Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pasdedeux

Videos for university application

jsn   
jsn

Great input 2dd's! Thanks for taking the time to share so much! The deadlines are important because I believe the colleges want input from the dance departments before they assess the rest of the applicants information.

I would love to know where both Pictures and 2DD's daughters finally went to college, if you don't mind sharing. Again, thanks for all the help!

Taradriver   
Taradriver

Just want to second the fact that not all schools want DVD's or videos. Most require an audition in person. Some require a solo of a specified length, to be done after the audition. Only one of the schools dd is applying to requires a DVD or video, and this has very specific instructions on the length and content.

For the schools that don't request a DVD, is it better to just send one along, in hopes it adds to the application or is it better NOT to send one, to show that you know how to follow directions? Conundrum here.

As for going with the best academics and taking dance outside the university, DD has decided to apply to colleges with a good dance dept. and to colleges near a good pre-pro school. In some cases, these are not mutually exclusive.

charlotte1755   
charlotte1755

I have noticed some colleges want VHS format - why not just DVD's? Actually 4 of the schools my daughter is applying to wants that format. If you are sending in a tape to a school that does not have dance at all, but just to show the student has a passion, what is the best way to send it. The college applications are online so it can not go along with the application? Hopefully they get the tape and application together??

Hans   
Hans

Taradriver, it might be best to contact the college and ask whether it's ok to send a DVD along with the application.

charlotte1755, I would send a DVD/VHS tape via mail, unless you are very tech-savvy and want to try e-mailing the digital file. If sending via mail, I would just mark it very clearly with the student's name, &c. and perhaps include a very brief note explaining its purpose.

jsn   
jsn

I actually asked a college, Duke, why they requested a VHS tape rather than a DVD. It actually goes back to what MOMOF3DARLINGS said about the DVDs not working in everybody's player. They said the people sometimes had problems with the DVDs. That said, I noticed on this year's application that Duke is accepting both. I think the colleges are having a hard time keeping up with technology and we all know the arts don't have alot of money to keep changing their equipment at the rate that technology is changing.

Risballerina   
Risballerina

I'm in the process to applying to several dance programs in college, and all with the exception of two require an audition. I'll be attending 3 live auditions but the rest will be video auditions since I can't go to the college to audition. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on making a college audition video. Can I use my phone to record it? I was going to ask some of the kids in Telecommunications at my highschool if they could help me film with a tripod and flip camera but we'll have to see if they'll have the time to do it (I imagine it'll take a while to get the best takes etc.).

For editing, will I be able to just use the film editor on an Acer computer? Is it hard to make a DVD? Any experience/tips are welcome. Also, for videos that don't give a requirement for the way it should be shot (from a side view, a front view), which is the best?

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

Well, many colleges specify exactly what they want in a video audition so that is really helpful. Getting some help from other kids in video classes is a great idea. I think most of the video's are submitted electronically rather than a physical dvd. Either through an application website or email. You'll be able to find all of that info on the college website.

newtothis   
newtothis

DD is submitting a dance video to colleges where she will focus primarily on academics (pre-med) but continue serious dance as an extracurricular.  Her colleges want a download via Slideroom.  We are at a loss as to how to weave together excerpts of performance video with new video of a class, as many schools want.  Do we need a professional videographer to video the class and/or splice everything together?  

BalletFamily   
BalletFamily

If you have a Mac or an iPad, iMovie does this fairly easily.  If you have a PC or Android, I'm sure there are apps that are very similar.  While I'm not familiar with Slideroom, I assume what you're looking for is a single file that is one video with everything that you can upload.  I would recommend you borrow a tripod (sometimes you can get one for $5 at a thrift store) to put the camera on and just use an inexpensive camera with video, or a smartphone.  You can film it yourself.  Do a test run first.

cmalltheway   
cmalltheway

newtothis, be sure to read carefully on the requirements of video submissions. Some want a few videos of certain length each and they might want an entire piece without cuts. For those, we plan to use footage from either performances or competitions. Some schools want a collaborative video that includes various styles and excerpts. For those, I believe BalletFamily is right that there are stitching programs that can help you put it together. Might be worth while playing around before paying someone to do it.

Edited by dancemaven
Added appropriate capitalization per BT4D Rules and Policies. :)