Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

Regional Dance America Festivals 2006

Giraffedancer

Love2Dance90, I liked the piece your company did on the "Emerging Choreographers" night! I'm glad you liked Sunstream, also!

Love2Dance90

Thanks Giraffedancer! We performed Doves on emerging choreographer night, it was a lot of fun to dance! Hope you and your company had a good experience at MSRDA

Pointeyourfeet

GiraffeDancer- I think I remeber you as the one in George's class! I loved your peice and am glad you enjoyed ours! It was my first RDA and I am looking forward to many more!!!! I loved Judy Rice's class (we took her pointe) even thought it was first thing..... That was the most fun ever!!!!

Giraffedancer
GiraffeDancer- I think I remeber you as the one in George's class! I loved your peice and am glad you enjoyed ours! It was my first RDA and I am looking forward to many more!!!! I loved Judy Rice's class (we took her pointe) even thought it was first thing..... That was the most fun ever!!!!

The "lonely orphan dancer" at developpés? :wacko:

I'm glad you enjoyed festival!

Pointeyourfeet

yeah, I really liked how we did a lot of combinations without the barre at barre (if that makes since) You have a really amazing company Giraffe Dancer!

Guest dancinabbs

So, I just realized that I never commented on MSRDA this year. Oops! Anyways, I'm in giraffedancer's company. I thought this year was great! I liked the fact that the classes, theater and dorm were all in walking distance. The teachers they had this year were amazing. I really liked Kennet Oberly, George De La Pena, and Judy Rice, too of course. Oh, and the performances were great, too.

Hmm...I don't really have much more to add that hasn't already been said. And I'm really excited for nationals next year! It should turn out to be great. I was also pleasantly surprised to get a scholarship (sorry, but I couldn't resist bragging a little).

Anyways, I'm glad everyone had a good time!

thedancingj

Did anyone here go to RDA/NE (Northeast) last weekend? I'm just curious, since that is the one that I always used to go to... :P

FYBtara

Hey, I'm a new member and I also attended RDA-Midstates! We danced "Silent Heart" on Thursday night and "Signature" on the Gala...I fell too, hehe, but I'm not sure how many people noticed because it was a modern piece, I was headed for the floor next anyway, and I tried to make it look like a part of the choreography as much as I could. I agree, though, the floor was slippery and very hard as well.

I LOVED classes this year! Especially Mr. de la Pena's class. He seemed to focus a lot on balance, which is my strong point, so his class really suited me. Was anyone else in our class when the guy named Ethan fell and hurt his ribs? That was quite...suspenseful. He's in our company, and he had to go to the hospital but returned in time for the Gala that evening (with nothing broken, yay!)

I'm also incredibly excited for the Craft of Choreography Conference this year in Salt Lake City! I got the Craft scholarship, so I'll be going as a dancer. Is anybody else going to be there too, or has anyone attended it before? If so, please tell me what it's like :D

Giraffedancer

FYBtara, my company was in that class as well. I was very glad to hear that nothing was broken, although it was very suspensful, as you said.

Congratulations on the Craft scholarship!

GretchenStar

I went to the Craft of Choreography Conference 3 times. The general schedule goes something like this:

Class 1 (ballet or modern) - 9am to 10:30am

Class 2 (modern or ballet, whichever class you didn't have first) - 10:40am to 12:10pm

Lunch - 12:10pm to 1:30pm

Rehearsal - 1:30pm to 5pm

Dinner - 5pm to 6:30pm

Spacing - 6:30pm to 7pm

Showing - 7pm

I went a few years ago, so the schedule nowadays is probably slightly different (it depends on a few things, including how many dancers per choreographer there are, etc). One year, there were not enough dancers for each choreographer to have at least 3 or 4 dancers a piece, so we (the dancers) had to double up. Thus, rehearsal for Choreographer 1 would be from say 1:30pm to 3:15pm and then rehearsal for Choregrapher 2 would be from 3:15pm to 5pm. However, we would only perform 1 piece (Chor. 1's) and then the next day, we would rehearse Chor. 2's piece and a new choreographer's, but perform Chor. 2's piece. (I hope this makes sense).

Then another year, the director of choreography decided to have multi-day pieces (the general premise is to have the choreographers choreograph a new piece each day, and the dancers have to perform something new each night) but in this case, I was in a 1-day piece (performed it in the evening), a 2-day piece, a 3-day piece and a 4-day piece. It was disappointing for me because I only got to work with 3 choreographers (same choreographer for the 1 day piece as the 3 day piece).

It was a good experience because you (as a dancer) learn to pick up things quickly and also learn how to perform without a lot of rehearsal. Nobody expects everyone to perform flawlessly each night (after all, you only get 4 hours to rehearse and sometimes the style of dance is completely foreign, depending on what the choreographer decides to give you).

For choreographers, they take a technique class in the morning (either ballet or modern, their choice) and then they have a choreography session. They talk about using space, ideas, music, etc. The director of choreography and the director of music then give out assignments to the choreographers before lunch. The directors do try to challenge the choreographers - for example, one choreographer I worked with always had the whole piece planned out in her mind way ahead of time. So the directors waited until rehearsal started to give her the project (contact improv; she was more into classical ballet) and the music.

Another choreographer was given the assignment to choreograph a piece with the dancers not using any arm movements (we had to dance with our arms behind our backs for the entire piece). I remember doing a piece where we were football players (I forgot what the assignment was but it was a really cute and fun piece).

It was a good experience and I enjoyed it. Keep in mind, though (at least when I went), that the directors of choreography and music are more focused on working with the choreographers, not the dancers. So you may be assigned to the same choreographer more than once (I had one choreographer 3 times). It's not that the directors don't care about the dancers, but they just don't keep track - some dancers were bothered with this, but it's really not a big deal.

(Sorry this post was so long!)

FYBtara

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! I did get the impression that the experience was geared more toward the choreographers, which is fine with me, and it sounds like a good opportunity to get a taste of what professional dance is like (learning steps quickly, not much rehearsal time, nightly performances). Thanks again, and I'll be looking forward to my first RDA Craft of Choreography Conference :ermm: