Ballet Talk for Dancers
balletbeauty05

PMing, who we are allowed to send to

balletbeauty05

Hi, I was wondering if it would be appropiate or ok to PM Victoria Leigh or Mel Johnson if we had a question relating to ballet, but were worried about spreading rumors about people, or were worried if a person in question were a ballettalker. I need some advice about a friend, but don't want to make it a public issue.

Thanks

Mel Johnson

Sure, you can write to us, but remember, we may not have any better grasp of the situation than any other third party. :wallbash:

balletbeauty05

Thank you so much!

Clara101

What exactly is PMing and how do you do it?

Clara101

Thanks so much!

Victoria Leigh

Please remember, however, that the PM privilege is not to "chat" online. Please do use it unless there is a valid reason for it. And as far as PM'img me, if the question is one that absolutely cannot be handled on the board, I will consider it. However, I HATE PM's, and I will not use them to teach privately on Ballet Talk. The purpose of the board is to provide the format for questions and answers, and discussion of ballet. If it is something that cannot be talked about in public, it's probably something I can't, or won't, talk about either!

California Dancer

I recently got the privilege of PMing! I sent my first one to someone today and I wasn't sure if they recieved it because when I'm in my control panel and click on the message tracker it doesn't say anyone has recieved or hasnt recieved my message :shrug: I'm confused and was wondering if there is a way to check if someone recived your PM :thumbsup:

Mel Johnson

If you've selected tracking, and your recipient has received AND READ your message, then that will show up. If they've not read it, it won't show up.

DancinFeet

how many posts do you have to add to be able to PM? I have written twenty posts, and have been on this board for over a week...but I still can't PM.

Mel Johnson

Sorry, but it's 30 posts and two weeks. Our sister board, Ballet Talk, which is primarily for audiences, makes it 10, but because we have a large student population, we want to make sure that the people we have onboard are really who they say they are. There are some real sickos out there, and we usually catch them before two weeks is out. It's for your protection.

DancinFeet

ohhhh....okay! well, I'm sure I won't have any problem writing 30 comments...and I think I have been a member for two weeks. :)

Mel Johnson

Now, don't make a run on 30 posts. Just make replies naturally. When we see "runs" being made, we mentally add the instubstantial posts to the thirty total, and delay that much more. So, "attagirl" and "I think so too" won't help. Ms. Leigh and I change your membership group manually, and you have to ask to be put into the Teens group.

DancinFeet

I know....I wasn't going to make random posts just to get to thirty...I was just saying it's ok that it's not 10 posts to become a full member, because it's not hard for me to write posts! :)

Victoria Leigh

Another reminder....the PM function is not for chatting with friends. It is to contact other members about ballet related topics. Overuse of PM privilege will result in no privilege. :)