WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

138 posts in this topic

You could try California DanceArts near Glendale.

Very good programs.

Edited by DanceArts

I talked to the father today and suggested that he might look into what the parks/rec programs have to offer and/or wait.  He agreed, saying that most of the studios he looked up only had classes for kids ages 5 1/2 and up.  He mentioned that they might be taking some class which incorporates tumbling and movement (that costs $80 a month for 1 class a week). 

My mom put me into tumbling when I was 3 or 4 years old because I wouldn't sit still. I would roll around the floor and try things myself, so I think she figured it was safer that I do it with supervision. =)

There was an ice rink just down the street, and at nearly 6 I wanted to try that. So for the next four years I was a figure skater forced to take ballet to help my form. =/ I lost interest at 10, and took up gymnastics and then some jazz. Go figure, they made me take ballet again. I think my mom figured my interest in any athletic recreation would be good for me in the long run, and never forced me to take as many ballet classes as some recreations wanted. I think it ended up working out better in the long run, it let me find my own love of dancing. I fell in love with it when I was just about 12. Alittle late to really start training, but by pure chance we ended up at a great studio in Los Angeles.

It's a bit away from downtown though, in the South Bay, run by Diane Lauridsen. =)

Does anybody know of any ballet schools in Los Angeles or the San Fernando Valley area? I only know of the Westside Ballet In Santa Monica...

ABCBalletgurl, Welcome! I have merged your post with a pre-existing one regarding L.A. ballet schools. Please take some time to peruse the thread. Happy hunting!

Does anybody know of any ballet schools in Los Angeles or the San Fernando Valley area? I only know of the Westside Ballet In Santa Monica...

(San Fernando Valley)

Los Angeles Ballet Academy

Roseanne Zimmermans

Performing Arts Center

(Los Angeles)

Dance Arts

Yuri Grigoriev school of Russian Ballet

Westside Academy

Angel City Ballet

There are lots mentioned on this thread though so you should look through. But LA is such a huge area you might need to narrow your search down your area. Maybe if you could be more specific about what type of studio you are looking for and where you live in LA.

Here are a few more...

Center Stage Dance in Studio City

Hama in Studio City

Anna Chelsekas also in Studio City. My dd frequently takes class here when her home studo is closed for a break or holiday weekend.

Burbank School of Dance in Burbank

Good Luck!

hushinfazen

i live in a Suberb a little outside the valley, santa monica is about 30 minuetes away, the valley can be about 20 because of traffic. I am currently at a VERY small studio in Thousand Oaks. My father works and (commutes) to Burbank, so we were thinking of moving.. so anything in the Valley area, Santa Monica, Malibu, Calabasas, would probably work out.

I think you have a pretty good list some good schools have been mentioned they all seem to be in the area you are looking for. You should start looking at their websites, and visiting to see what might work for you.

HI, The Long Beach Ballet is worth checking out, too. It's right off of the 405Fwy on the west side of town. They have a Summer Intensive that you could look into also.

California Dance Theater in Agoura should be pretty close to you.

I'm going home for winter break for about a month and definitely need to keep dancing.

I usually go to Le Studio in Pasadena or Pasadena Dance Theater for their adult classes, but I was wondering if there were any more good options for advanced adult ballet classes in that area (Alhambra, Glendale, Arcadia, etc). I might be able to drive down to a place like Westside Ballet once or twice a week, but with the way traffic is in LA, it would take me about an hour to get there. I don't mind driving an hour, but that's a lot of gas/smog for one person to emit daily. We all know it's already pretty bad down there as is. =P

So other closer options would be nice! I've been taking adult class at Lines Ballet (up in SF) lately, which has been wonderful- such good training makes me want to find the best I can down in Socal too while I'm there!

Dance Arts Academy is in Los Angeles, but not as far away for you as Westside, which is in Santa Monica. They have really good adult ballet classes, taught by Marat Daukayev and Reid Olsen, and modern with Karen McDonald. Here is their schedule, but call to confirm times.

Marat Daukayev is now in Washington DC at the Universal Ballet Academy (aka) Kirov academy.

Yes, but Marat is bi-coastal these days! He will be home in Los Angeles during the winter break and teaching adult classes at Dance Arts, as he did during the Thanksgiving weekend, as well as playing Drosselmeyer in all 4 performances of his school's Nutcracker last weekend. The man simply doesn't sleep! :(

That sounds great- I'll try to check out DanceArts when I can. Unfortunately it's only about 6 minutes closer than Westside Ballet for me, which helps, but the google map thing said that it could still take up to 1 hour and a half in traffic. =\ Oh LA...

On a side note- do any schools in LA offer adult advanced pointe classes? I guess I'm spoiled by Berkeley Ballet Theater, which does offer one (and it's great!).