Ballet Talk for Dancers
K123

Good leotards for tall people?

ami1436   
ami1436

Well, not only am I a bonafide shorty coming in at 5'1 (that 1 is so so so so important), but I also have an extremely short torso. This also makes leotard fitting difficult. Downright painful sometimes (and is why my recent aquisition looks horrid on me... blah).

BUT all this to say that I also have issues with plume leos - I think it's not just the length, but the way the back is cut. I haven't bought one myself, but had a beautiful one given to me as a gift. I love it (despite this next part) Length wise it is fine. Actually the entire fitting seems fine - is comfortable, not tight, not too big, etc... But when I first put it on, I was doing the leo under black tights. I put on the leo, put on the tights, and it took all of 20 seconds to realise that it was going to be very uncomfortable unless I had the tights on under the leo... yikes!

If you are looking for Sansha items in the UK, there are other suppliers this side of the Atlantic....

But overall, the selection of everything here just depresses me. There isn't much, and what there is always expensive as well. Especially when you are me and convert everything to dollars, or even worse, Rupees or so... SO depressing. I try to just order my stuff when I'm at home in the US. But I often can't help myself....

I like the ordering party idea.

I've not ordered any leos from dance choice but my v. tall friend has, and she really likes them! So... that might work?

Toadette   
Toadette

Oh boy, Bloch leotards...

So far the only dance shop I've found here in Sydney is Bloch, and I've given up finding anything there that isn't flesh revealing. I've never thought of it as a height problem, more a weight thing. (I'm about 5' 7). Their leotards either show all your back so you can't wear a bra, or your entire cleavage, and they all show my flabby arms in all their glory and are very high cut in the legs. The only leotard I have that I love is Freed, that I bought in England. So, I am waiting until I go back this summer to buy another one! It really shouldn't be so difficult to find a reasonably modest leotard.

koshka   
koshka

I'm not particularly tall (5'4", 160cm) but have a very long torso.

Capezios seem to work for me, as do Mirellas, especially anything that comes in the "medium-tall" size.

As for getting these things to and fro....dancewear is the idea type of product for transportation using your own international shopping network (ie, people you know who are travelling to and fro) in that it is small and not fragile, so can easily be transported.

k

Laschwen   
Laschwen

I just tried a Gilda Marx and couldn't even get it over my shoulders. I think the body was long enough but the straps were, once again, too short.

I also tried a Leo's leo and it got on nicely but looked like it didn't fit. It was an odd style with mesh inserts and the width of the chest seems too narrow. I will try that brand again.

Meanwhile I found some Balera leos on Dancewear Solutions.com and the size chart seems more generous than any others. They are not Talls but I wonder...

Anybody ever try a Balera for extra length?

Laschwen

hart   
hart

Laschwen,

The cami Gilda Marx I have has adjustable straps - it is the one with the ribbing.

I also have a Gilda Marx halter top leo which may work for you.

Guest marathongirl   
Guest marathongirl

I'm tall, 5'10" and I've found that I really the Danskin NYCB leotards - they seem to fit really well, they don't feel like they are pulling or too short. And some of them have adjustable straps. I agree with someone saying the tactel or meryl fabrics may work better (I definitely like them better than the cotton ones) I got mine onsale at Danskin's online store . . . but just checked, they only ship to U.S. Maybe you can buy them elsewhere . . . They seem longer and more comfortable then my Bloch leotards and are definintely longer than my Mirelle leotard.

Laschwen   
Laschwen
Laschwen,

The cami Gilda Marx I have has adjustable straps - it is the one with the ribbing.

I also have a Gilda Marx halter top leo which may work for you.

The Gilda Marx I got was the triple crossed thick strap one that was available in an XL. I was thinking the halter would be more likely to work too, but they didn't have an XL. I love adjustable strap cami styles.

Dropping one full dress size would straighten things right out for shopping for me anyway. More choices....

dianec   
dianec

As a short person with a long torso (ie short legs) I've found Gaynor Minden and Bloch leos most comfortable. I love it that almost everybody in this thread has a different configuration of height and proportion and shape! There's a lesson here for leotard makers....

Marjolein   
Marjolein

I'm not all that tall (5'7") but I have a very short torso. My favorite leotard is a Natalie one with criss cross back. I've had it for 3 years, so I really need to replace it. Unfortunately Natalie stuff is not sold in Belgium.

K123   
K123

"Capezios seem to work for me, as do Mirellas, especially anything that comes in the "medium-tall" size."

Hi Koshka, - do Mirella do a 'medium tall' or is that Capezio.

It's really true that there is a lesson in this thread for leotard makers! And also for all of us - just goes to show how many different body shapes can all learn and enjoy dancing.

[sorry - don't seem to have worked out how to do the quote thing - that first line was meant to be a quote]

Edited by K123

Laschwen   
Laschwen

I don't know about getting them in the UK but I just got another So Danca cotton blend leo yesterday. I think anyone tall (up to 6 footers easy) or long in the torso would be happy in one of these. They just feel good.

Mine is snug but holds me in and covers everything I need it to.

I am going to change the wide set shoulder straps to a halter for comfort and security. I don't know how those straps stay up on the girls I see wearing this style with the wide set straps. My shoulders are pretty square but they don't hold the things in place and they are just a little tight. I always seem to have trouble with straps being short or tight.

Converting this one seems to be the best plan for me so far.

Meanwhile I ordered two Long Torso bathing suits. If they are not too heavy to consider sweating in and they fit well, it will be a good solution.

Good luck all,

Laschwen

Laschwen   
Laschwen

O.K. My reviews are in on the Lands End long torso bathing suits for use as leotards.

I think it is going to work.

The fit is excellent and matches the size charts nicely.

They are not too heavy or thick. The cuts I ordered look like leotards.

The only thing I found wierd is the shelf bra with removable cups. This thing has pocket like things with a floating thin cup. I guess you are supposed to be able to place them where you want. I don't see that happening very well. I just removed them. The shelf lining was more than enough added material for me. Actually I would be fine with a plain lining. They has bra styles that offer more support for those who need it too.

Overall, if you can get into a Tall Capezio or Body wrappers Tall, stick with that. It is much cheaper that way and you can get the cotton blends if you want.

Good luck all.

Laschwen

shulie   
shulie

I am medium height at barely 5'5" but I got the Capezio ABT series leo with the rhinestone criss cross spaghetti straps once as a gift and it was much too long for me I could not wear it.

It must be a great leo for tall dancers!

I guess the whole ABT line in microfiber is cut that way.

http://www.barryscapezio.com/barrys/produc...AAAAGPNCGFLDCN&

Marjolein   
Marjolein

Shulie, I have that same leotard. It's also way too long for me. On the other hand I have a sheer stripe Bloch leo that is much too short. So I'm not sure whether I have a long or short torso. Most people say I am all legs, so I guess it's rather short.

shulie   
shulie

Ballet gear has extremely weird sizing!!!