Ballet Talk for Dancers
chauffeur

A Modesty Proposal

dancindaughters

Thanks for your support sarsdad and dancetaxi!

Actually, when I said the path would be different for a "talented" dance student, I didn't mean the technical training, but rather the emotional/social journey! But the training differences are also interesting. I will reply on the new thread.

Mrs. Stahlbaum
Dancindaughters:

because this is also what I thought not so long ago

This pretty wells sums up what I "know" about ballet training. Every time I think I am starting to make sense of it all, things change, and what was right for the moment, is no longer right. That's why the advice from this board is so good--it's a lot of "been there, done that", and as someone who hasn't been there yet, I appreciate the wisdom of those who have trodden that path before me. I think you don't hear as many parents of older dancers feeling put out, simply because we know how often we have been wrong in the past :thumbsup: .

msd
That's why the advice from this board is so good--it's a lot of "been there, done that", and as someone who hasn't been there yet, I appreciate the wisdom of those who have trodden that path before me.

...And as a parent learning every step of the way, I heartily agree. This is such an amazing board -- one can receive input from professional teachers (who have so much wisdom, and share it and their time. Believe me, it is appreciated.) Then there are the parents of the older kids...many days, I simply lurk, and appreciate watching the lively discussions. The expertise and respect here is unique.

Siegelife

Well, I must say I ran across this site while I was in the 'panic' mode. Seeing my daughter's talent made me want to line up all of her ducks in a row for her to achieve her best. Hard to believe that was only six months ago. Things have changed for her so much. Certain things that I was so worried about I shouldn't have been. The light bulb has gone off in DD's level of maturity and things seemed to fall in place for her. Suddenly the dancers that passed her by in dance class levels are now her class mates. She caught up like others behind her will. Then some will excel and then slow down. It has been a joy to watch each student with their differences over the past three years. I look at it all on a much lighter note now. I am grateful for my panic six months ago to have found this site. I have learned so much and so has my DD!!! How lucky we are to be part of the ballet world.