Ballet Talk for Dancers
odette922

AM I taking enough ballet?

Guest A Boy

So, the only way I can change the amount of classes I take that is to join multiple schools?

Edited by A Boy

SeaMonkey

A boy, you might try calling around and finding just 1 school that offers the amount of classes you need instead of taking all over the place

Guest A Boy

I only know of one other ballet school in my nearish area...

Mel Johnson

You may have to do what you have to do, even improvise between schools in order to get you the classtime you need.

Mel Johnson

A thought occurs to me: Does your school offer an Intermediate Foundation class? Or even Intermediate? (the former is non-essential in the RAD curriculum) If so, are they on different days from your grade 5 classes? They would help you get the stamina you need to go on to a vocational track, which you'll have to do anyway, because there is no grade 6 for boys!

Guest A Boy

I hadn't realised that there isn't grade 6 for boys. I don't know whether there are intermediate classes.

I'll check it out tommorow, when I go to ballet again...

Mel Johnson

Splendid! I'm glad you'll look into it. Not having seen you for two days, I feared that we had lost you, and that would be the LAST thing I'd want. As in a ballet school, a teenage male dancer is a valuable commodity on a discussion board, not that we don't value our adult male population, too!

qtpiedanzer01

Is 16 hours a week adequate for a 15-year-old and a freshman in high school who wants to pursue a career in ballet? if i don't have a pointe class then i always take my technique class en pointe.

Victoria Leigh

Sounds pretty good, qtpiedancer. :P

Mel Johnson

Sounds reasonable to me, too! :P

DewDrop5392

Is 17.5 o.k. for 13? It's less than last year...........

Mel Johnson

It should be OK. It depends how it's distributed. Is any of that rehearsal? If so, it doesn't count as much as classtime.

dancergirl39

17.5 hours for a 13 year old? That seems like an awful lot to me!!! Just realize how lucky you are. I only get 8 hours at 14. :)

DewDrop5392

It's 2.5 hrs. mon- fri. and on saturdays it is 2hr. tech. 1 hr. pointe 1hr pilates and 1 hr. rep.

I like this year's schedule much better than last year, it was over kill for how old I was then.

Mel Johnson

Sounds good to me.