Ballet Talk for Dancers
pointe_bk

UK dance colleges

pointe_bk

heya, i've tried many searches for this and they've not particularly worked. could you help me?

basically, i want to go to dance college but want to get A-levels too, just in case, do you know of any dance colleges in the UK that offer both?

it would be much appreciated.

im looking for somewhere ages 16+, so far the only college i have found is Arts Educational in Tring. do you think this would be a good college to apply for?

thank you

xx

Dance_Scholar_London

There is also Central School of Ballet, English National Ballet School, Royal Ballet School and London Studio Centre.

ENBS and RBS offer the possibility to get A-levels, CSB has a BA (validated by university of Kent), LSC offers a Foundation degree in Art for 16+ (+1 year top up to BA if you want). Northern School of Contemporary Dance has also a foundation...

Redbookish

And don't forget Elmhurst, which offers as pretty full post GCSE curriculum. Fantastic facilities. Have a look at their website.

pointe_bk

thank you very much! i will check these out!

xx

stitcher

CSB offer A levels in the first 2 years in addition to the degree studies

giselleforlife

I'm sorry if this isn't the right thread to attach my question to, so please move if necessary.

I am currently a Junior (in the US) but am really interested in applying to colleges in the UK (that offer dance as well as other majors). I started searching a bit but am VERY overwhelmed (and glad I started looking now and not next september). Does anyone have any experience applying to Universities in England from the US? I'm assuming the UK has its own standardized testing one must pass, as well as a whole list of other criteria. As I continue searching I am sure I will start to understand the application systems etc. but for now any information would be great to help me decide whether this is an outrageous idea, or whether it is a possiblity. Thanks!

Poppy

Hi Giselleforlife,

All University (college over here is slightly different than in the US!) applications here are processed through an organization called UCAS. Here is their website for you to look through which should give you some information to get started: http://www.ucas.com/

At the top of the page click on students. On the next page click on International Students.

It is quite expensive, as an international student, to go to University here, especially since the dollar/sterling exchange rate is not favorable to the US. :thumbsup: When looking at any fee listed in sterling, double that number and that is approximately the current cost in dollars . Along with the University fees you will need to have a student visa. I am not sure what the going rate is for those but other types of Visa can run between $200-1000 depending on what you need.

Cost of living can vary dramatically depending on where you live. Not all Universities have on campus housing beyond the first year. Generally, the cost of housing is higher the closer you are to London.

That all said, I am an American who had lived over here for more years than I care to count. I really love it here, exchange rate and all!!!

Good luck with your search. :D

giselleforlife

Thank you so much Poppy! That page about the UCAS is very helpful, now I just need to discuss the money issue with my parents :yes:

Dance_Scholar_London

Are you looking for a performance-orientated program (in a conservatory institution that offers a degree), or for a dance programm in general (which might not necessarily will produce dancer at professional-level)?

boybluetights
heya, i've tried many searches for this and they've not particularly worked. could you help me?

basically, i want to go to dance college but want to get A-levels too, just in case, do you know of any dance colleges in the UK that offer both?

it would be much appreciated.

im looking for somewhere ages 16+, so far the only college i have found is Arts Educational in Tring. do you think this would be a good college to apply for?

thank you

xx

If you have time this March 16-18, MOVE IT and you've never been to this exhibition, you will enjoy it. Check here for a list of exhibitors which will include dance schools Exhibitors

giselleforlife

Dance_Scholar_London,

Ideally I would like a school that could offer both professional level dancing (Performing would be nice, but I suppose not neccesary if it's rediculously unheard of) as well as a way to major in another area. Is this even possible?

Hamorah

Surrey University has several dance degrees and as it's a normal university you might be able to combine. I honestly don't know, but check out University of Surrey - this is a link to their academic departments http://portal.surrey.ac.uk/portal/page?_pa...&_schema=PORTAL

Dance_Scholar_London

Giselle, you probably will have to decide for one or the other. The difference in programs are large and it is unlikely to combine different subjects. In a conservatoire environment, it will not be possible at all, as you have a full schedule that allows little room for other activities. Some university programs offer degree in dance in combination with arts managment (or other related subject), but this would then be one degree (with a reduced dance load) rather than two majors. What kind of dance are you looking for? Only ballet (which will reduce the choice to a very few selected schools), or contemporary/modern-orientated programs? Or jazz?

balletbooster

Are there really no universities in England that offer a serious ballet student the opportunity to train and study academics at the same time, with some prospects for dancing professionally afterwards? In looking at the sites that folks have posted here, I do not see any schools that either boast alumnus who are pro ballet dancers or even any schools that offer a serious ballet curriculum. Are these attributes reserved only for the vocational schools in England?