Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Redbookish

Too Much Information!

Redbookish   
Redbookish

While the camaraderie and sharing here is wonderful, and we all benefit and learn from it, can I remind everyone that most of this message board is publicly accessible?

It's estimated that on message boards generally, there can be up to 10 'lurkers' for every active poster! So please think about how happy you are for information or feelings you post here to be known to anyone and everyone, including the person who may stand next to you at the barre every Wednesday night, or the teacher whose corrections drive you crazy!

Some recent experiences have moved me to remind people of Alexandra's advice in the 'About this site' forum

Registration policies: user names, email addresses

Some of us have met each other - I know I've made some lovely 'real life' friends via UK BT4D meets, but we also need to be aware that we may want to protect our privacy.

We might also want to note Dancemaven's Sticky in the Parents & Teachers forum (I know not all of us are members of that) about when we recognise other posters:

This is one of those instances where it will behoove all of us to remember the 'social fiction' of the anonymity here on BT4D. Most folks here strive to maintain some disconnect with the 'real world' identity so that they can ask their more sensitive questions without worrying about being 'outed' or causing others to be either uncomfortable or defensive.

However, for those of us who are active for any real length of time on this Board, no matter how circumspect or careful we are, we inevitably leave footprints, bread crumbs, and clues as to our locations and/or associations. Some of us are more adept at putting together the pieces of these little puzzles and sometimes the whole picture just falls into our laps.

So, the question becomes how do we each individually handle this slip of the veil? I would suggest that we politely continue the fiction of anonymity and don't refer to the inadvertant exposure, don't comment or call attention to the 'clues' that swirled into view, and let those 'clues' swirl back underwater without catching them and laying them out for all to see.

It is something like politely looking the other way when something embarassing momentarily peaks out from the bottom of our skirt, our sleeve, or our person--like spinach in the teeth when there is simply no way our friend can discreetly remove it at the time we notice it.

A couple of times I have contacted posters to suggest they might be giving out information they wouldn't be happy their real life fellow students, teachers, or friends and family knowing about. This is a general reminder, not directed at anyone in particular, but just advice about, as Alexandra says, politeness and responsibility:

It may be useful to think of this board as a theater lobby, where you can't be sure if the person next to you is the mother of the dancer you're skewering, or if the dancer may be out of eyeshot, but not out of earshot. A good guideline is don't post anything about a person that you would regret if you were stuck in an elevator the next day with that person.