Ballet Talk for Dancers
WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

antbobby

Just made a discovery in Pasadena Area: Adult Beginner Class :yucky:

Adult Beginners - Pasadena Dance Theatre has added a Beginning Adult class at 9:30 Saturday a.m. there is a big demand for this!

I used to go to the open classes (yowza) and learned alot - but really intimidating if you know nothing to little.

This class, taught currently by "Iris" is a gem. It is actually pretty tough as a beginning class, but you can at least follow it. Iris is good and stops to help. We even had a pianist - rated the big room! Speaks for the number of attendees interested in starting up.

I returned to get myself back in shape so I can move back to the "OMG" open classes which move to fast for me at the moment.

deafcat

My daughter spent nine years at the Lauridsen Ballet Centre in Torrance (the beach cities, south of LA). It's easy to get to on the freeway. It's not as big as some of the the westside schools, and Diane Lauridsen has developed her own curriculum, but the success of her dancers and the very low injury rate says a lot about her program. Charles Maple taught for her forever before he opened the Maple Conservatory, and Colleen O'Callaghan is still on her staff. Even the accompanists are world class. The performance company (South Bay Ballet) is RDA affiliated. Even after moving to central California we still took our daughter down for classes once a month because she missed it so much.

Agnes1022

Any recommendations in the area of Long Beach near Carson, and also in the vicinity of City of Carson?

hushinfazen

Agnes,

Lauridsen in Torrance is right next door to Carson. Worth the extra 10 min.

hushinfazen

Dance with all your heart

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles who is very interested in starting dance because she wishes to pursue a career in musical theatre. She is a teenager and would like to find a studio that offers beginning classes for teens so she won't feel like she's dancing with lots of girls who are younger than her. She's interested not only in ballet but also in tap and jazz classes. Does anyone know of any good studios in the area near Playa Del Rey or Westwood that offers beginning classes in tap, jazz, and ballet for teens?

Edited by Dance with all your heart

pavlova

Try Debbie Allen Dance Academy in Culver City. They offer open classes in many styles, including ballet, jazz, modern, tap and African. Here is their website.

The teachers are all top notch.

Pointe1432
Agnes,

Lauridsen in Torrance is right next door to Carson. Worth the extra 10 min.

hushinfazen

I second that comment. It is absolutely worth the drive. :angry2:

dancinginthesnow

Can anyone recommend any studios with open classes Aug 18-28 around La Puente?

Dance with all your heart
Try Debbie Allen Dance Academy in Culver City. They offer open classes in many styles, including ballet, jazz, modern, tap and African. Here is their website.

The teachers are all top notch.

thanks! I've heard of this studio, but didn't realize it was in that area! I'd love to take classes there myself! :D but anyways, my friend checked out the website and is going to check out the studio when she gets home!

Royal Ballerina

I know this thread is old but just to bring it up again Lauridsen Ballet Centre is most definetly worth any drive. The training is amazing!

lpnlotus

I would really check ou the westside ballet. Mt daughter went there for an audition and I watched what was going on and It was a very nice school. When we looked for a new school we went to several and took placement classes. You will get a good idea by watching and then asking your dancer what they think. Good Luck

soccer22dancer

Any suggestions for Thousand Oaks/ Ventura area? I am 13 if that helps (:

ballerinepetite

Does anyone know of any schools in L.A that would be easily accessible through public transit? (Metrolink, etc...) I know that the Colburn Institute would be, but that's about it.

GretchenStar

I'm assuming you are asking about downtown Los Angeles (closer to Union Station), rather than over near the San Fernando Valley? Colburn Institute is probably the easiest to get to by public transportation - on their website, they mention the Metro (MTA) Red Line station "Pershing Square" but actually "Civic Center" station is closer.

I did a quick search online and found two studios that are near Wilshire Blvd (and thus somewhat accessible by public transportation) - City Ballet of Los Angeles (http://www.cityballetofla.org) and Marat Daukayev School of Ballet (http://www.maratdaukayev.com). MD is on Wilshire Blvd which is served by Metro bus lines 20 and 720. City Ballet of LA is south of Wilshire so you would have to take another bus to get there.

Not familiar with studios east of downtown L.A.... I don't think there are too many.

There is a studio in Pasadena (Pasadena Dance Theatre) which is near the Metro Gold Line. The Gold Line starts at Union Station, which is a transfer point for the Metrolink. Pasadena Dance Theatre used to be a member of RDA/P (very good pre-pro company, if I recall), but I think they dropped out of the organization a few years ago.

Toitoi43

In looking for a new ballet studio for my DD, we have come across Palos Verdes School of Ballet. Does anyone have any information on them? They have been around for 30 years but I am not able to find any information about them. Would love to get any information. Thanks!