Ballet Talk for Dancers
Treefrog

RDA National Festival

Guest kathy1856
Welcome to BT4D, kathy1856!

Can you give us some details about the venues? Where will classes be held besides the hotels? How will dancers get to classes at venues outside the hotels (and how far away are these)?

They're all within walking distance... venues are classrooms at Point Park College, a performing arts high school, and the Convention Center. It is estimated that at least 1600 people will be attending... so I'm sure Pittsburgh will be jumping!!

ballerine177

I'm going to RDA National Festival! I'm so excited! It's going to be so much fun! A parent from my studio went to go visit the hotel and everything and she said it was awesome! I can't wait!

balletbaby14

I went to the Midstates Festival last year and I'm going this year to the National one in Pittsburg! =]I'm so excited!

ballerine177

I went to the Southeast festival the last two years. Nationals only comes once evey seven years I believe, so I'm super excited! Does anyone know how many days it is?

AmaG520

I'll be going to National Festival this year with my company. We are from the Pacific Region!

Temps de cuisse

The RDA National Festival will last for 5 days, beginning Tuesday April 24 and finishing up with the Gala performance on Saturday April 28th. Most companies will be traveling to Pittsburgh on Monday the 23rd and leave on Sunday the 29th. All dancers will be getting 3 classes/seminars a day except the day they perform (then they have just one along with their tech/stage rehearsal). Early numbers show that there are going to be over 1600 dancers in attendance! One performance will be held each night with 17-18 companies each and the best of the best on the Saturday night Gala.

It will be the place to be in 2007!

ballerine177

I can't wait to go! What types of classes are there going to be? Two years ago there was african and character in addition to the normal ones (jazz, ballet, modern). But last year it was only jazz, ballet, modern, and I think pilates.

twinkltoze

Does anyone have a problem with missing school for the whole week?

Treefrog

Yup. The parents at our studio were so unenthusiastic about kids missing an entire week of school that our company is not going.

Momof3darlings

I think at our former company only 4-5 of the performing students will attend due to the length of the week. Schools are just not forgiving anymore of long term absenses. It's sad that people abused that priviledge so much that the "unforgiving stance" had to be taken most places but alas it has.

Treefrog

Whether or not the schools allow the absence, there's just an insane amount of work that the kids miss. It's really not practical to make up an entire week's worth of classes AND homework. You can't do it while at Festival, and you can't do it while doing your regular work when you return.

Momof3darlings

That's what I meant by "forgiving". It is one thing to allow the absense and another to give two class days to make up all the work when you return. A forgiving attitude would allow more time for makeup work when the approved absense is given in the first place. But we digress................

twinkltoze

And how about the hours of rehearsal time. This is really crazy...............

Spiritfire

You know this is why I love this board.. Our family was just talking about missing a week of schoo! This is a week before SAT"s and 2 weeks before AP exams start.

What part of "YOUTH" don't people get?! Youth are suppose to be in school!

Temps de cuisse

When my company first joined RDA, back in 1986 (when it was NARB), I personally went to the school board for the HS and plead the case for my dancers attending festival each year and having the absences be excused. I used the example of a variety of school related trips (choirs taking a week to attend competition, DECA visiting NYC for a week) as ammunition. I explained that although they had "dance" class at the school, it was insufficient for my dancers due to their intensive training. And that the school could never offer what these dancers needed. Festival was a once a year (and Nationals once in a lifetime) opportunity to expose these students to something the school could not offer.

They saw the "light" and being excused is the norm now for this activity.

Consequently, my dancers do not have problems with their schools with missing a week. But, they also make every effort to get work assigned or done ahead of time; some teachers even give a small project (like keeping a journal during the trip) in lieu of work.

It is too bad that some (teachers, schools and parents) do not understand the education of a child is not just academics!