Ballet Talk for Dancers
SAMI4166

Ballet Schools in California - Central/North

dancemom02

The New School is in downtown San Jose, and while I am sure there are other parents who commute from the Palo Alto area to attend, it will likely take 30-60+ minutes one way, depending on traffic. While Stanford isn't too far from Hwy 280, there can be a lot of traffic in the area. If you are traveling late afternoon, early evening, there are parts of 280 that wouldn't be bad, but as soon as you get close to San Jose, it's a parking lot all the way to downtown. Traffic in San Jose during commute times - 3:00-7:00p - is unbearable.

There are several smaller ballet schools in and around Palo Alto which would be much closer: Menlo Park Dance Academy, Peninsula Ballet, Western Ballet, Bayer Ballet, and Palo Alto Ballet School. Closest to the university area would be Menlo Park Dance Academy. There is also Bravissimo Dance Studio to the north a bit; not sure how long it would take to get there during commute times. Bravissimo, I think, has a day program for home schoolers (or at least they did). They also have a very good reputation and most of their dancers are quite serious. Hardcore competition school.

thuanphung

Is there a particular school that folks would recommend? I am looking for a program with long hours and preferably only ballet.

dancemaven

thuanphung, on BT for D , we don't make specific recommendations for schools, but our members do share their first-hand experiences with the schools. So, it will be up to you to evaluate the information members generously provide and then make a determination as to which school(s) best meet your personal needs. :D

thuanphung

Does anyone know have experience with The New School pre-pro program? I have looked on yelp and couldn't find much. I did take a look at Silicon Valley Ballet and San Jose Ballet's yelp page, some reviews criticized the training. Also, any thoughts on Los Gatos Ballet would be great!

mamabee

The New School is quite literally a new school in the sense that it became independent once the affiliated company dissolved so there probably won't be much in terms of online reviews just yet, but their pre-pro program from what I can tell is pretty serious, and the Studio Company is a full-time program. The school is accredited by ABT and hosts their summer intensive for young dancers. A few of their dancers got professional jobs within the last year (BalletMet, Houston Ballet, etc).

NBS Senior Pre-Pro program: http://www.newballetschool.org/spp

Pre-Pro schedules and hours: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/878731e7d8cad5983fc3b94d5/files/Tuition_Schedule_Seniors_2016_2017.pdf

Studio Company: http://www.newballetschool.org/studio-company

dancemom02

The New School has the same director and faculty as Ballet San Jose School, as well as the same curriculum (ABT) and facilities. The director and main faculty have been there and teaching for many, many years, so I think you can use BSJS reviews from this site and elsewhere as fairly accurate portrayals of the school's training. I would, however, not use reviews going back further than 2012 as that is when the previous school director, Lise la Cour, and company founder, Dennis Nahat left and the school went through major curriculum (and teaching philosophy) changes.

PreProTeacher

Check out www.pbt.academy in San Jose

Edited by PBTA

MarinMomInTX

Reviving this thread - are there any pre-pro schools in the Bakersfield area? TIA.