Sign in to follow this  
ami1436

Articles: Ballet as social practice

ami1436

While prepping for something else today, I came across this article:

Journal: Qualitative Research, 2006 vol 6:4, p. 535-558

http://qrj.sagepub.com/

Varieties of habitus and the embodiment of ballet

Wainwright, Steven P. - Williams, Clare - Turner, Bryan S.

Abstract: The overall aim of our research was to produce an ethnography of ballet as a social practice. We draw upon our fieldwork at the Royal Ballet (London) where we conducted 20 in-depth interviews with ballet staff, and observed 'the company at work', in class, rehearsal, and performance. We explored dancers' (n = 9) and ex-dancers' (who are now administrators, teachers, and character dancers: n = 11) perceptions of their bodies, dancing careers, and the major changes that have occurred in the world of ballet over their professional lives. In this article, we draw upon Pierre Bourdieu's notions of habitus, physical capital and cultural capital. The main focus of our article is an extended discussion of our threefold distinction between individual habitus, institutional habitus and choreographic habitus. Although our ethnography of the body is set within the elite cultural field of professional classical ballet, we hope that our research adds to debates on the interrelationships between individuals and institutions, the body and society, and on the salience of Bourdieu's notion of habitus for understandings of the social world.

There is another article by Wainwright in the same journal, 2004, vol 4:3. It is apparently based on the same research, and looks at injury, identity, and the balletic body.

Dance_Scholar_London

That looks great. Do you have the full-version of it by any chance? :o

ami1436

DSL, I was convinced you had read this already!!! :green: Email me.

Dance_Scholar_London

I must have missed this one, but it just came out last year.... :-) will email you

ami1436

As the discussion on pointe shoes and ages is on a parents forum, I thought I'd put this here - if the mods deem it appropriate I guess they can repost the information there or I am willing to do so. But, beware that a lot of the leading journals in any field are most easily accessible at academic institutions. DSL and I are both postgraduate students, so that helps in our access. Out of curiousity today, I just did a random search on one of the portals on 'ballet', and there are loads of research articles that come up, many specifically dealing with the foot, the ankle, bone density, pointe work, adolescents, etc... There are really a variety of studies out there, and if one is truly interested in finding them, a day pass to a nearby university library might be extremely helpful.

Dance_Scholar_London
There are really a variety of studies out there,

Journals:

Medical Problems of Performing Artists (PAMA)

Journal of Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) :clapping: