Ballet Talk for Dancers
Siegelife

WOW....Welcome!!!!

Siegelife

Wow, I just signed back on after being on this morning and here we are!!! A whole new world....I'm so excited. Seems like this would be a great forum to have.

Victoria Leigh

Thanks, Siegelife, and welcome to YOU! :) I think this will make things a bit more manageable in the parents area.

dancindaughters

Good morning! I appreciate the efforts of Ms.Leigh, Major Mel et al, BUT I'm a bit confused as to the benefit of splitting the parents forum by age. Is the purpose to encourage more posts by parents of younger dks, or just to get us insufferable parents of younger kids out of the way of the "serious" discussion on the other forum? As others have noted, parents of younger dks benefit so much from the advice of more experienced parents; I believe splitting the boards makes this dialogue less efficient. As well, many of the topics currently active on the over-13-parents board are equally applicable to parents of dancers in both age groups. I do appreciate the plea for modesty, but I wonder why only parents of older dks are encouraged to share the ups as well as the downs of their childrens training. I do appreciate having a place to seek advice of a dance teacher, but I also enjoy sharing thoughts with other parents in a similar situation to mine. If people find bragging parents annoying, they always have the choice not to respond. I don't think shutting down discussion is ever a good decision.

Babsaroo

The decision to split the boards was in response to parental requests for it. Many of those requests came from parents of younger dancers. I view the split has having the best of both worlds. It allows for focused discussion of ballet parenting issues for both younger and older dancers. I don't see it as limiting...just more focused and to me, more effecient. The younger dancers have their own forum for discussions but it doesn't limit them from reading and learning from the older dancer forum. The same will apply for the parents boards.

Bragging and sharing ups and downs are very different and often have different goals.

The decision to close discussions is not taken lightly and only done after moderators discuss and confer. It's truly done for the greater good... so to speak.

I say give the split a chance to work.

AsleepATheWheel

knock knock... over 13 parent here....

The journey from young dancer to professional is a long and arduous one. I think that the split in the boards is really to the benefit of both groups. The younger group will most likely at times have a 'fresher outlook' than the older group. The concerns are different. This may only be understood when the parent of a younger group dancer becomes the more 'worn' parent of the older group.

I am sure that both sets of parents will still read and 'knock knock', not sure if this is the way it's handled, to add a comment. It's somewhat like comparing elementary school, and even middle school to high school...the atmosphere is different but everyone is still there to learn (we hope).

As for bragging, never a good thing. Many threads can be added to without highlighting one's own dk in it. Adding thoughts or opinions based on experience without the added, 'well, MY DK is, or did, or was etc'. There's a fine line. It's a hard call tho. I am sure many will disagree with me, it's ok.

Victoria Leigh

Thanks, Babsaroo and AsleepATheWheel. You are both right on about the purpose of the new board. No one is excluded from either board, but it's just a way of separating some of the topics that apply more to one age group than another. Crossover is not illegal! :D

Dancindaughters, the purposes are as they stated. We have grown so much, and there are now many parents who have been here a long time and their children are older. Many of the concerns of parents of younger students are not their main area of focus any more, however, they are certainly willing to share their knowledge and information with everyone. No one was trying to get anyone out of the way! There is just an awareness of differences in interest in some things. I am hopeful that this new arrangement will benefit everyone, and the parents of younger dancers will certainly receive the same care and attention as we try to give to everyone here! I would hope that the discussions on both boards would be equally serious, and they will certainly be treated as such. :wink:

Guest Megari

I am very pleased to have the separation for parents of younger dancers. We will not graduate from this group for almost 3 years. I have looked to Ballet Talk over the last 2 years for support, encouragement and a kind of blind honesty. I look forward to the discussions, advice, and insight given in a narrow age bracket! :sweating:

Babsaroo

Thanks Megair. It looks like it's working well and will be beneficial.