Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest dancerlover

Dancegear buying habit?

kasaba

I love dancewear and went thru a buying streak at a local "gently-used" place -- what a godsend! But I finally figured out that it takes more than a cute leo . . . :P

After I got to my goal weight (lost 22 lbs), my husband got me this great black unitard. It's a little exhibitionist -- the other women in my class wear lots of shirts, skirts, etc -- but seeing my figure is a good motivator for me, and keeps me aware of hip placement.

ami1436

Procrastinating on ebay = BAD. I now have a new leo in the mail..............

missvjc420

Just got 5 new leos this week. 3 black 1 wine, 1 teal. All were free, 4 and 8 dollars. 20 for the lot.

Laschwen

I just ordered 2 leos and looked in the not quite local dance shop for more but didn't find any that fit there. More will arrive in the shop next week to try if the mail orders do not fit. The So Danca brand they have in the store fits better than others I have tried so far but I am trying Leo's and one other to see if the XL also is long enough in the torso. I am trying to get the wardrobe up to 4 days without having to do laundry for the next 3 weeks of increased class availability.

I really wanted to get a dance dress with a short skirt but I haven't found anything close except one Body wrappers one and I think that will probably be a little tight until and unless I get 10 lbs off.

I feel pretty good about just one or two more leos this after chatting with one of the Mom's from the dance school who told me her 14 year old daughter must have about 75 leotards. This is a kid who has to wear the regular uniform color most of the time too.

Laschwen

Guest balletguy33

I have so much unnessary dance stuff including leos, tights etc. don't know why but i just love dance gear.

ami1436
Procrastinating on ebay = BAD. I now have a new leo in the mail..............

The leo just came today in the mail.... gorgeous leo... looks HORRID on me. ugh. :)

Guest tutuonmymind

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I had just ordered two new leotards. However, I keep staring at the catalogs on and offline. I am resisting the urge to buy more. I know I can control this. I am in charge...right? Okay, I may buy one or two more. I have two classes a week and two leotards. I am getting tired of washing every week. :) That will make it so I only have to wash every other week. I guess that means two, new ones.

jimpickles

Well, you could try another solution, and just keep on buying, so that you never have to wash any again.

Jim.

Guest tutuonmymind

I actually did that with another part of my wardrobe. I only have to wash them every 6 weeks. Now if only the leotards could be bought in packs of four at a bulk rate. Then maybe I could do the same thing. Unfortunately, I've only found them in packs of one at a discount rate. Somehow that rate isn't quite what I would want it to be to support a frenzy of buying to prevent washing. But I like your thought process. You may be on to something.

NextStage

Not sure if this would help, but the Capezio "Dance Factory Outlet" has a grab-bag of 3 "assorted tank, camisole, or cap sleeve" leotards for $10 -- it looks like you get to choose size only. I think there's a thread that mentions the level of success some of the young dancers have had with this (I don't have experience ordering this myself) somewhere on this site, but I don't know exactly where since it was quite a while ago that I read it. Sorry. Anyway, here's a link to the site:

http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com/capezio/ima/home.php

missvjc420

That 3 for 10 deal seems to work for lots of folks. I've bought 5 Danskin leos at Walmart, in the girl's section. I buy the XL size, and it fits well- I am not small, either- I wear a 10 in street clothes mostly. They are usually 7.97 full price. I found 1 leo at Ross for 4.00 in the girls section clearance rack- it's a Capezio long sleeve cotton. Seriously, if you need several leos and are on the shorter side (I'm 5'3), try these places.

Guest balletguy33
That 3 for 10 deal seems to work for lots of folks. I've bought 5 Danskin leos at Walmart, in the girl's section. I buy the XL size, and it fits well- I am not small, either- I wear a 10 in street clothes mostly. They are usually 7.97 full price. I found 1 leo at Ross for 4.00 in the girls section clearance rack- it's a Capezio long sleeve cotton. Seriously, if you need several leos and are on the shorter side (I'm 5'3), try these places.

I have a danskin outlet near me in Reading,PA. They do not sell leo's in a two pack or anything, but you can buy them much cheaper than at local dance stores.

ashatNYU

There is also a Danskin Outlet in Hershey, PA.

shulie

Well I have to control myself- I own 5 leos, 1 unitard, a vast amount of tights, slippers and pointes- I used to have more but I sold the ones I absolutely did not like. (took me a while to do that but I managed it)

Well my dead pointes pile up anyway- I keep them in a huge bag but can neither throw them away nor sell them- just because every shoe tells some story. Tells me about experiments with other pointe brands, floors, dance studios etc.

I am still looking for the perfect pointe shoe- even though I love the ones I currently wear- but I still have hope there is "that" shoe out there somewhere- so I have to be careful not to buy shoes I wont need. Luckily I have very tapered toes which limits the amount of brands and makes I can buy- I`d still want to try the Grishko 2007 Flexi Pro!!!

Same goes for leos- I have to be careful not to buy too many of them- they come in so many lovely shapes and cuts!

Luckily I do not live in the USA so I cannot order dancefactoryoutlet grab bag leos on a regular base! Even though they are cheap costs add up!

Guest balletguy33
There is also a Danskin Outlet in Hershey, PA.

Yes, your so right, I know of that I saw it from the road one time, but I have never been in it