Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest castilloje

Playing Rough In Class

Guest castilloje

Here is my story-<please Help>

Just last week, my DD had her first day dance class for the year with her new instructor. . I watched the class for the 1hr. I noticed several different things in the classroom. One is the teacher and two is the students being humiliated. For example I noticed the teacher kicked one of the girls behind as a joke, but the class was laughing and so was the student.. So I said.. Ok.. I guess they are having fun. Then I noticed the second incident where the teacher took her hand and pushed a girls forehead and again I saw the instructor laughing at her and as well as the second student. The third incident I noticed was put in a student in the trash can with her foot in Pirouette turn position and told her it was done wrong that it belonged in the trash.

So after the end of the class my daughter <you can totally tell> she looked so upset that I asked her on our way home what was wrong., she said she is afraid of getting humiliated. So I told her its your choice.. either stay in the class or quit.

So I guess my question to all you.. Is this ok for instructors to be that way to these new students? I'll be honest with you.. these girls have had her already.. and I'm sure they are use to it, but am I just being overly concerned or should I wait it out for another week? <i guess till my daughter walks out of there crying> Just last night she said to me.. mommy wish me luck and I told her, "good luck? for what!?" and she said my jazz class is tomorrow"

That’s how I knew she had been worried all weekend for today’s class.

Please help!!

Edited by castilloje

Hans

IMO, if she feels that uncomfortable about it, she shouldn't attend the class.

I find the teacher's behavior (particularly placing a student in a garbage can) bizarre and potentially abusive, especially considering the age range of the class. Is the teacher new to teaching? It sounds as if she needs to learn more effective correction techniques.

If I were you, I'd tell the artistic director of the school why you are withdrawing your daughter from the class. There is never any reason to humiliate a student in that manner.

Mel Johnson

I entirely concur with Hans.

Babsaroo

How old is the instructor? :D As a ballet mom of a 13 year old, I want quality dance instruction...that's what I'm paying for...and it can be accomplished in a fun way without humilation. As a nurse, the thoughts of one of our young dancers sharing space with trash germs gives me chills. Yuck. :green::wacko:

I'm sure the instructor means no ill will but the instructor sets the mood of the class and sets the example of self-discipline and self-control. When the boundaries blur, problems occur. B)

TutuMaker

castilloje,

I think you anwsered your own question. Your daughter was "upset," "afraid of being humiliated," and she needs "luck" to take her class. Listen to your motherly instinct. Take her out. How can she learn dance, of any kind, when her main motivation in class is fear? Do talk to whoever is in charge so they can know why.

Guest castilloje

Thanks ~HANS, MEL,BOBSAROO,TUTUMAKER~~ for the advice!!

I just wish she had my character so that if she does get to a point where its her she picked on, she will be able to handle it, but with her personality, she is very sensitive especially at her age!! and You are all right, there is no sense in keeping her there if all she does is worry!!

Thanks to all the advice!! I truly do appreciate it..

Edited by castilloje

LAF

I was surprised to read about this teacher's behavior. In my family, we have come across coaches who employed tactics that I can only describe as mean, but what has impressed me so much about ballet is how positive and encouraging my daughters teachers have been! There must be a nicer teacher out there for your daughter.

lampwick

*knock knock*

I've been quite shocked at some of the things that VERY famous, VERY highly regarded ballet teachers have said in class to students. Randomly picking on some unsuspecting individual who's trying thier best.

I don't understand how squashing a dancer's self esteem by singling them out and humiliating them is supposed to be a good teaching tactic. I really don't. It's not constructive.

Sorry, this makes me angry :yes: . It's why talented kids quit.

danceintheblood

I'm in total agreement with lampwick. This type of behaviour is never okay. Being taught through humiliation teaches fear, as you have highlighted. Learning dance means being constantly prepared to take risks and putting yourself out there. How can you do this when you are afraid of being ridiculed?

We had a teacher at dd's studio for less than a year who was very old school. The students technique certainly improved under her teaching. She had trained in Russia and was very hard on the students and often insulting. The AD became aware of exactly the impact she was having and 'moved her on'. Unfortunately, in only the short time the teacher was there, the studio lost several very talented young dancers. They just had enough of going home in tears. Dancing wasn't fun any more - classes weren't anticipated with excitement, but with hesitation and reluctance.

Using humiliation and ridicule to teach or manage is never okay - whether it is in the studio, the classroom, the workplace, the local scout group - anywhere.

Hans

Sorry, but I don't see what having been trained in Russia has to do with it...?

danceintheblood

Hans - From what I know (which I admit is not a great deal as I'm still learning) Russian trained teachers have a reputation for being strict and not the warmest of teachers. I thought this was more typical than not.

Hans

Russian teachers are often quite strict, but they are not abusive (except for the inevitable few "bad apples"). Besides, teachers who humiliate students can be found around the world regardless of their nationality or the syllabus they teach.

danceintheblood

No offence was intended - I was simply painting a picture of the person and her background - not implying that her negative aspects were due to her training in Russia.

GWTW

Hans, there is often a language/culture barrier with Russian and other immigrant teachers, so it isn't always easy to figure out what they mean. I had many Russian teachers at high school - not only for ballet but for academic subjects as well. To this day, I don't know whether Mr Balaban was being complimentary or derogatory when, he told me and my mother that he although he agreed to my being in the class, he thought girls weren't really suited to doing AP maths. :shrug:

chauffeur

I'm not sure there's ever any good rationalization for generalization. Mistake made. Let it go.