Ballet Talk for Dancers
big64day

College Pedagogy Programs w/State Teaching Cert.

big64day

I am just too excited about finding this forum! I came looking for a specific piece of information, and now I find I have 1000 questions! Yeah!

At any rate, my daughter loves ballet and dance. She does, however, clearly realize that she will not be a professional ballerina. I don't believe that she really wants that either. What she does want is to share her love of dance--especially ballet--through teaching. It is her dream to own a dance studio someday.

Do any of you have any information about dance education programs? She wants to get a teaching certificate, and knows that there are very few programs out there. We live in Michigan, and I believe that Hope College is the only Dance Ed program in the state. Kent State has a program as well.

dancemaven

big64day, look in the college/university forums. There are many, many colleges/universities that have 'dance education' programs. Typically, the dance departments in the schools have a 'performance' focus and a 'pedagogy' focus. The pedagogy classes are the ones that focus on teaching 'how to teach'.

Some of the dance programs are quite competitive to get into and require an audition on top of admission to the university itself. Others are less competitive and do not require auditions, just admission. Others are in-between in that regard.

Get a nice cup of coffee, pull up a comfortable chair, and enjoy reading and learning! You'll be amazed at all the perspective and orientation you can get from hanging out here. :angry:

big64day

Dancemaven--I took your advice and went into that section. My search results were a bit overwhelming. I am a teacher myself. I teach at a high school with a fine arts academy, and know that two of our fine dance teachers were displaced to other positions due to NCLB. Neither of them had endorsements for "dance." One had a PE endorsement, and was an accomplished dancer. The other had a social studies endorsement, but again was a successful dancer.

I am sort of insisting that she pursue this route as opposed to being a straight dance major. She is a natural teacher, and has loved her short stints as an assistant in beginning ballet classes and creative movement camps held at a local studio. She wants to teach, so it makes the most sense to both of us.

I searched for "dance education programs" and that didn't really work. Only one of the colleges that I know offers teaching certificates for dance was listed in the main colleges/universities section--in our geographic region at least. Any suggestions to narrow my search?

Victoria Leigh

Not sure about certificates, as most teachers do not have them unless they have graduated from an RAD or Cecchetti program, or, the Vaganova School in Russia. In college programs they can major in Dance, with an emphasis on performance or pedagogy, but I don't know any that offer teaching certificates.

That said, the best way to become a good teacher is to become a VERY good dancer, preferably with as much performing experience as possible. It does not have to be major company experience, but just experiencing life as a working dancer, learning a lot of ballets and roles, and hopefully touring a bit, will bring a great deal of added ability to the study of teaching. Being a good dancer does not automatically make a good teacher at all, however, it can bring additional ability, especially in terms of teaching higher levels.

Dance_Scholar_London

I believe that most programs will indicate when they offer teacher certification. E.g. TWU offer a BA in Dance with or without teacher certification.

big64day

My DD is entering her Junior year of high school. We have recently begun a serious search for the appropriate post-secondary experience for her. Hope College in Holland, Michigan; Kent State University in Ohio; and Columbia College in Chicago are the only three schools in our "area" that we know have "Dance Education" programs.

Many schools, Western Michigan University for example, have dropped their dance teacher certification programs. It is a shame, as classes such as ballet and jazz are being offered in increasing numbers at public schools as a PE option.

Dance_Scholar_London

If you google for "secondary teacher certification in dance", there are quite a few programs popping up. I am not sure if you are just looking in Michigan, but if you are flexible, you will have a much wider choice. Maybe you want to feed back which programs you found?

big64day
If you google for "secondary teacher certification in dance", there are quite a few programs poping up. I am not sure if you are just looking in Michigan, but if you are flexible, you will have a much wider choice. Maybe you want to feed back which programs you found?

I have done that. I knew about Hope's program, because one of my High School's dance teachers graduated from that program. I found the Kent State and Columbia College program via Google. Someone on this forum may know of a great program that we wouldn't think about.

Edited by big64day

dancingjet

You might try Googling "single subject credential dance" or a variation thereof - the word credential might bring up different results compared to certificate.

Taradriver

TCU offers the option to get a secondary school teaching certificate in dance. There is quite a long thread for TCU on BT4D. tcu.edu is the website.

There is a difference between a dance pedagogy curriculum and a teaching certificate in dance for public schools. Not all pedagogy programs prepare the student for a state teaching certificate. As you no doubt know, there are many education courses, as well as other supporting courses, that must be taken to get the teaching certificate.

You may have an easier time by looking at dance programs of interest first, then inquiring whether or not they have the secondary school certification in dance available. This information will likely be on the college's website. Look at the dance department pages and the education department pages.

With the arts always being one of the first areas to feel cuts, maybe your dd wants to consider an academic area for certifcation as well?

Good luck in your search.!

Gracey

There is a program at the National Ballet School of Canada, which is called the Teacher Training Program.

This program has several choices for training which include a 3 year diploma program for students 18 years and older who have graduated high school.

big64day
With the arts always being one of the first areas to feel cuts, maybe your dd wants to consider an academic area for certifcation as well?

Good luck in your search.!

She is. Right now she thinks that she wants to get an early childhood endorsement, because it is very marketable and would be an excellent credential if she does end up starting a studio. The other area of interest is special education. That is what I do. There is such a need for dance programs for special needs kids, that it might not be a bad idea. Michigan's dance endorsement is K-12, so.....

cricket

I'm not sure if Grand Valley State in western Michigan would fit her requirements... perhaps if she double majored? But the head of GVS is Jefferson Baum & he is a very well respected teacher. My DD has studied with him at Blue Lake and loved him.

Momof3darlings

If you look outside your state, you will find many dance programs which offer the Dance Education credential. Florida State University, University of Georgia are both two where I know graduates who received those degrees and can teach in public schools. Butler also has Dance Pedagogy but I am not sure if it comes with the Education package for public schools or not.

big64day
I'm not sure if Grand Valley State in western Michigan would fit her requirements... perhaps if she double majored? But the head of GVS is Jefferson Baum & he is a very well respected teacher. My DD has studied with him at Blue Lake and loved him.

Unfortunately, they do not certify dance teachers.