Ballet Talk for Dancers
lampwick

Agents

lampwick

I was recently approached in class by a choreographer and asked to dance in a piece at a showcase. Unfortunately, the gig feel through when the male dancer we were going to perform with (a close friend of the choreographer) got an offer with tour involved. Lucky for him, unlucky for me :P

She and I were chatting... I mentioned how I wanted to get some more experience in New York so my resume would look better. Of course, I also want experience because I simply want experience. I want to dance. Ballet, classical/neoclassical, contemporary. I'm very much an etherial "ballerina" type. I wouldn't look right in Broadway type stuff, too skinny for modern dance, etc...

She suggested that I get an agent. Now, I've heard of agents for contract negotiations, for actors, for models, artists, etc... Do freelance ballet dancers have agents as well who can help secure jobs? I've always though that for ballet, one just goes to an open audition, or gets an audition through word of mouth, or secures something when they're "approached" by an interested choreographer. The thought of an agent for someone just starting out never occured to me. :P Would they help with hearing about auditions? Dancers tend to be tight-lipped about opportunities. Don't want to increase the competition. Understandable.

I'm just curious about what an agent's role is for a ballet dancer. Just trying to understand more about the industry in general. I'm not looking for a full time company position. Pick-up troupes, smaller companies, showcases, etc... My circumstances are a little different from the "traditional" route one would take in ballet, but I have met several girls who I know are doing something very similar to what I want to do. It's hard to have the time to approach and talk to people. I'm just curious about the whole agent thing in general.

Victoria Leigh

I think an agents role in the ballet world is primarily for the "stars". Principal dancers in companies use them to get guest positions outside of their own company during layoff times.

For a dancer just looking to dance, I think auditions are the only route, short of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time.

Mel Johnson

Agents are for when you have an established career, and it becomes too complicated for you to manage yourself.

lampwick

That's exactly what I had always thought. I was confused when this person suggested it. Perhaps she just doesn't know what she's talking about. Or else assumed that I'd want to do other types of work like modeling, acting, etc... Nope. I'm very happy being a computer geek by day.

ConstanzaElisabeth

The other day my boyfriend, a former ballet dancer/now school director suggested that I look into getting an agent for choreography jobs. I am just starting out and have a very limited portfolio, and I would like some help finding work-starting small, of course...Thoughts?

Clara 76

Well, do you want to pay an agent 45-more % of what you could do by yourself and make all the money?

vagansmom

What's the difference between an agent for a company and an agent for an individual artist? Is the fee structure similar?

ConstanzaElisabeth

Money isn't the issue. I just want to have somewhere to set my ballets. The question is, can they find that for me, with as little as I'm starting with?

Mel Johnson

In my experience, an agent when you're just starting out is superfluous. You could do as good a job selling your own work, or even better, for that matter.

Victoria Leigh

You may need to do a whole lot more work to have the credentials to be sought as a choreographer, and a lot of that work may need to be gratis. Some of the places to start building that resume would be RDA companies and solos and pas de deux for competitions like YAGP and Prix de Lausanne, and other International ballet competitions. Most of them have prizes for choreography. The RDA companies have an "emerging choreographer" category, and becoming recognized in this kind of organization can lead to work with other companies within the organization. Once you become established as a good choreographer, then you can start making money at it! :wink:

I agree with Mr. Johnson that an agent is probably not the way to go at this point in time. You need to establish yourself first.