Ballet Talk for Dancers
Vision

Academic issues- academic options?

tsavoie

From an entirely different perspective..... We have/are homeschoolers of 5 children. We did it because I personally believe that I am able to offer a superior education to that of my local public school system. The fact that dancing grew exponentially wsa a side issue for us. My oldest son will be a senior at a private college-graduated right on time,not years early. Second child was accepted into all of his college choices, deferred and is a professional dancer. 3rd-5th are still in school. They dance, row, do 4-H, boyscouts, gymanstics, farm, hold jobs, spend the night with friends, go to movies, volunteer work,,etc. I firmly believe that if you value education, it works for the kids however they receive it. Social issues occur to kids whether attending school or not, but they seem to be remarked upon more for the homeschoolers. When wsa the last time anyone said"he's a social misfit, its probably because his family makes him go to school".???

Sleeping Beauty

We are considering homeschooling next year for my 13 yr old DD. I also believe that as long as you keep them involved in other social outlets, dance, volunteering and they keep in touch with friends that the social issue is not a problem. Controversly, my oldest daughter went to a public high school which was merged with another high school and had a heck of a time socially, since our district was the incoming school, many of the kids were treated like outcasts and had a tough time fitting in on the sports teams, etc. So, I believe it is all about the individual and the circumstances. There are many kids who are isolated even when they are in a public school setting.

swanchat

tsavoie,

It sounds like have provided your children with a fine, well rounded education.That is the goal whether it's homeschool, public or private school. I am sincere when I say that I believe our educational system is letting our children down; apparently, that is your experience as well. You addressed the deficiencies by taking the homeschool route.

Interestlingly, dd's current private school is less able to accept individual educational interests than our public school system. We are blessed with an excellent public high school who will count ballet as PE and allow my daughter to take a different language choice independently (through BYU).We are blending the homeschool approach with brick and mortar so I guess you would call it hybrid education! We just need the hybrid car to help with the added fuel costs of an extra trip per day to ballet! :ermm: It will allow more time for ballet training but more importantly, dd will receive an excellent education that has a curriculum based on her interests, talents and abilities plus the necessary basics of a fine education. It has not been easy to put a hybrid education together and I am certain that providing an excellent well-rounded homeschooled education has not been easy either but persistence does work.

I know several homeschooled children, 99% are socially well adjusted. They are normal teenagers with all that goes with the age! The other 1% had a difficult time in a group academic environment early on (in grammar school) and homeschooling has answered the need to educate without worrying about their individual overwhelming social issues. I suspect those kids would continue to be 'social misfits' no matter where they received schooling. BTW, I happen to know one of your sons and he is a very well adjusted, socially able young man (and a wonderful dancer as well!) Your hard work really paid off! :clapping:

Clara 76

ABSOLUTELY. Thank you.

I refuse to get into an argument about the state of our public schools, simply because I know how I feel when people state the usual mantra (socialization, lacking skills) about homeschooling and urge me to rush my children to the nearest building containing desks and teachers.

Children can have poor socialization skills even though they've attended public schools. Guess what- public school may not be the answer for every kid, just as homeschooling may not either.

I didn't begin homeschooling because of dance; I began homeschooling because my son was not being challenged and he hated learning. He was bored out of his skull. The "public" school couldn't offer me a solution because his IQ test was 2 points lower than the Genius criteria they used to place kids in the Gifted and Talented Program. 2 points.

So I knew I had no choice: Either get a 2nd job, never see my family, and not spend any time with my children so that I could send the oldest to private school; or homeschool.

I chose homeschool and for us, it has been wonderful.

My oldest son can:

Balance a checkbook, cook gourmet meals, find Vanuatu on the globe, calculate how much paint he'll need to redecorate his room, tell you which party many previous presidents belonged to, tell you how the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are supposed to function, tell you how to calculate interest rates, find a good mortgage, bank and insurance policy, budget, shop for healthy foods and plan nutritional meals, read any book you put in front of him, tell you about different countries and cultures and their systems of govenment; tell you who the Prime Minister of England is (although based on recent events....perhaps not for long), and most importantly, if he doesn't know the answer, he can find it. He can also sustain friendships and relationships, can talk about his feelings, and has learned how to soul-search.

He can't: calculate X#j+x3/4~ over fg56/>d because he has no need for that, but he'd be able to find the answer should it ever crop up in the course of life. He can't give you the precise angle of a lopalologram, but when that crosses his path, he'll let you know.

As I stated in an earlier post:

I think it goes back to why a person chooses to homeschool; if a person chooses to homeschool to protect their children from the world, therein could lie the problem. If on the other hand, a person chooses to homeschool because they wish to broaden their children's knowledge base, then socialization opportunities arise quite often.

