Ballet Talk for Dancers
EllenDana

Atlanta Ballet Pre-professional program

bettyboo   
bettyboo

Hi 12daisygirl:

I hope I'm not stepping over the line here with my opinion, but I guess it depends on how rigorous your dk prior training was to begin with. It is all relative. Some students of that age group may be coming from residency programs where they take 2 -2 hour technique classes a day plus pointe plus rehearsals, and partnering 2 or 3 times a week , pilates etc for sometimes a total of 30 plus hours a week in the studio. So some dk's may be ready and some may not.

Momof3darlings   
Momof3darlings

I'm hoping someone will be able to update on the current "graduates" (if any) in this program and what their plans are for next year. If they have company positions, please let us know if those are trainee, apprentice, corp and then male/female. This information helps others track the true success of the program from year to year.

vaganova_dancer   
vaganova_dancer

Hi,

I just wanted to add that I will be starting to take classes there next week in the pre-pro division. I am so excited :)

Ms. Leigh, I am just curious, do you still teach there?

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

No, sorry, but I only sub once in a while on Saturdays for the pre-pros. Usually in Jan. and Feb.

Any recent news on this program? Wondering how many dancers per level? In a previous post it listed 12-15 and I'm curious if that is still the case.

Ginniathezinnia   
Ginniathezinnia
Any recent news on this program? Wondering how many dancers per level? In a previous post it listed 12-15 and I'm curious if that is still the case.

I haven't experienced it for myself, however I do have a friend that I used to take dance with, and she is a part of Atlanta Ballet's company now. She's always been a very good talented dancer and I think this program seemed like a good fit for her.

jabba20000   
jabba20000

Anyone have any recent on this program? dD may be starting here in the fall assuming her audition class goes well. How large is each level and what is the average age level of each group? How has the graduating class done as far as college acceptances/trainee positions, ect.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tchaik   
tchaik

Does anybody know the residence situation for the Atlanta Ballet School? I am going for the yearround program for this coming September and I am looking for apartments in the area. The school suggested an apartment complex, but the reviews online have been less than spectacular. I was wondering if anybody has personal experience with the Tamarron apartments?

glissade_jete   
glissade_jete

Do you want to be right near the studio? Most of the nearby area isn't super great... If you don't mind a short drive, you can go north towards Cobb County and find apartments in the Smyrna or Vinings area, or even Marietta. It's a safer location, IMO.

bettyboo   
bettyboo

Apex is right down the street from AB's studios in west midtown. The units are new and very affordable and just a bike ride away from the studio. If you want more information you can PM me if you can. My dd lives there! There is also Post Collier Hills which is on Howell Mill and Collier Rd and about 2 miles from the studios, they are more expensive and older than Apex!

tchaik   
tchaik

Unfortunately I have yet to recieve pm privileges. But I do have a couple of questions about the apex apartments. Is it ok if I just post the questions on the forum?

tchaik   
tchaik

Thanks you so much Ms Leigh! I have looked at the apartments and they look very nice. The reviews have been mostly positive as well. I was just wondering if Bettyboo could tell me more about the security aspects of the apartment. And how reliable and responsive managment is? Also if the neighbourhood/ public transit is safe? Neither my roommate nor I have a car.

Momof3darlings   
Momof3darlings

I am not familiar with the area of the apartments, but public transportation is more limiting than it is in many other large cities. I would check the MARTA system maps to be sure that your dancer can get to everything they need to within the area that the train or bus routes travel. It's a hard city to get around without a car. I'm sure it's possible, just not as user friendly as other major city transportation I've seen.

lovemydancers   
lovemydancers

The challenge in this case is not so much the public transportation system, but Atlanta Ballet's new location. It is in a warehouse district that is off the beaten path. There is a bus stop on the busy highway in front of the studios, but you'll need to research where else that particular route takes you and connects to.