Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest samba38

Evaluating a Ballet Program: Measuring Success

LAF

Thanks, liliana and tendumom. I appreciate the advice about seeing an audition as an opportunity to guage the level of the training that she is getting from her studio now. We had been thinking of them as a way to see how she personally is doing, but it makes sense that they can also show us something about the training itself. We are doing some auditions, so it sounds like that is a good next step for us to be taking now.

So, I guess we have some evaluating to do about what we do next. Thanks again for the helpful advice!

lillianna

IF your daughter does attend a SI, see if they can give her an evaluation at the end of the program. When my oldest attended an SI, eons ago, the practice was to give evaluations at the end. When the director of the well known SI suggested that she should attend a school that would give her more and better classes, it gave us the courage to move on. We loved our school and without having any other experience, it seemed "good" to us. But when my daughter was the only one getting accepted at SIs that required auditions, or maybe one other some years, it gave us a clue that she was not getting the training that she needed if she wanted to pursue a future in ballet.

We made the change and then later the girls went to big name schools for their last 2 years of training. If we had not made the original move to a good school, my girls wouldn't have their careers today.

BW

Bumping this one up because I know there are more than a few people who are in this mode of thought - please remember that "year round" programs are not limited to residential programs. :sweating: And here is another good thread Choosing a Year Round program - a different point of view which has as its theme the value of company based schools... and you also might find Schedules in the Intermediate to Advanced Levels, During the Year useful for comparison. :D

P.S. And for balance - Watermill's A Dose of Brutal Reality: the 2 % Rule

Edited by BW

BW

We've decided to move this very helpful thread into the "sticky zone" here on Cross Talk so that it will always be easy for people to find and use as a resource. This thread is still open and you're encouraged to read it and post any related questions here. Naturally, this doesn't mean that no new threads should be started - for example, we have a number of threads about specific ballet schools, etc. :)

BW

Here is another older thread that may help those of you who are weighing things about different programs: How To Decide About Residency Programs? This thread I've hyperlinked to is not a thread that compares different programs, but rather one that discusses all the different aspects of making this kind of decision.

This particular sticky "Evaluating a Ballet Program" is really about the process that students and parents and, yes, teachers, all go through when trying to figure out whether a ballet program is a good one for a particular student, etc.

Recently I moved a few posts off here because they became too zeroed in on a particular poster's daughter's decisions, though there was nothing at all wrong with that, because I could see that the discussion deserved a thread of its own. :)

stretchdance

I know that my daughter is not the norm, but I have to disagree on the tap issue. My girl is currently a paid professional with a regional ballet company, however she took tap, jazz, hip hop and lyrical as well as ballet until she was 18. She got into many of the SI programs over the years including Joffrey, ABT and Boston. I think a good teacher is a good teacher is a good teacher, doesn't matter if the school is primarily a "Broadway style" school like my daughter attended or a ballet school. Good technique is good technique and the child with talent will progress and succeed regardless of the size of the school or the "name" of the teacher, or the styles of dance studied. The added advantage of all that "extra" dance style training is that she has a built in plan "B" if she ends up suffering from ballet burnout (plus she has a college degree for plan "C" in case of injury). The best thing we can do for our kids is to give them the option to succeed.