Ballet Talk for Dancers
Taradriver

Archived College Congrats 2007-2017

Robin G

Balletbooster, This all sounds really great! You just never know! :thumbsup: Congrats to all the others who'll be college bound!

balletbooster

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. :wub: I'll most assuredly keep you posted on life for a dance major at KU! Look for the KU thread on the Colleges and University forum for updates. :grinning:

happyfeet24

Wow! Balletbooster, this is incredibly wonderful for you and your talented daughter. It's so incredible to watch all of the changes that are happening and the different directions that are manifesting for our dancing kids. It's amazing how our eyes continue to be opened and our minds expanded as the years of dancing progress. Congratulations to both of you and to all others who have shared college plans in this thread. I'm in awe.

mirabray

Balletbooster

Congrat! The unexpected suprise, how sweet was that for you.

calamitous

Balletgirl19892003

Congratulations on your Fordham/Ailey acceptance. THis is the route my DD is currently highly considering. Enjoy NYC and the program and I hope you will periodically post and let people know how the program works.

vagansmom

Congratulations to balletbooster's daughter! It's terrific that she got that surprise scholarship and that she's found her path to get both an academic and a dance education - that's such a big decision to make! :blushing:

Congratulations, too, to Balletgirl19892003! I know two girls who took that path at Fordham/Ailey and loved the program. It's a good, strong program. As with balletbooster's daughter, what a great choice you've made - getting your academic education along with your dance education. :wub:

pointebabe4ever

I decided on Butler next year. After auditioning for NYU, Indiana, Oklahoma, CCM, Mercyhurst, Dominican/LINES, Forhdam/Ailey, I decided Butler was the best fit for me. A good sized academic scholarship was helpful as well

WaltzingThroughMyDreams

I have had my decision for a while now (I was admitted Early Decision), but I will be attending Columbia University (Columbia College) in the fall and taking dance classes at Barnard College. I will most likely be pursuing a concentration in dance, which is equivalent to a minor at other schools. However, there is always the possibility of a major if scheduling works in my favor.

ktv
I have had my decision for a while now (I was admitted Early Decision), but I will be attending Columbia University (Columbia College) in the fall and taking dance classes at Barnard College. I will most likely be pursuing a concentration in dance, which is equivalent to a minor at other schools. However, there is always the possibility of a major if scheduling works in my favor.

I am so inspired by all of your posts; my daughter will be attending the Fordham/Ailey program in the fall. I would love to connect with others who are also attending. I will certainly keep everyone posted on her experience.

Edited by ktv

Guest balletandsynchro

Congrats to your daughter balletbooster! What a nice surprise - I'm sure she'll have a fantastic experience!

Taradriver

What a fantastic list to date! DK's (and parents), take a bow! :blushing:

If nothing else, this list proves that there are many good options available.

socalgal

Congrats WTMD for your acceptence to Columbia University! (love your screen name!)

I hope that you love it as much as my daughter is loving it there. She danced pro for several years and decided to trade in her pointe shoes for college as of January '07. There are several students with strong dance training there and also many former pro dancers from a multitude of pro companies who are attending school there. They have enjoyed sharing their past careers with each other as well as sharing their new life adventures. The dance classes on campus are fine. But do not ignore the vast variety of classes offered in the city. It is quite a unique and exciting culture to add to your educational experiences as well. :dry:

WaltzingThroughMyDreams

Thank you so much socalgal! I'm very excited about starting school in the fall, and it's good to hear that there are so many strong and talented dancers taking class there and benefiting from the experience. I am certainly interested in venturing into the city for additional classes, but would you mind sharing some classes or teachers within the dance department that your daughter particularly enjoyed?

dancemaven
. . . but would you mind sharing some classes or teachers within the dance department that your daughter particularly enjoyed?

Please do! BUT---please do so over on the appropriate dedicated college thread so that this thread can stay on-track. :dry:

hborn2dance

I was accepted to both Mercyhurst and Point Park. I had decided on Mercyhurst however I injured my back and after many tests and doctors visits, it was determined that I have spondylolysis, which is a stress fracture in the pars interarticularis of my L5 vertebra. In my case it is bilateral (both sides). The good news is that over time I should get better. The bad news is that I am not going to be able to dance for awhile. As a result, I have decided that I probably won't be ready for the strenuous college program by August, so I am not going to major is dance at this point and will go to a completely different school.

Good luck to everyone who is continuing the dream. Right now, I just look forward to being able to dance again, even if it is just for my own pleasure. I will always love ballet and I know how much its done for me. I am a better person for all the hard work and I know that I am a better prepared 17 year old than I would be without having danced.