Ballet Talk for Dancers
Tarah

Ballet Schools in Australia - Victoria

Tarah   
Tarah

(sorry if wrong section) Everyone talks about pre-pro schools and I was wondering if anyone knew any in Victoria because I don't know what you classify a pre-pro school?

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

This is only a personal opinion, but I don't think much of the term "pre-professional". It includes everybody, the good, the bad and the ugly, in a state of training before they start getting paid for their work. I much prefer the RAD term "vocational" to reflect the high standard of vocabulary and training which will produce a ballet dancer who's worth paying! :wacko:

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

I agree with Mr. Johnson about the terminology, and the fact that "vocational" schools produce dancers and the others do not. The problem is that here in this country, they are called pre-professional schools, and the term is used to denote schools that have intensive programs, with highly qualified professional teachers, and they train dancers. These schools can be company affiliated, or not, residency programs, or not, and large schools, or not. There are very qualified pre-professional, or vocational, schools in this country which are not huge, not company affiliated, and not residency. However, there are also hundreds, maybe thousands, of schools which could not be considered pre-professional simply because they do not have the teachers or the program that can train a classical dancer. They might do very well in competitions in jazz, modern, "lyrical", or tap, but their ballet is generally not at a level that will take a classical dancer into the professional category.

Redbookish   
Redbookish

The obvious vocational & state-funded schools in Victoria are the Australian Ballet school, and the Victorian College of the Arts. The VCA is now part of the University of Melbourne. The Aussie Ballet school takes students pre-high school matriculation; the VCA generally at university level (ie after the Australian HSC). Both excellent places of training (two of my sisters trained at each - both have had very good professional careers - altho' both outside Australia) but highly competitive to enter. You might also look at private ballet studios offering full-time vocational training, but these are generally fee-paying. Someone based in Melbourne might know more about those.

Tarah   
Tarah

Thanks for your help, heaps. I will have to look into it but I can't see my parents allowing me to dance full time they already think I dance enough as it is which is only about ten hours a week. And I also don't think they will allow me to as they think school is more important and don't think I have a career as a professional, they want me to teach dance. Thanks again.

Guest kella   
Guest kella

Hi Tarah,

Judging from your other posts, it sounds like you really want to be dancing full time. I'm glad you're going to look into Redbookish's options - maybe you should see if you can get into one of these programs and discuss the possibilities with your parents.

It's better to take chances in life than wonder about what could have been. :)

Tarah   
Tarah

Your definately right thanks for you helpful opinion :)

Redbookish   
Redbookish

You could show your parents the VCA website. They run courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level in dance pedagogy (teaching dance). And the University of Melbourne is one of the most prestigious tertiary institutions in Australia.