Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest balletchick7025

University of Cincinnati

leahrenee

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back after an audition?

mamasokol

leahrenee...last year my daughter logged into her account and her results had posted after 2 or 3 days. The letter in the mail took a little while longer.

LTM

Double majoring can be hard... I believe there are certain majors that work with the UCs ballet programs schedule. A student would really need to explore that with the second major and the program. We know students that doubled majored in Spanish and Psychology; however a double major in dance and UC DAAP (Art and Design programs) is not possible.

monkeymama

Has anyone that auditioned this year heard back yet? How quickly did you hear?

laurelballet

My DD auditioned on 1/14 and received her acceptance email on 1/20.

balletmaman17

DD auditioned in NY on 2/26. Got acceptance today 3/3/17.

Lexballet

Does anyone have any recent information on opportunities to study abroad at CCM??

JSM285

My daughter is a junior and just starting the college process. She'd really like to go to a college with a classic ballet program- CCM is one of her top choices. For those of you who have daughters who have been accepted to the CCM program, can you give me a feel for the caliber of dancer that is accepted? My daughter has attended notable summer intensives- Pennsylvania Ballet, CPYB. She's only been waitlisted for SAB, never fully accepted. Any thoughts or knowledge on this? 

momcantdance

My DD got accepted to the ballet program and we are excited, but now have some decisions to make.  Am really impressed with the goal of the program being foremost, to have the students be working professionals.  Is that impression correct?  Any updates on size of incoming class?  Happy bunheads currently there?  Where do the graduates dance?  Anyone else considering CCM for Fall 2018?

Honestly, DD needs to 'cook a little longer' and a collegiate environment would suit her to do that, but her goal is to dance professionally and we support her.

OHmom

We had a very nice visit with CCM's dance department yesterday.  Momcantedance, it is my impression that yes their primary goal is to prepare their students for a professional life in a company.  In fact, they mentioned that they have had juniors and seniors audition for a company, accept the company position and finish out their degree online.  They very much seemed to support this.  They also told us that they have a relationship with Dayton Ballet in which some students are selected to perform in Dayton Ballet's Nutcracker, get paid, while still earning school credits.  We met with both the modern teacher, who is the freshman advisor, and one of their ballet instructors and both were very willing to spend the time thoroughly answering our questions.  

Edited by OHmom
spelling

OHmom

Also, to answer your question about the 2018 incoming class, I was told they had approximately 100 audition and they made 35 offers.  Out of those 35 they expect 15-18 to accept and enroll.  It was evident they like to keep their class sizes small and personalized.  If you have any questions about the level, I would highly suggest scheduling an appointment to observe.  We were able to observe from a glass walled room from above the studio and saw both an hour and a half tech class and a variations class.  It gave my daughter a real sense of where she felt she would fit in level-wise.  The two classes we observed included mixed levels and ages, with about 20-25 students in each.  During the variations class each student would individually perform their variation in front of the instructor and receive feedback.  It was Monday and the students were preparing for their boards on Friday.  

momcantdance

We are still deciding... going to look at another school next week and decide then.  My biggest concern is the stability of the faculty.  One of the main ballet teachers has been out this semester for personal reasons and being so small (a good thing), it matters when one great teacher is out.

Good news is that they just let us know about a nice little academic scholarship, last night.

OHmom, did you decide?  Being in state, assuming you are in OHio, make things much easier financially.

OHmom

Momcantdance, we have another year to decide as my daughter is a junior.  Yes, we are lucky that CCM is by far the least expensive college on my daughter's list.  We are only a couple of hours away from the school so we are driving there tonight for their "Legends of Dance" spring performance.   I wasn't aware of one of their main teachers being gone this semester.  When we visited we observed a beautiful guest teacher, who is a recently retired Principal dancer from Cincinnati Ballet,  teaching one of the 2 tech classes.