And:

And parents, if you're worried about a homeschooled child's "Plan B", you can relax. Ivy League schools are actually seeking homeschooled children because they tend to be very well-rounded, intelligent, organized, creative thinkers.

And:

I know I'm not letting this go, but it's because there are so many myths and misconceptions out there, and the truth is, there are many different ways to educate people. I think that each family needs to choose what works best for them, and that very well may be a traditional education in a school building, or it may not. Either way, people on either side of the fence needn't disparage the other.

superchauffer

Clara76, thank you for your post! I'm glad to see someone present a clear and positive side to homeschooling without disparaging other forms of education. I have been debating about whether to throw my hat into the ring of this discussion, but you have presented my thoughts clearly. As a public school educator and now a homeschool mom, I did not undertake the responsibility of my children's education lightly. Quite the opposite, I researched thoroughly, as I'm sure most dedicated homeschoolers do. We began homeschooling long before dance became so prominent in our lives.

So depsite all the studies about socialization and academics that I have read, I can tell you that the best compliment I have ever received from an adult about dd was not that she is a talented dancer or gifted student, but that she was someone whom they would like to be friends with even if they didn't know me. :clapping:

tsavoie

I truly believe that if you are interested in your children's education and you love your children, it will work out wherever and however they are educated. One of the great things in our lives is the ability to make choices that work for ourselves and our families, even if we all make differing ones.

beckyb

As far as standardized testing, in Texas a parent of a homeschooled child can arrange for the student to take the appropriate level examination. In NC, I was surprised to find out that the state monitors homeschoolers; they must register with the state and students must take AND PASS the End-Of-Grade tests, or parents are required to register the kids in school.

That said, I have never met a homeschooled child who couldn't ACE any state test. :clapping: Most of them have a maturity or sophistication in their thinking that many public school kids lack. I applaud all of you who do such a wonderful job teaching your kids how to USE their education!

Clara 76

I agree completely. I support each family's right to make those decisions, and if public education works well for your family, and you believe in it, I'm in your corner. I have always been an advocate for education, regardless of the form it takes.

ballerine177

I also agree. Do whatever is best for the child so that they reach their full potential. Homeschooling can be great when done properly. There are some people at my studio who homeschool. Some of them are very smart and do fine. However, some of them really are lacking a solid education. :rolleyes:

dancinshoes

This has been a wonderful thread. Thank you to everyone who has shared their experience. The hybrid educational option sounds very interesting and something I hadn't considered. Am I understanding that the high school will provide everything but the language and PE classes?

Have those of you that have "gone before" found that your ballet programs are flexible? Sometimes it seems as though I am asking for more flexiblity from the academic school than from the ballet school. :thumbsup:

swanchat

Yes, in our case the high school will provide the core courses: Math, English, Social Studies and Science and as importantly, they will accept on-line courses for Language (and others) and count ballet as PE. Yes, I agree that it feels as though the academic school is more flexible than the ballet school. To be fair, the high school has flexibility through the number of sections and courses offered, the ballet school could not possibly afford to offer the number and diversity of courses each day.....

dancinshoes

That sounds like a great program that you have worked out for your dk. Point well made about the ballet school's ability to be flexible with classes. When I was posting, I was referring to flexiblity with regard to our taking "core" ballet classes and filling in with other classes throughout the week (at the home ballet school).

I'm new at posting and will hopefully get the hang of how my posts "sound" soon.

seeker

Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread. The thoughtful comments, and links to programs, are much appreciated. My daughter and I will make good use of these, as we work out plans for high school, and beyond.

tendu

I study with the U of NE idenpendent study high school right now and it is fantastic. Very challenging. My dance teacher used it when she was in high school, and so did a former student of hers who dances with Stuttgart Ballet now.

Latte_and_laptop

One challenge in CA is the a-g requirements, which come into play if your DD/DS wants to go to a 4-year CA university. Virtual learning schools, however great the curriculum, don't pass the qualifications for a-g certification. CA high schools are working around that through charter schools, which typically meet 2 to 3 days in the early hours and have students do assignments on the off days. Our DD is going to try one of those for her freshman year and see how it goes. The only drawback is the limited curriculum. She came from a virtual school with a fantastic breadth of arts and sciences, and she is having to take French through BYU for French I credit simultaneously with the charter school's required Spanish I. That's a bit of a hassle, but the tradeoff is group literature discussion, hands-on science experiments monitored by a credentialed science teacher (not mom or dad as lab assistants :wink: )

Of course none of this is an issue if your DD/DS is willing to go to a junior college and transfer into a CA university as a junior. And I know UC Riverside is experimenting with homeschoolers' admission, so maybe it's just a matter of time before the biases break down :( .