Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest dancerlover

Dancegear buying habit?

Guest balletguy33
i know something is wrong with me because when ever i am away for work, i look to find the local dance shops in the area. :)

Just bought a few pairs of little black shorts for class. I know I have a problem.

missvjc420

Hey balletguy- if you don't need to quote the post (uses up much needed bandwidth), use the fast reply or add reply keys, that way, the post before yours doesn't repeat in your post. I also have a problem- catalogs are my bathroom reading, I buy leos constantly, and am always searching for the perfect shoe, whether flats or pointes. I'm a clotheshorse, and ballet brings it out in the worst way.

Guest balletguy33

ok, i got it! sorry about that

thedancingj

I usually resent buying new ballet gear because it always seems so overpriced, but I LOVE "creating" new dancewear from old clothes or cheap exercise gear. One of my friends is the queen of this - she has the cutest hot pink arm-warmers/shrug that I've ever seen that she cut from a $2 pair of Old Navy tights. I'm always on the lookout for cheap ugly stuff at Filene's basement that could be cut up to make awesome dance clothes. I had a thrill this weekend when I was going through some old junk at home and found a pair of old, skin-tight stretchy black leggings. I cut off the legs and now I have awesome new black shorts to wear with leotards for class, since it is getting WAY to hot and sticky for tights. :wink:

ashatNYU

thedancingj - I think I have those hot pink tights from Old Navy! And of course I have never worn them :-) How exactly does one make a shrug from tights??

Guest balletguy33
thedancingj - I think I have those hot pink tights from Old Navy! And of course I have never worn them :-) How exactly does one make a shrug from tights??

why have u never worn the hot pink tights?

ashatNYU

Haha you know, I have no idea! I love bright colors, but I guess I could never find anything to match :shrug:

davidg

Anyone know of any organization that takes old (but useable) dancewear? I'm reluctant to just give it to a local studio because there are so few men or boys who might eventually use it.

Guest balletguy33
Anyone know of any organization that takes old (but useable) dancewear? I'm reluctant to just give it to a local studio because there are so few men or boys who might eventually use it.

i am sure u could give it to good will, or the salvation army

davidg

I don't believe Goodwill would know what to do with it. Dancewear is pretty specialized. I don't believe Goodwill would be able to find dancers who could use it. A quick look at the Goodwill on-line auction site reveals NO dancewear for sale, this is not the right marketplace. Most likely, dancewear would end up in the rag pile, shipped in bulk to third world countries to be used in making high rag content paper.

Guest balletguy33

i am sure they would be happy with whatever they get

missvjc420

I've bought dancewear at Goodwill in my starving student days. I've seen some there recently, but Portland is well known for it's cadre of thrifty shoppers.

kasaba
Just got 5 new leos this week. 3 black 1 wine, 1 teal. All were free, 4 and 8 dollars. 20 for the lot.

WHOA!!! Where the heck did you get that deal?!? Sign me up!

Our studio has a "gently used" box for outgrown things; perhaps you could start one at yours, or maybe another studio has one. There is also a church-run after-school activity center for urban kids which welcomes donations, especially if the donor is also willing to work with the kids -- do you know of any place like that where you are?

Guest balletguy33

Our studio has a "gently used" box for outgrown things; perhaps you could start one at yours, or maybe another studio has one. There is also a church-run after-school activity center for urban kids which welcomes donations, especially if the donor is also willing to work with the kids -- do you know of any place like that where you are?

that is a great idea

thedancingj

It's more like a half-shirt I guess but close enough... Cut out the crotch area (for your head) and cut off the feet/lower legs (for your arms). Stick your arms in the legs and your head through the no-longer-there crotch. Adjust as desired. Works like magic. Let me know what you think. :innocent: