'll talk about those here for the pre-teen, and even pre-ten set.

Guest castilloje

Hello-

I have a request.. I know I'm fairly new to this website and I would like to know if I can request to change my username. I would like to see if thats possible. Or do I have to re-open up another account with a different name?

Please email me so that I can explain to you better with out posting it here.

Thanks

Guest sally-mandy

Hello, I'm unclear what the codes mean in this forum..DD, AD, DS, etc. I gather DD is some kind of daughter.

Thanks for the help.

TutuMaker

Hello sally-mandy,

DD = dancing daughter

DS = dancing son

AD = artistic director

SI = summer intensive

HTH (hope this helps!) :)

wannabe

I'm new to this website and am not sure if this is the correct place to post. I have a specific concern about my daughter's weight (currently around X lbs for an 11 year old 4'10 in height). Are there any guidelines for weight for ballerinas? My DD has been told that she has a perfect ballet body- great turnout, lines and extension and at age eleven she definitely has the passion. Her doctor says she is healthy- but she is definitely on the low side for weight (about 15th percentile for her age/height). I know very little about ballet and am trying to learn. What I do know is that I am having a very difficult time finding pants to fit my daughter. She swims in any slim pants long enough for her legs. Are there any guidelines for the ballerina body???

[edited by moderator in keeping with BT4D's policies regarding weight discussions]

Edited by dancemaven

Victoria Leigh

Wannabe, I think you meant to post on the actual forum for Parents of students under 13. This forum was the one that introduced the new forum a couple of years ago.

Anyway, since you posted here, I will answer it for you. There are no guidelines in terms of weight for dancers, and certainly not at age 11. Some children at that age are just naturally small for their age, and all of that changes at puberty. If she is healthy, I would not be overly concerned at this point in time.

We do not discuss weight issues on BT for Dancers, for many reasons, starting with the fact that we cannot see the dancer. Also, numbers are irrelevant unless you know all of the other factors, including bone structure. It carries things into dangerous territory, and therefore we just simply do not do it. There is a Nutrition and Health Forum, and if you have health concerns you can post questions there. It is moderated by medical professionals. However, they also will not deal with numbers in terms of weight. There are simply no standards or guidelines. It is a visual thing, and we cannot see the child. If the child eats normally, and the doctor says she is healthy, then I don't think there is anything to worry about. Give it about 2 years, and everything will change. Some dancers remain under what is considered "normal", however, if they are healthy, then it is certainly far better than being overweight. Many dancers bodies are not exactly in the "normal" range in general, even after they pass puberty.

wannabe

Thanks Ms Leigh for the response!!! There is so much info on this site I'm sure that I will post in the wrong spot again.

Victoria Leigh

There really is a lot here, wannabe, and we understand when this happens. Just try to read the forum titles and their descriptions, and that will help. B)