Ballet Talk for Dancers
EllenDana

Atlanta Ballet Pre-professional program

Ballet_Mage

When do schedules usually go out?

aspirant_dancer

There are weekly schedules that are sent out anywhere from Wednesday to Friday of the previous week.

Ballet_Mage

So the week before the August 15th start date?

aspirant_dancer

Yes.

catlawyer

Hello from the west coast!

My DD auditioned for the SI yesterday in Portland and was accepted into the advanced program. She is a senior this year and is looking for a solid path to at least a year-round pre-pro program to start in the Fall. Can you tell me what might be available to her if she attends the SI? The Atlanta program came highly recommended by a professional dancer friend in Memphis. Any insights you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Elizabeth

aspirant_dancer

People who are in the highest or second highest level of the intensive are often asked to stay as a part of the conservatory program for year round. Others are asked to stay in the pre professional division (aspirant, elite, and premiere). I am not sure how things will go this year because there is a new artistic director who is already displaying a very different taste from the previous one.

catlawyer

Thank you! Can you tell me how the new director is changing things?

aspirant_dancer

Well, he hasn't had the chance to make any immediate changes to the company or fellowship roster, but based on the new additions and the repertory he is presenting this season, the company will be much more classical than it has been in past years. It isn't 100% clear what changes will be implemented into the school, but I'm sure that in the next few years there will be many changes, as with any new artistic director.

catlawyer

Thanks again, Aspirant!!

danceimatter

Concerning the housing after the SI if a dancer continues on for the school year in the conservatory,  anyone have experience with this? 

aspirant_dancer

There is no provided housing.