Ballet Talk for Dancers
EllenDana

Atlanta Ballet Pre-professional program

bubbalicious

gasguzzler, you could ask if they are setting aside and positions for AB2 for summer people or if they will have a full roster. The AB2 will also be at the professional intensive. Do you know anything about the intensive. Has that changed as well?

aspirant_dancer

In past years of pro camp, some people have not been cast in any pieces at all, or they were only in the corps for one or two pieces. So, if you’re on that side of the group, you would have one class in the morning with everyone and then that would be all if you weren’t called to rehearse anything. They could also take the advanced intensive’s classes if they wanted to. This contributes to why the professional intensive costs less than the advanced intensive; it’s hardly a traditional “intensive,” but more of a company experience type program with fewer classes and more rehearsals.

Also in past years, they have invited people to attend the professional intensive and expressed interest in hiring them, but when the time came, they only had a spot for them in the Conservatory program (close to a traineeship, tuition based program). I know this is pretty common, but I want to confirm that this intensive is no exception.

I know of at least three or four dancers on the taller end currently in the company. Most of them seem to be average to short (maybe 5’6-5’3 ish?). What’s strange is that two of the “principals” of the company are on opposite ends of the spectrum height wise. That said, it’s hard to tell what direction he is going in.

As far as AB2, one girl who did both Belle in Beauty and the Beast as well as Marya in The Nutcracker is very short, maybe 5’3 or a bit shorter. The rest of the second company members (ladies) are probably between 5’4 and 5’7. 

Toitoi43

Guest narthaki

The 2017-18 roster of AB2 has 7 women and 5 men.They are grouped in the pre- professional  division.  I am not sure  about the duration of the program: if dancers stay for a year or two before moving on. Has anyone asked how may AB2 spots are open for 2018-19?

Taxi dance

DD auditioned at regular SI audition and was given a sheet of paper that marked both advanced and professional intensive. She is old enough for the professional one and I assume it is the more advanced one but I can’t find anything on the website that says how they are different and why the professional one is less money. Is it less hours? Any information would be great if someone knows. I will call or email if needed. 

aspirant_dancer

See my post above. Basically pro camp is one class followed by possible rehearsals. Not necessarily more hours unless you’re cast in a lot of pieces.

Taxi dance

Thanks