Ballet Talk for Dancers
tsavoie

Tisch School of the Arts at New York University

tutumama

Good luck to your daughter, dancingSJ.  I'll try to report back when we get home.  She knows how hard this audition is and is hoping to make it through.

dancingSJ

tutumama:  I hear you about this being a tough audition. I look forward to your report.

DD has to travel for this audition.  fortunately, I was able to schedule another SI audition for the same weekend so it can lessen the blow if this audition did not go as well.

I really wish they don't do these cut audition - but instead allow everyone to just complete the entire audition. But it is what it is.

hlsst7

Merde to everyone's DK auditioning this year.  My DD was accepted for fall '17 and is enjoying Tisch Dance immensely.

tutumama

dancingSJ, Apologies on not getting this out last night. Our bus in to Philly was delayed and we did not get to be until after 12am. We took the bus in from Philly and arrived a bit early. Grabbed some tea and split a bagel at the local Starbucks. Check in started at 12pm and we arrived a few minutes before. They have a little lobby area where parents can wait and they ushered the dancers in to a studio to register and get warmed up. The audition started at 1pm and lasted until 3. There were 23 dancers. 3 were boys and 2 were MFA candidates. There was 1 ballet mistress and 1 modern teacher. There were 2 adjudicators. So 4 adults in the room at all times. Traditional barre, middle and across the floor and then a short break and in to the modern. Then the adults conferred and called out the numbers for the dancers who stayed to perform a solo and be interviewed.

During the audition a male 3rd year student came down to answer questions and give a tour of the building. He was very articulate and did a great job explaining the program.

The dancers not moving on to a solo came out and left. There were 14 dancers chosen to stay. My daughter said it was a very strong class of dancers. (for reference, her friend did a prior audition and only 5 dancers were chosen to solo) They split them in 2 groups and had one group in a studio with 2 adults and the other 7 in the second studio. All of the dancers stay to watch each other do their solos. My daughter was a bit nervous about that but they ended up being so supportive of one another. Everyone clapped after each solo. My daughter did the only classical variation. All others were contemporary solos.

After that they called them to the back of the room to interview. That was one on one.. My daughter loved this interview. It was fairly lengthy and she just felt like the teacher understood her. She was really happy with her day and loves the program. She forgot to ask how long it takes to get notified, so now we wait,

dancingSJ

tutumama:  thanks for the update. My DD auditioned in SF today (Saturday).  Two other girls who she danced with in younger ages were there too and so there was a good support too.  I did not have all the numbers but over all - there were 40 dancers and about half were kept for the solo.  I saw only 1 boy but I am not certain he was the only one. There were two teachers/adjundicators.  

And same as your DD's experience, my DD found that the dancers were all supportive of each other during the solos.  

When the dancers who were not moving to the solo came down - I talked to one of them - she felt that the auditioners were only keeping those dancers who are very strong in ballet.  She said she and her friend are competition dancers with little ballet background and she felt that was the reason she and her friend were not selected.  She said all the ones who stayed for solo were definitely ballet girls.

During the interview, they asked which schools the dancers were applying to and if they get in Tisch, would they come.   And if not dance, what major would you do.

I think we find out acceptance from the university in April 1 - correct?

tutumama

I think that you are correct about the ballet. The interviewer commented on her strong technique and loved that she did the classical variation and on pointe. He reiterated that they really do not perform classical/storybook ballets but that he could see her doing contemporary ballet on point and that he would love to see her in a partnering role. 

My daughter has 10 years of only classical training at a very good pre-pro in Philadelphia, however, at 15/16 she moved to train a mid-sized contemporary company. While she still takes 12 hours of ballet a week she also has modern, jazz and contemporary. All of the programs she is auditioning at are Contemporary/modern focused. She has been really happy that her strong ballet has been commented on in each interview.

One of her friends has already been admitted to NYU and she said it was for the BFA. I'm going to have my daughter ask her some more detailed questions on Tuesday! Did your daughter enjoy the audition? It moved right up mine!

dancingSJ

tutumama: my DD and her friends were all so happy after the audition and all said how they would love to go to Tisch - but they also know to keep it in perspective.  

donna7662

My DD is auditioning on 2/16. We know it's a longshot, but the good news is that we can visit my other daughter while we're there! And if she gets cut early, we will see a show and have a great time! That's how I'm spinning it! LOL! This is all so crazy! Bad enough to have to apply to the university, but to have to get into the program too! Just way more stressful than most other kids! 

tutumama

donna....good luck to your daughter. Love to hear your thoughts after the audition. Hoping to get feedback on when they will notify. We seem to have dropped the ball with this question;)

MissDonna

DD applied to Tisch 2 years ago and sorry to say that they did not even hit the April 1 notification date.  (I think it was the 2nd or 3rd)

Another daughter applied to NYU nursing and her notification also late.  I guess it's just an NYU thing :)  

Good luck to everyone and I really do believe that they all end up where they are meant to be!  Sometimes kids think a program is perfect for them, but actually it's not. It takes time to gain the perspective to realize this though.

hlsst7

My DD heard on either March 31st or April 1st, neither of us can remember the exact date.  Everyone she knew that also was accepted heard on the exact same day.