Ballet Talk for Dancers
mmded

Royal Winnipeg Ballet School

mmded

This should be included in this forum. :pinch:

hkLola

Agreed!

I'm planning on driving the (eep!) 10+ hours to Manitoba (that's one way) to audition in November. I'd like some information on the whole audition like what goes on and all that stuff. Is it just a ballet/pointe audition? Do I wear my pointe shoes in the audition? (OK, I have never auditioned before for a school but for auditions here we wear our pointe shoes if we are en pointe and do everything en pointe). And is there a specific colored leotard that would be best to wear? (Or could I go with the striking royal blue to stand out some?)

Also would love to know the percentage of students accepted for the summer program and curious to know if you could just "move" to Manitoba to take part in the year round program if you don't get accepted into the residential program?

mmded

The professional program has a residency component for those who do no live with parents in Winnipeg or are not old enough or ready to rent an apartment. The program is by invitiation only after a month long audition summer school. You must also be invited back each year after being evaluated and completing exams each year.There is also a recreational program but it is totally separate from the professional division. There were no new students accepted this year for the top two levels in the school and the number of aspirants accepted varies each year (this year only one level one was accepted because there is a larger than average number of level two aspirants). Aspirants are within a year or two of being ready to dance professionally for a company. A number of graduates from the school stay a year or two in the aspirant program to become more polished but they are considered to be advanced dancers and have completed formal training.

As far as leotard, it should be something you are comfortable in and feel good in but a classic ballet style. The uniform of Royal Winnipeg is a navy blue with a pinch pleat front. I can't tell you how much of the audition for older girls is en pointe but I would certainly have both canvas and pointe shoes with you. Girls in the senior levels (some of whom may be as young as fifteen) may dance up to three or four hours a day en pointe including rehearsals so certainly being strong en pointe is expected.

hkLola

I'm assuming that if you are in the top two levels at your home school then it'd probably be somewhat similar to their program from what I have seen (in reguards to my school, I took the highest level class during a combo and did alright, remembering everything off the bat was new to me though but I'm getting a much better memory at my new school but take mainly intermediate classes except for one day a week now which is with advanced and pre-pro levels). I'm going to guess that since they didn't accept any new people last year then they probably will this year. What I am wondering is would they give preference to you if you were up to their standards and could live off campus? I'd assume it'd be easier for them (since I am guessing most people are from out of province and country and require housing). I don't really have another specific program I plan to apply to, RWB seems like a good fit for me as I want to dance much of the day and prefer a cooler climate at this point lol and would like to leave the US but not be too far from my family (Ontario would be a better option but NBS wouldn't be for me). Pointe is no problem for me, I haven't experienced any problems (except for the accident I had last week cause I cut my one big toe nail too short but I danced through it, I'll be more careful next time lol). I'd be applying for the regular school not the aspirant program.

dancingin the sun

Did anyone watch Balletgirls on Bravo last night - it was insightful about the RWB PD.

dancemomCA

There is a thread on Cross Talk which is discussing the Documentary - head on over! :blushing:

California Dancer

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has an exceptional company. I would love to dance there one day. Has anyone heard of their ballet academic program. I guess you have to attend their summer program to audition for it. They provide dorms and schooling and it last like a school year(the ballet academic program). Has anyone attended their summer intensive? I'm going to audition and possibly go. I want to try to get into the ballet academic program when I go.

Any info would be great!

mom2

California Dancer,

If you scroll down a few pages here, you'll find a thread specifically about this school. It might answer some of the questions you have.

Hope this helps,

mom2

dancemaven

California Dancer, I merged your thread with the one we already had started! :)

morag

Hi California Dancer

I'm new to this whole online forum thing, but not to RWB. The summer intensive is the second part of the audition for the fall/winter program (ballet academic). they say that abut 1,000 audition, abotu 100 are accepted to summer and a handful of those to teh fall/winter. Most of the new students are in levels 1,2 and some 3 (gr 6,7,8 school age). The level 3 class this year went from 7 to 14, but many of those are expected to be cut before next year.

Every year at the orientation on palcement day (first day of summer school) they addres the question of who is likely to be accepted and I have heard an amazing range of ansers from the school...some years they say that it does help your case if you can live non-res, other years they say that only talent matters...I know that talent or no, money matters. There have a bursary and scholarship program but except in a very few cases, it's not enough since it doesnt provide for all the extras such as transportation to and ffrom home, and even in the case of a very tlaented student a full scholarship may only meet tuition and basic residence cost. There have been several taletnted dancers who had to decline because of money.

They have a few wonderful teachers (two of the men in particular, one of whom is new this year) and some competent teachers..I don't seem to hear as much about "teaching with love" the way I have heard about the National....

