Ballet Talk for Dancers

lbanitt

To keep the resume to one page your dancer should focus more on training, performance opportunities, and intensives rather than awards.  Perhaps a sentence about "many first place awards at regional and national competitions" or something to that effect.

lizzyhults1

We got everything sent in last month for our DD and are waiting semi patiently. Good luck to everyone who has applied 

dancingSJ

lizzyhults1:  same to you and thanks for sending good wishes around.  the waiting is very difficult and a comfort to know we have support here.

cmalltheway

Did anyone get stuck in the system crash? Glad they extended it through yesterday for them. 

As of November 11, Anne Aubert-Santelli, Director of Admission & Student Services at USC Kaufman, mentioned she only received less than 30 applications but anticipate close to 600 by deadline. 

Kudos to everyone on getting apps in on time. Now we hope and wait for the invite to auditions! Good luck, everyone!

Edited by cmalltheway
clarify source of information

lizzyhults1

You must know someone in the program :) I just looked and my DD’s was sent November 16

lizzyhults1

So we saw online that it said no more than 60 seconds each piece and i just clicked on an email with a checklist that says 1.5 minutes. We did exactly 60 seconds. Hopefully that is correct. She cut the variation short due to the 60 second time constraint. 

dancingSJ

lizzyhurts1:  the school sent out the wrong checklist with that email - I think it was the one from last year.  My DD noticed that not only is the duration is different - the topics for the short answer and the video response are different too.  We were wondering if someone had followed the checklist and what would happen - I suppose the school still has to accept everything since they are the one who sent out the wrong checklist. 

So the 60 second is the guideline this year but I suppose they have to accept even if someone sent in 1.5 minutes.

cmalltheway

Hi lizzyhults1, we attended USC's Open House and Master Classes on campus on 11/11. While attending various Q&A and Parent-to-Parent sessions, that's where I got the above information. Any other parent/student attended that day?

Good job on getting your DD's application in early! My DS's app was submitted end of previous weekend. Hew! 

As for the video length, it was listed as 1.5 minutes in the previous year but I'm pretty sure 1 minute is the current requirement. I think that was mentioned by Anne when we saw her in November as well. 

From our visit, here's what we found out:

* With the 4 audition dates, they hope to invite 120-150 students - with about 25 per audition. They have an overflow date prepared. Last year they received 470 apps, 150 auditioned, 34 admitted with a small wait list. At the end 24 are in the current Class of 2021.

* For auditions, no cuts, each student will have a name tag and will be greeted by name. They are not expected to be fantastic in all styles of dance. Solo can be any piece they choose, up to 3 minutes.

* Generally USC acceptance rate is about 16% but Kaufman is about 7%! (Yikes!)

There's more but perhaps others can chime in on what they know.

lizzyhults1

That is great information. We visited in August and they were not able to be that specific. The acceptance to USC is worrisome alone. Our DD is very realistic that it is a long shot all the way around. 

dancingSJ

I went to their admission event in Oct. in NYC - the 7% number is very generous because they did say that going forward they will balance the class with half boy and half girl.

Last year the class they ended up with is 12/12 boy/girl and at our event, Vice Dean Gate said that is what they are going for - half boy/half girl.

So no one asked but it goes without saying that with 480 applicants last year - most of them would be girls - and so the %acceptance for girls would actually be much much lower than 7%.  I honestly would be surprised if they had more than 80 boys auditioning - I may be wrong. 

Don't want to be Eeyore here - but also want to be realistic and set the right expectation for myself and DD.

cmalltheway

Thanks for sharing the insight, dancingSJ. (I wonder if you are in the Bay Area and if our paths have crossed in the past.)

College application process is already challenging as it is. Dance is even tougher, not to mention each program is so different and each student is looking for different focuses. 

As other parents with college students said before, we are praying that our kids will get in the the right programs best fit for them. Good thing there isn't just ONE perfect school out there. We will keep cheering our kids on to pursue their passion and dreams no matter where they end up!

dancingSJ

cmalltheway - ditto everything you said - the process has been so challenging I told my DD it is a triumph just to be able to complete the process.  it is a relief that for dancing program, we have to submit our apps early and so we are pretty much done - now just have to do the auditions.

we are from the Bay Area - dance world is very small - I am sure I have crossed path with you.  Sometimes I find it hard to explain to my non-dance friends how I come to know all these dance parents from all over. :)

cmalltheway

We have a couple of apps left as DS's "reach" and some non-dance schools. Partially in the waiting game to see if we get the audition invitation as it will determine some family plans over Christmas break! It is tricky to explain that to a friend earlier today during our walk. 

Mid December is when Kaufman will be sending out audition invitations, right? Keeping our fingers crossed for everyone here! :wink:

Lady Elle

I was asking my dd the other day " will they let you know either way with the invitation to audition". Her response... "Mom, yes, that would be a rejection letter" 😑  This is all just a lot.  

dancingSJ

So true - :(

If not invited to audition - I think - I hope - the letter will say your application will be passed to the normal application process to be considered for the 2nd major, etc.

some part of me thinks may be still good if get in USC and can do a dance minor. But I am sure that is not what my DD wants.

At our event, the admission people also said something about they have not accepted any transfers (there were transfer applicants) because so far they have no one drop-out from their dance program.