Ballet Talk for Dancers
chauffeur

A Modesty Proposal

chauffeur

I think the idea of creating a separate forum for the parents of young dancers is a great one, and I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage other parents of young dancers to continue to read and communicate with the parents of older dancers. There is so much we can all still learn and should learn from paying attention to how they talk about their kids. I've learned over time that two of the hallmarks of young-dancer parent posts is their anxiety over the uncontrollable future and a tendency to, how shall we say, embellish or maybe exaggerate when describing their children.

And I've also learned that genuine modesty about their children is a hallmark of the older-dancer parent post -- especially when the child has actually made a go of it in the professional dance world. We have the chance to role model each other on this board, and I hope that we will! :)

BW

I'm sure Jonathan Swift wouldn't be too upset, chauffeur, :thumbsup: and I thank you for your proposal. :flowers:

Georgia

Thank you chauffeur for saying what a lot of people have been thinking, I'm sure. Now to show my ignorance, who is Jonathan Swift?

dancelyssa

Sorry, teen here, but I can answer the question.

Jonathan Swift is the author of "Gulliver's Travels". I read it in fourth grade, that is how I know.

BW

Thanks dancelyssa! :thumbsup:

For a bit more on the author:

Jonathan Swift:

(November 30, 1667 - October 19, 1745) was an Anglo-Irish writer who is famous for works like Gulliver's Travels and A Tale of a Tub. Swift is probably the foremost prose satirist in the English language, although he also is also known for his poetry and essays.

Gulliver's Travels is really a book that is not written for children, though it has certainly gotten a lot of play over the years in cartoon form. For more on this book and its themes, etc. check out: Gulliver's Travels.

Redbookish

*knock knock* dancing literature professor here - Chauffeur's reference is to Jonathan Swift's very black satire, A Modest Proposal for Preventing the cHildren of Poor People in Ireland from Being a Burden to THeir Parents or Country, and for Making them Beneficial to the Public (1729) in which Swift's persona (not him) proposes that the solution to the Irish poverty of the early eighteenth century, was that the Irish breed children and fatten them for eating. Part of the impact of the satire (and increasing its darkness) is that the whole essay is written in a very rational, and indeed, modest. tone ... :thumbsup:

chauffeur
Part of the impact of the satire (and increasing its darkness) is that the whole essay is written in a very rational, and indeed, modest. tone ...  :thumbsup:

We had to read and analyze the essay in high school (a NY Catholic high school, no less). Satire will always get you in trouble, but it's great when people get it.

But I was serious when I advocated for modesty!! :flowers:

and if that doesn't work, we can always eat the children.

Treefrog

nah -- too lean and gristly.

Mel Johnson

The scary thing was, that in the period Swift wrote the thing, he being Dean of the Anglican Cathedral in Dublin and all that, some people took him seriously, and even agreed with him! :yes:

Redbookish

Warning, even more :yes: Coincidentally (or not?? ....) there was an excellent programme on BBC's Radio 4 (sort of like PBS Radio in the US) on Thursday on the Scriblerus Club, of which Jonathan Swift was a member. It was part of the regular In Our Time programme, and you can download the programme as an MP3. There's something different to listen to on your iPod!

Now I promise to stop hijacking this thread :party:

dancetaxi

I do hope that the "veteran" parents with older dancers will participate in this thread as well and offer advice when needed. They have been down the road that we are travelling and can help "rein us in" if we get too neurotic! :D:blink:

Mel Johnson

Right. Even bringing up Dean Swift's relatively brief, but monumentally epochal and technically brilliant essay would be enough to derail any discussion, but, not to put too fine a point on it, (in fact, I will be downright blunt) this forum is not a brag board. If dd or ds is doing fine, and in fact excelling, we don't need to hear much, if anything, about that. What we handle here are the potholes in the Yellow Brick Road. Let's talk about problems and how to handle them, not about how 8-year-old Suzie did a wonderful job with the "Silver Fairy" variation from Sleeping Beauty! :D

dancemaven

Thank for your bluntness, Major Mel! :D

Such restraint will make this a much more productive discussion Board.

syr

So, there's no new rule that involves the top two buttons of my nightgown? :D

Mel Johnson

Only if they create ballet problems for a pre-teen student! :D