Ballet Talk for Dancers
DancinFeet

Dancer's Salary?

tennisandhearts

really who can live on this money???

tennisandhearts

still..i ask who can live on that???

lavendergrl

My civic company is in its first year. There don't seem to be any funds available period, so my question is: Is anyone making money in this business? I teach for nearly nothing because my profits all go to rent. I do choreographic projects for free for use of performance facilities. I'm putting my money directly into the company from my own bank account to keep it afloat. The trade off is that dancing, teaching, and choreographing helps me maintain my sanity, quite seriously. An income would be nice, but for now I really am okay doing this as an act of service to the dancers coming through my door aching to have a venue to utilize their skills. For the most part none of them will ever dance professionally, but many are very talented and should have the opportunity to dance. They pay the company a small fee in order to help cover rent of rehearsal space, costumes, and cost of what publicity we create. I'm pretty certain their parents are more than grateful to see their children getting a little more use out of the years of training they invested in.

While it would be nice to dance for a "living", I think most of us in this business dance because we don't know any other way to live.

Momof3darlings

Most can't tennisandhearts. It is possible because of parents who help pay rent, or dancers who work extra jobs (sometimes 2 or 3) to make ends meet. In 90% (or more) of the companies in the US, it doesn't pay the dancers enough to live. Those that "look" like they might are in areas where cost of living is higher so it doesn't balance out to more money in large amounts. They do it because it is something they love knowing one day they will make enough to live later in another line of work. They can "get by"now or can find ways.

tennisandhearts

I just really had no idea it was that low! Wow...

Clara 76

tennisandhearts-

take a look at my post (#60) on page 4 of this thread. There you will find links to find current salary information for AGMA companies.

cahill

Momof3darlings knows! The answer is the parents. Also most contracts are not 52 weeks long. Many companies have layofffs (longest during the summer) and the rent still needs to be paid. Most times the layoff is not long enough for the dancers to get other jobs. During the season they are at the studio all day and need to be available for performances which are at night time and weekends. Once the dancers are more established in their careers they do guesting and teach. It is especially difficult for the dancers who are just starting with a company.

Guest pink tights

And a tip of the hat to all the "momof3darlings" out there who are supporting their DK's dreams! :)