There have been a lot of changes at the school (several deans of resience and several registrars over the space of only two years) and at this point it's difficult to tell what the future holds. They are much more organized in terms of residence students than they are for non-residence students, which means that if you are non-res you need to be CONSTANTLY on top of scheduling...many times things are changed at the last minute.

One real benefit to being at RWB is that the school and company are in the same building and the company members are (for the most part) quite friendly and helpful to students.

I have to go but would be delighted to answer any questions you think of!

And if anyone can tell me how to access previous or ongoing indepth discussion on Canadian schools (I find things but almost by accident so far) I would appreciate it very much. My DK is trying to make a difficult decision on where to be next year but I know that the picture from the inside can be quite different from expectations...I'll appreciate the help.

balletbooster

moraq, welcome to Ballet Talk and thank you for sharing the information about RWB! We look forward to getting to know you better and having you as an active member of our cyber community.

On this same forum, you will find a thread on NBS. The threads are in alpha order, so you can find it easily. On the General Topics forum, within the Pre-Pro forum, you will find some additional threads about Canadian schools. You can also use the search function to find other threads that might be of interest to you as you try to make decisions. We have several long time users and/or their parents who attend both NBS and RWB, so I think you will find helpful information here to assist you!

California Dancer

Thanks moraq for that wonderful load of info!

So now aia just have a few more questions :blink:

1)how much is the summer intensive and ballet academic program?

2) I s tteh ballet academic program for mostlylower leveled dancers or do they have advanced too?

3)you said that level 3 rangs from ages 7 to 14? thats a big age diffference.

4)do they take seperate classes?

5)Is the summer intensive a good CHALLENGING program or is there a lot of time where you are doing nothing?

6) Are the dorms and food any good? (just curious)

7) Are the studios big?

I went to joffrey texas and the studio, ood, dorms, schedule were all terrible! :blushing:

thanks again for answering all my questions. i hope they are not repetitive and that you have already answered them! :blushing:

balletbooster

california dancer,

Many of your questions are answered on the SI forum in the RWB thread. This thread is strictly for discussion of the year-round program. Take a look over on the other thread and see if your SI questions are not answered. If not, please ask them on that forum, so that we can keep information about the year-round and summer programs separated. :blushing:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=20939

mom2

just chiming in with what I hope is a clarification.

Morag, please correct me if I have this wrong!!

I did have to read morag's post a couple of times as at first read I thought she meant that wide age range too - 7-14, and was confused. I THINK she meant that the size of a class increased from 7 to 14 dancers - the numbers were not related to age at all.

m2

morag

Hi everyone

It is wonderful to have this community of ballet people - I'm so glad I found out!

Now for questions (no particular order!)

1.Yes mom2, 7 to 14 is size of class not age range...my fingers dont always listen to y brain when I type! They are very particular about keeping same age together and make very few exceptions to that rule, so level three are all now 13 with some turning 14 in the new year just as most in gr 8 school

2. res and studios are in a newer building (1985?) and are connected by overhead....studios are large and really lovely as is the building itself (also used by the company); res rooms are doubles or some quads with laundry and lounge on each floor as well as a big central lounge. all new kitchen staff this year and NOT such great reviews on that, although some of the problem is that the nutritionist nixed certain things.....but a lot of people are buying food elsewhere in spite of the inconvenience and expense.

3. training is demanding both summer and fall/winter (sorry -I wont mention summer again!)..students attend the University of Winnipeg Collegiate for afternoon academics in gr 9-12 with dance classes from 8:30 AM to 12 in the morning and rehearsels for In Concert, FIrst Steps etc in the evening as well as art and music classes in the evening. GR 9 academics are in residence by special arrangement with the COllegiate since they do not normally offer GR 9.

4. fulltime/ fallwinter /ballet academic is for levels 1 -7 corresponding to grades 6 - 12 in school. level 6 and 7 may be asked to dance with the company in larger productions (not this year because there are no large) and levels 5-7 produce a show every Feb of their own choreography. It is very well done with rehearsels beginning in the previous summer session, and runs for two weeks. Some grads go straight to a company but most either carry on in the aspirant or other similar program and some stop dancing altogether.

5. year round tuition for senior levels....hmmm canadian students is I think $2250 this year but non-canadian is quite a bit higher....maybe twice that? res for candians is around $9,000 and the Collegiate is $2000....you can email the school from their website rwb.org ....they arent always so great at responding but just keep at it!

Thanks balletbooster for pointing me in the right directions --I am beginning to be able to find things with search now....if there is a thread that hasnt been posted to in a long time, is there a way to continue it? If I post to it, will others see that and answer or is it better to start a new one?

THank you all for being here - I've been feeling a bit lonely lately!

M