Ballet Talk for Dancers
vicarious

New to the Group

chauffeur

I'm going to try and pick up some tights at The Shoe Room for newly indoctrinated DS while I drop DD off this weekend at NBS. He looked quite manly in her cast-off black modern tights at his first class last weekend, but I'm guessing that eventually he'll notice we can all see his Spiderman underwear through them.

Anyway, since he won't be with me on this trip, I'll be buying tights blind. any recommendations on what parts of him to measure? He's also a long, tall skinny thing, so I don't know how that factors into most tight sizing charts.

And I've heard good things about The Shoe Room being able to select pointe shoes for dancers based on just foot tracings. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of guy slippers, too. Again, he was wearing cast-off pink slippers from DD. If they weren't slightly too large for him, I wouldn't consider buying new ones, but the heels slipped off a couple times, so I guess I should spring for something better fitting. Our dance supply store around here charges outrageously so I'd rather pay C$ up there if I can. Any one know if tracings are a good way to go?

Gremlin
I'm going to try and pick up some tights at The Shoe Room for newly indoctrinated DS while I drop DD off this weekend at NBS.  He looked quite manly in her cast-off black modern tights at his first class last weekend, but I'm guessing that eventually he'll notice we can all see his Spiderman underwear through them. 

Anyway, since he won't be with me on this trip, I'll be buying tights blind.  any recommendations on what parts of him to measure?  He's also a long, tall skinny thing, so I don't know how that factors into most tight sizing charts. 

And I've heard good things about The Shoe Room being able to select pointe shoes for dancers based on just foot tracings.  I'm thinking of picking up a pair of guy slippers, too.  Again, he was wearing cast-off pink slippers from DD.  If they weren't slightly too large for him, I wouldn't consider buying new ones, but the heels slipped off a couple times, so I guess I should spring for something better fitting.  Our dance supply store around here charges outrageously so I'd rather pay C$ up there if I can.  Any one know if tracings are a good way to go?

Congrats to your son. How old is he?

For shoes, tracings should be fine. Slippers are pretty easy to size. The ones vicarious bought her son are the same ones my son wore until he switched to split soled shoes. He loved them.

For tights, well, for us, that has always been trial and error (strictly shop from internet). We just bought 2 different sizes and kept the pair that fit best. My son too is skinny, but is short. We always bought footless leggings. My son likes those better than footed.....and not because of length. Instead of concentrating on traditional tights like your daughter wears (all of them are way too thin and will have show through), try leggings. They work better for boys. Vicarious just got some stuff in the mail. Maybe she can go into detail exactly what she got and if it is at all see through. Really that is the main issue for a boy since they don't wear leotards.

A few suggestions.....

Dark colored briefs instead of underoos.

A can of black spray paint for those pink slippers if you decide to have your son use them in the future. Just trying to help out with the gender issue :)

Happy shopping.

chauffeur

My son will be 7 in a couple weeks and he's one of those blessedly oblivious types -- could walk out naked on a stage and not understand what all the fuss would be about. Maybe it's more for me that I don't want the world seeing his Spidey-roos! :D

Gremlin
My son will be 7 in a couple weeks and he's one of those blessedly oblivious types -- could walk out naked on a stage and not understand what all the fuss would be about.  Maybe it's more for me that I don't want the world seeing his Spidey-roos! :wacko:

Avoiding the moment that he does take notice or someone else other than his mom taking notice and causing him extreme embarrassment is what is most important. it is possible that he does NOT know that the tights are see through. For my son, he did not pay attention either. I was the one who noticed (when he tried on his first tights), but then again, I pay attention to all details. That is why he wore the dark colored briefs and 2 pair of tights in the beginning. Now, when we purchase a new brand of tights, the first thing he does is stand in front of a mirror in lots of natural daylight. He says it is bad enough that he has to wear tights (well, now it does not bother him), but to show up in a group of girls, the only guy, and to get giggles because they are not used to having a boy in class.....showing up in see through clothing would be the worst feeling in the world. Trust me,.......your son would not want to show his under clothing anymore than your daughter would want to show hers if she were in a class full of nothing but boys. Ask him if he knows his underwear is showing. See what his reaction is.

tsavoie

If you are painting shoes, use a brush on acrylic instead of the spray. It will not flake off. Also, the girls black leggings are the best for little boys. They are cheaper than tights and work very well.

dancetaxi

At my son's previous dance studio, the required attire for all boys was: white tights, thong dance belt, and white A-shirt (tank top.) Talk about see-through. :yucky: Ugh. No way of avoiding that. I have no idea why they made the boys wear white tights everydayfor classes, but I'm glad that the required attire at his current school includes black tights. :thumbsup:

Gremlin
If you are painting shoes, use a brush on acrylic instead of the spray.  It will not flake off.  Also, the girls black leggings are the best for little boys.  They are cheaper than tights and work very well.

Good suggestions. Also, we found that leggings are more durable than traditional tights. Boys need durability .......especially at that age.

dancemomCA

Chauffeur - if this note is not too late, Mrs. Beevers or Nadia at the Shoe Room will certainly be able to get your son dance slippers from a tracing of his foot. They are very good, but not sure that store is open on Sundays during July.

Good luck!

N

vicarious
Here's what they sent.

T-shirt: Motionwear style 3146 color 505 (white)

Tights: Body Wrappers by Attitudes in Dressing, Inc. Style 0121 BLK Footless pant

Shoes: Bloc Dansoft S0205G Blk

The tights/pants are terrific quite thick, like bike short fabric. Sponge Bob doesn't show through at all.

dancerdriver

We are lucky to have a dancer's shop within a 10 minute ride from the studio. The male who owns the shop calls us when a new product or a new line is out. He orders for us and calls us when it is in.

In a pinch, Target sells short sleeve and sleevless t shirts that are lycra and quite fitted. They resemble the more pricey dancewear that we order.

ania

Thank You Thank You Thank You

My 7 year old son is just starting to try ballet. He went to an audition for a local production of the Nutcracker and got a part. We went through the whole "I don't want to wear girls tights" etc... thing. I've ordered bicycle shorts for rehersals. He has white t-shirts and I found black ballet shoes. I was wanting to write a message asking wear I could find tights...but I didn't have to. The answers are all here.

I love Ballettalk.