Ballet Talk for Dancers
Taradriver

Archived College Congrats 2007-2017

Taradriver

As the May 1st Candidates Reply Date is approaching, I though it might be nice to have a consolidated list of what university dance programs our talented dk's are off to for Fall 2007, as well as those programs our dk's were accepted to. This list may be of assistance to those who will be seniors in the future. Remember, the board rules don't allow comparisons.

YIKES! Could a mod puleeze correct my grammatical error in the topic subtitle? Just remove the parentheses. Thanks!

dance1soccer1

My DD has decided to put college off a few years, and concentrate on her dance career - but we definitely recommend two of her top college offers: UNCC/NCDT partnership, an excellent academic college and an innovative dance program. This looked and sounded fabulous, and the college certainly seemed willing to to juggle requirements around so that DD could dance more hours than were originally offered. The other is Otterbein College, which also came across with fabulous scholarships. They only offer a dance minor, but their academic program is awesome. They were willing to do whatever it took to allow DD to take any outside ballet class or performance opportunity around (multiple studios and BalletMet Columbus are in the local area) while working on a poly sci major/dance minor. We would have been happy to see her go either place, but she clearly has other plans! She got in everywhere she applied but Juilliard, so being a ballet girl paid off academically and scholarship-wise. Those of you just beginning that particular trek, congrats and good luck. Senior year is something else. I'm glad I have a breather before I begin Round II with my son.

Taradriver

No secret here, my dd's off to TCU for a BFA in Ballet. She had a heck of a time deciding between TCU, UIowa and Cal State Long Beach. DD got into 7 schools, but these were her top 3.

joyellen

I'll chime in Taradancer! My DD ended up choosing SUNY Purchase. It was a tough decision. She also auditioned for and was accepted to Point Park and Utah. We didn't visit Utah (video audition) so she didn't have as much of a feel for that program, but she really liked the people at Point Park, and they offered her some very nice scholarships. In the end, I think it was proximity to NYC (friends and art galleries) that tipped the balance. That and the campus visit where she really got a chance to evaluate the strength of the faculty and dancers. The biggest lesson I learned in all of this is to explore every option; there is more financial assistance out there than I realized, particularly if your dancer has a strong academic record.

tarasmydancer

So...for my first post, I will let you all know that my daughter will be a ballet performance major at the University of Oklahoma. It was pretty much a case of the planets aligning. She was very impressed by the program, facilities, and opportunities (performance tours overseas, a relationship with Tulsa Ballet). Then, she received a generous (nearly full-ride) academic scholarship for being a National Merit Finalist, which sealed the deal! She also received a merit scholarship from the dance department. Girls from her studio company are currently at Florida State, Utah, SUNY Purchase, and Indiana, but so far none have gone to OU. However, a couple of dancers she knows through her summer experiences (Joffrey Midwest and Craft of Choreography) are there, and they have good things to report. Right now it seems so very far away to me (we live in Michigan), but I suppose I need to get used to her being far from home! Thank goodness for email, etc.! And with her lovely scholarships, I guess I can afford a few more plane tickets!

I might also add that Ballet Talk was extremely helpful as we researched her options...so thanks for the excellent info!

glissade_jete

tarasmydancer,

Just wanted to let you know that I am a freshman ballet performance major here at the University of Oklahoma, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer!

tarasmydancer

Thank you g-j, that's SO nice of you. I'll let my daughter know, too (she's FYBTara on this site). Have you enjoyed your first year? Any advice (things you wish someone would have told you, or things you were glad someone did)?

balletbooster

tarasmydancer, there is a thread for the University of Oklahoma (my alma mater :hyper: ) on the Higher Ed forum. If you will post your questions about the school/program there, I'm sure that glissade and others will be happy to share their experiences and help out with information. Let's keep this thread to its original intent, which is to share college decisions with others on the board. :)

2llori

I'll add to this list, altho I have posted most of this elsewhere--my dd is going to Cal State Long Beach--factors in her decision were the in-state tuition, the business program to which she was accepted, the beautiful dance facilities and great faculty and the ability to minor in dance, and the relative closeness to home. Prospective students and parents--Ballet Talk is a great resource to help you!

jsn

My dd is going to Duke this fall and was so sure this was the best fit for her that she applied early decision and has known she was accepted since December. She chose Duke because it offered her great academics in a moderate climate where she could continue to dance at a high level without having to commit her life to it at this time. She loved seeing all the other accomplished dancers that participate in this program and Duke has made a commitment to developing their dance program, including a dance major. The area also seems to have a great appreciation for the arts, in general. My dd, however, will probably minor in dance and explore other areas of life for a while (maybe even "tent" for basketball tickets"!). She is thrilled to have her passion under the same roof as her school after spending her high school years split between school and pre-professional dance training. We'll let you know how it works! :)

marzipan

DD is excited that she will be attending Butler in Fall 07! After many visits to campuses during her junior year she narrowed down her audition and application list to those that she really knew would be a good fit for her. We visited SUNY Purchase, Marymount Manhattan, Boston Conservatory, Butler, Point Park and CCM. In addition to Butler, she ended up auditioning for Point Park, CCM, and the University of Alabama. She was very fortunate to be accepted to all of the above and chose Butler, which was her last audition and the last letter that she received!

I have found through all of this that there are so many wonderful dance programs out there and you just have to find the one that suits your child's needs. I am glad to be through this process and have learned so much about the different programs through visits and this board! Good luck to those in the future gradutating classes - I cannot stress how much reading the posts on this well moderated board has facilitated this stressful, yet exciting process!

jsn

I totally agree with Marzipan! This website has been invaluable, particularly getting input from present students at the schools, as well as graduates of the programs. It has also been great to visit vicariously through others' reports of their on site visits. And yes....it has been exciting to find so many options and ways to continue dancing during the college years. THanks BTD! :)

Karen

DD has opted for SMU over TCU, btw, many thanks to Apple for calling and talking with her and answering all of her questions and balletboyrhys for the email!

BT really comes through when you need info!!! :dry:

Momof3darlings

Congratulations Marzipan to you and your DD! We've been waiting to hear of your final decision and are excited for you!!!

cricket

Congratulations to all!

My DD is entering her junior year, and she is just beginning to request information from colleges about BFA's in dance. I would love to hear the impressions of the various schools you and your dancers have visited in your college search. Perhaps if any of you have time, you can post your impressions on the appropriate college thread?

Marzipan, I am interested in your thoughts in particular as the colleges you visited are on my DD's short list.