Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest dancerlover

Dancegear buying habit?

missvjc420

I go through phases where I buy tons and then not buy any at all. I will buy myself a whole outfit this year for my birthday, probably- I figure 30 should mean LOTS of gifts, at least from me! :) I really want a stirrup foot unitard. I've also been buying tight tanks and tees to wear over my leos lately- keeps me warm but not overheated.

koshka

Definitely a shoe junkie here, though honestly it did take quite a bit of experimentation to figure out which type(s) of slippers wouldn't dig under the ball of my foot (turns out the starting point is to look at the size of the suede toe patch--small ones are no good.

For pointes I've tried most brands now and also have a sense of what works & what doesn't.

For leotards--well, er, I like variety. No halters though--don't care for the feel on me and generally don't like the look on others. It gives the neighbors quite a laugh when I am able to fill up my whole outdoor clothesline with "lycra laundry" (bike shorts, tights, leotards).

Guest pink tights

Koshka-- I can relate to the suede patch woes. I have a love/hate with a pair of full sole leathers that I think are better for turns. I am obsessed with pointe shoes.

dancerlover--I have never ordered from Class In Dance--just think their leo's are beautiful. I usually pay around $35 for leos, have ordered on line for less, but only if I am familiar with the brand, thus know the fit.

Currently interested in the Gaynor leos--Any one know about fit?

ashatNYU

pink tights,

I have one of the Gaynor leos (the "Lace" one seen here) and find it to have a longer torso than the Capezio, Bloch and Mirella ones that I have. I love the lace one because I get compliments on it every time I wear it :-) The one on that site labeled "Straps" has an even longer torso (so much so that I had to send it back). But they are VERY well made leos and seem like they will last a long time.

HTH!

Ashley

WendyMichelle

AshatNYU.........I also have that leo and it really does have a long torso! It is one of the few leotards that I'm not constantly pulling out of my butt! ;)

When I first started back I was constantly buying stuff.......leotards, tights, warmups, flats, pointe shoes. I was having a hard time finding leos to fit my long torso, but also support me bust-wise. Just within the last two months I have decided on a leo.........the Bloch pinch front tank, which allows me to wear a sports bra underneath for extra support. I bought two black and two burgundy (dress code colors). I also discovered the really soft Capezio convertible tights while on a trip to a dance store two hours away and bought what they had......unfortunately they were the hipster style. So then I had to order the same thing, but in the regular style. I also have three pairs of leg warmers, but only use one pair, and two sweaters, a wrap and pull over. I actually do use both of these.

Then there was the ordeal of finding flats. I was wearing the Bloch leather split sole at two old studios, but when I moved to my new studio there is a marley floor that is mopped with liquid rosin so guess what? The leather shoes were eliminated after the first class! So then I went back to the canvas Sanshas, hated how they looked on my feet, tried the pump canvas by Bloch, I don't what the problem was with them but while doing a series of grande jetes the shoe on my right foot "grabbed" the floor and caused me to sprain my ankle, and I finally settled on the performance series by Grishko. Then there was the pointe shoe crisis. I won't even go into details but just say.........I started back in September and it took until *looks at invoice* March 21st to finally find a shoe that I like, I don't sink into, and actually looks great on my foot. In the meantime, hundreds of dollars have been spent on shoes that were worn for one class and ruled out. I've been able to recoup a little money by selling some of them on Ebay, but nowhere near enough to break even.

I finally have gear that I'm happy with so that spending craze seems to have stopped. I cancelled my credit card anyway though.

anb717

Hello, my name is Abby and I have a dancegear buying problem.

I love clothes of any kind, but buying new dance wear just feels kind of special! I usually have 4 or 5 dance classes a week and since I'm a lazy college student when it comes to laundry, I always have to make sure I have at least that many clean. I really like buying new leotards, be it the most basic tank ones from Capezio or a lovely GM one (I have the Asian inspired one and it's just amazing). I have a good 13 or 15 leotards probably. I'm a bit partial to bloch leotard because they have the perfect amount of stretch for me, but because they also manage to fit me well (And being that I'm petite and pretty thing while still having a curvy pair of hips doesn't make fitting too well).

However, tights are another story. I will only by Body Wrappers or Bloch tights. If the store doesn't have them, I won't buy. Shoes are very simple for me right now--bloch pump split soles in leather and Sansha canvas flats. I have a pair of the bloch pump is canvas, but I've found that that the area where the sole is split tends to irritate my feet, so I've been using those as my back shoe or a pair I alternate in when my other shoes are damp.

The excitement is really starting to begin for me because the studio I'm going to be attending now that I'm graduating from college and moving away has a great staff of teachers who work solely with adult classes and late teen/20s former dancer classes. And they support adults going on pointe if they have the physical ability and strength to do it, which I've found to be a rarity. After just taking 2 drop in classes with my soon-to-be teacher, I feel really comfortable and she seems pleased at my level of dance. I'm just really excited because she told me that if I'm able to increase my strength on my left ankle (I've had a lot of problems with my left knee and ankle, so that side is weaker for me), she'd be happy to let me in her beginning pointe class in the late fall or early winter:)

It was a great little piece of motivation for me.

And since my dance store in town has a fabulous discount for students (25% off every purchase with student ID!), I haven't bought much online. This Class in Dance site sounds intriguing to me. If it's a website, would anybody kindly provide me with a link?

BarreTalk

Since no dance stores in Denver carry a reliable supply of men's gear, I depend on mail order and always try to anticipate my needs in advance. You can count on tights blowing out a toe or a seam sooner or later, so might as well have their replacements all ready to go.

Once I get around to actually placing an order it is way too easy to over buy. I think I am now the proud owner of about 5 years worth of technique shoes.

anb717

Thanks, pink tights! What a great looking site--so much variety and prices that are less then some of the dance stores near me.

jimpickles

As a male there's a limited variety that I can (or want to) wear in class - you can only go so far with black t-shirt and tights. But for my yoga/stretching it different. Whereas a normal male when he wanted a pick-up would go out and buy a new suit, or a tie, or a shirt, I go and get some lycra and get another unitard made up. Over the years I've collected a range going from basic black to the fantastic.

If anyone knows where I can get a crocodile-print stretch lycra from (I seen it used, but dont know where to get it) I'd be pleased to hear.

Jim.

Laschwen

With my constant chaging of the flat shoes, being off the usual size charts for tights and leos, and still managing to keep hunting and spending, I think that may be reason enough to keep off the pointe shoes even should my body and feet begin to start cooperating. I have seen on this site what everyone goes through with fit when they have "regular size feet" and still throw out dozens of pairs of shoes after a few wears. I can see the dollar signs mounting up all over the place. That hurts as much as my feet do today.

You can remind me of this whan I change my mind in two years and start enjoying the pointe shoe hunt...

Laschwen

AnneT

Abby - Not able to PM you. Can you tell me more about this great studio that works with adults? I'm in the metro Detroit area and it's really difficult to find decent adult classes.

Thanks!

Sanna Koulu

Those Gaynor Minden leotards look gorgeous, especially the "Straps" one! I'd love to get one in pink.

I've had to miss loads of classes due to tendinitis and a bad case of shin splints, and it always makes my dancewear buying habit flare up... I have a weakness especially for leotards.

About the GM leos, how does the sizing go? I'm 5'9" and wear L in Capezio -- but Capezio leos often seem a bit too short in the torso.

anb717

Hi AnneT--

I know you're pain with adult ballet in the Detroit metro area. It's been much easier finding classes in Kalamazoo where I go to school, but with graduation in just two weeks (eek!), I had to find a place back home.

The absolute best place I've found and have heard wonders about from U of M students is The Dance Gallery Studio in Ann Arbor, home of the Peter Spearling Dance Company. The staff has an amazing range of instruction styles and they really seem to care about the students. Moreover, what I found the most appealing was the emphasis they place on the adult student. They have them throughout the week and from what I was told, they do have quite a few actual "adults" in them, not just teenagers (even though I'm just 21 and shouldn't really be talking). They also have a full summer program, which is unique for most studios in the area. I plan on taking one class, possibly 2, classes a week there if the commute isn't too long for me and if my work schedule allows.

Dance Unlimited in Plymouth has also been spread to me with good news. There summer schedule is very limited, but they start up in August with their "main" season. They too have a pretty good adult program it seems. I sat in on the intermediate ballet class and was pleased with what I saw. They're also very open to adult taking the advanced level non-adult classes if they're at that level and have the desire. Since Plymouth is far more convenient to my apartment and work, I plan on taking a class or two there in the fall.

I just feel lucky being based in western Wayne county since it does give me the option of going into Ann Arbor for classes.

In addition, I'm not positive, but you may be able to audit a course through Wayne State's dance department. I had several teachers from there when I was younger and their skill was unbelievable.

If you need any other info, I'm more then happy to help. I never thought it would be as hard as it is to find adult classes in a metro area as big as the tri-county area!

Guest dancerlover

Woa....looks like I am not alone with this buying fettish. I spent way too much considerably and I know what some of you meant when you hang up your laundry with lines of LYCRA. I like mine colorful but back when I was doing performances and classes, weeekend clothes line was way too RAINBOW-ish for my balcony :D I am still having difficulties chalking up the right pointe shoes as the local stores carries only limited ranges and unlike USA/UK, Asia has no online dancewear stores. Well thats from me :D