Ballet Talk for Dancers
WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

LoveMyJob

We just attended a gala presented by them this weekend. They had invited guests from 3 area schools--Marat Daukayev, Dmitri Kulev Classical Ballet, and Southland Ballet Academy. It is my understanding from our friends who invited us that this school just got a new director Roberto Almgauer he is in the process of changing the overall direction of the school. He is a wonderful teacher and studied with the Father of Cuban Ballet. It is my understanding that the advanced dancers are currently taking classes only 3 days per week. I am not sure if this meets your dd's needs or not.

ddm3

There is a Peninsula School of Performing Arts and Palos Verdes School of Ballet. The two are different.

Toitoi43

Yes, DDM3 is correct, I am looking at Palos Verdes Ballet versus the Peninsula School of Performing Arts.

JosephineM

Does anyone have information on Westside Ballet School or Los Angeles Ballet School? I looked on the Pre-Professional thread and neither of these schools were listed there. I was under the impression they are pre-pro schools. At least Los Angeles Ballet has a company. I did see information on the Trainee/Apprentice thread for the company, but nothing about the school. Thank you.

pinetree

If you contact The Dance Store on Robertson Blvd, they have a pretty extensive printed list of ballet and dance schools in the Greater Los Angeles Area. They might even give you a couple of specific recommendations based on things you are looking for like Balanchine vs. Vaganova, etc. You might ask for the owner or one of the ladies who fits pointe shoes for their thoughts.

cakers

South Bay Ballet in Torrance would be worth looking into.

flyingpersimmon

Just wanted to inform you all that the Colbun School, in Los Angeles is in the process of starting a new advanced ballet dance program in September 2014. They will have an audition for the 12 slots on May 25, 2014. This is a new program with some big names associated with it. Jenifer Ringer (recent former Principal Dancer for NYCB) is the Director, James Fayette (Managing Director of LA Dance Project and former Principal Dancer for NYCB) is Assistant Director, and Benjamin Millepied (Founding Director of LA Dance Project, and incoming director of the Paris Opera Ballet, will serve as the new program's primary Artistic Advisor. Please visit colburnschool.edu for more information.

flyingpersimmon

Moderators, not sure if I posted that properly, please forgive my naivety as I am still somewhat new at this.

flyingpersimmon

There is a new posting of audition dates on their website for the Colburn Dance Academy. There are auditions in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York.

flyingpersimmon

I just received an email from Colburn. They are launching a full website within Colburn's tomorrow morning.

JosephineM

Thank you for sharing this information. I'd be very interested in hearing how things are going this first year.

JosephineM

Los Angeles Ballet School: Does anyone have experience with this school? My DD is age 15 and we may be moving. We are looking only at "Balanchine" style schools. Thank you.

JosephineM

Does anyone have any information on this school?

pavlova

The school at LAB isn't a primary focus, and so I wouldn't recommend it as a pre professional school. Westside Ballet in Santa Monica is Balanchine style training. The Colburn Ballet Academy, in downtown Los Angeles, is Balanchine style, too.

Lady Elle

I am pretty sure Los Angeles Ballet (company anyway) is Balanchine centric.